WINNER WONDERLAND

Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro
“Superb Location, beautiful building”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

The location at Ponce de Leon and Miracle Mile cannot be beat in Coral Gables. The facilities are OK, but teh service is spotty. They are always very polite but miss many seemingly routine things. Luggage delivery is very slow, rooms are aoften amde up leaving soap/shampoo/toilet papaer unrenewed. There are sparse Platinum amenities.

On weekends there are often wedding receptions with noice taht can cause ear damage if your room is below the third floor.

On the good side, location and polteness. I still stay here regualrly, so it is not that bad!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jbcarioca
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thanks so much for your recent review here on Tripadvisor. I am glad your liked both the location and the politeness of my ambassadors. i wil advise housekeeping of missing amenities during your stay. We are in some respects lucky in that our rooms actually are in a separate building that the Rotunda where we do hold social events, I am surprised that you heard the party from your room. Please do come back to the Westin on your next visit and contact me direclty and I will insure your visit is an inspired one. Thanks again and Be Well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

I've stayed at the Westin Colonnade on 8 occasions for 3 or 4 nights per trip during May and June 2011. The rooms are dated and the mattresses are very soft lacking any back support for those who enjoy a firmer mattress. The hallways are narrow, dark and turn in multiple directions. The location is very convenient in the center of Coral Gables with many dining and shopping options.

On a recent trip I was offered an accessible room for persons with disabilities. I walked to the room and took a quick look over and decided this wasn't the type of room I'd require for a 4 night stay. I asked for a different room and the front desk associate told me very assuring the room wasn't an accessible room. I offered to walk with her to the room and have a look for herself. She declined and blamed ‘the computer system’. The front desk associate located another room next to the elevator and again I gave the room the benefit of doubt and had a look. The rooms located next to the elevator while rather spacious you will certainly hear the elevators traveling between floors all hours of the night. Again, this wasn't acceptable for me on a 4 night stay. I went back to the front desk and at this point the front desk staff was really put off with my lack of gratitude for the worst rooms in the hotel. The front desk associate told me no more rooms were available even though other guests continued to check in during this time. I waited a bit for a 3rd room while the front desk tried to locate another room and decided enough was enough I would find a hotel who valued my business and customer loyalty. I would definitely recommend the Hyatt Coral Gables which is professionally operated, well lit and the rooms are updated. It’s hands down a much nicer and well run property.

As a SPG member with 485 lifetime hotel nights, my loyalty to Starwood Hotels is unquestionable, this was disappointing to me that the issue couldn't be resolved. Starwood should audit this independently owned and operated property to ensure Westin protocols are being observed. In my opinion the Westin Coral Gables front desk staff could use additional customer service training and take better care of business traveler guests who are important customers.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Snouchy
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Snouchy, first let me apologize for your recent treatment by one of my Ambassadors at Service Express. As a loyal guest to Starwood and in particular our Hotel i would have thought that you would receive an upgrade let alone either an accessible room or one by the elevators. I will review this issue with my team.

Secondly, i am sorry to hear that our Heavenly Bed is not firm enough for your needs, I usually hear the opposite in that the bed is incredbile! Our renovation was not that long ago, are you having issues with all Westin beds or just ours? if you having issues only here, i can make arrangements to get you into a room where you were most satisfied previously. I have also emailed you my contact information....please reachout to me and I will ensure your next stay is a refreshing one. Thanks and Be Well
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

I reserved a room for one night in this hotel and I really liked it since I arrived. The staff was very friendly. I was given a corner room on the 5th floor, the room was very nice, the beds very comfortable and the bathroom very well cleaned. Next day as I woke up I decided to stay for another night, went to the Front Desk and the supervisor in charge extended my reservation promptly. This was a very nice stay and I'll definetely visit this hotel in the future. I'll recomend it to friend and family as well.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your kind words about your stay here in Coral Gables! If your travels bring you back in the near future please give me a call and I will insure your stay is an inspired one. Be Well
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

I can see how about 15-20 yrs ago, Coral Gables and the Westin Colonnade were something very unique and high end. But today, the area has become 2nd rate, and is attempting to cling to it's affluent past.

-Rooms were old, needed updating

-Staff, including concierge, were not helpful or particularly well informed. In fact, for all of them, English was a second language. Most found it difficult to even communicate with me and my wife.

-Surrounding area ("miracle" mile- what a joke) were nothing special, and quite depressing actually.

-Rooms were dusty, needed major cleaning overhaul. When we asked the hotel staff, they looked at us like we had 2 heads!

-NOT worth the lowest advertised rate of $275. Luckily, I didn't pay for it!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank P-Fogg-1873
GUJUsweatpee, my apologies that your recent stay here in the Gables was not as expected. I am not sure when you last travelled to the Gables but I have been here at the Westin since its opening in 2007. Our hotel was completely renovated at that time and so I am unsure what you mean as rundown. My Concierge Joaquin is fluent in both Spanish and English and has been with the Hotel for over 10 years, I am not sure if that is whom you spoke but he is very knowledgable of the area. I appreciate your taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor and if your travels bring you back to the area please contact me directly and i will be more than happy to insure your stay is refreshing. Be Well
New England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I was looking forward to my stay at this Westin for a work meeting. This Westin may have been a grand hotel a long time ago but it is showing its age. I judge hotels by bathrooms and linens. Both were aged. Accumulations of gunk and old dingy grout in the bathroom and old bed linens that I could feel the pilling as I slept.

Like a vintage car that needs detailing, this could use some attention to detail..

If I had not been here on a group rate and paid full Westin prices, I would have been very unhappy. I am just disappointed.

Maybe Starwood should come up with a new class for this and call it Westin Classic or Westin Vintage. This certainly doesn't meet up with other Westin locations.

And $18.95/day for internet that is fast enough for today's internet? That is just rude.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Atlanticus73
Let me first apologize that you found our hotel here in the Gables a bit tired. We have been a Westin hotel for 5 years and generally we receive nothing but compliments on our Heavenly Bed and associated linens. I will pass along your comments to my Executive Hskper regarding the grout (we have beige grout in the shower and when its wet the apprearance is not all that appealing at times). My apologies on the Internet cost, Starwood has already started to offer complimentary to its Platinum SPG's and i can see a day where this charge will go away altogether. I do hope if your travels bring you back tot he Gables, you will call me directly and I will for certain make your stay a Refreshing one. Thanks and Be Well
Wilton, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

My 9 year old daughter and I stayed at the hotel for just one night to start our vacation. It's an easy cab ride from Miami airport. We had a nice room with very comfortable beds! The service was excellent. Room service breakfast was very nice. It was a short stay, but we would surely come back. The location in Coral Gables is great too. It's a short stroll to the great shopping and restaurants on the Miracle Mile.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for the positive review and just let me know when your travels will bring you back to the Gables for a longer stay! We are reciewing all new Pool furnishings in mid July to make your next stay even more refreshing. Be Well!
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed here three nights in March. We had a slight problem with our reservation and the staff, went far above what was required to help us get it straightened out. Our room was large, beautiful and restful with a divine bed. The pool and hot tub were clean relaxing. The location worked well, easy walking distance to wonderful restaurants and easy drive into Miami and local beaches. We would stay here again and recommend it. There were no negatives to our stay and many surprising benefits, especially the wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
I just was notified of your most complimentary posting here on Tripadvisor....I will pass along that your stay was a refreshing one to all of my Ambassadors, If it remains too cold in Boston by all means come back to Coral Gables....Be Well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!