“Great Experience”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Experience”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel is located in Coral Gables which is a very nice area of Miami. The hotel is older but well maintained. The rooms are clean and every person we encountered was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is close to downtown attractions but far enough away to be quiet and we felt safe. South Dixie Highway can be really busy at rush hour so you might want to plan accordingly. Our room was quiet and the bed was wonderful. I slept like a baby. There is free parking on site. There is a restaurant at the hotel and there are a number within walking distance or just a short drive away. The courtyard is gorgeous with a pool and well-maintained, beautifully landscaped grounds.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 16, 2014

An acceptable choice. Decent room, bed. Unacceptable wifi service - non-existent for the most part. Not a three star, 2 to 2 1/2 star, but ok at the right price. It has made a decent effort at updating. Calls to front desk regarding wifi were handled politely and as helpfully as possible, but to no avail. Their tech support didn't answer and it wouldn't have helped anyway. I was on the 3rd floor in the middle of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't count on the wifi.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear C M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by our internet connection. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm sure many of the reviews touting this hotel are the UM college students who are being housed here. I'm sure it's nice for them. For non-student guests, it's like staying in a UM fraternity house. BTW, I have nothing against UM students, my child is currently going to school there.
My first day there, housekeeping never came by. When I called them at 3 pm, I was told that they leave at 4. No apologies. Is there anything worse than that silly obligatory phone message that you get when you check in promising how much they care, then when you report an issue, no one cares? I'm sure this review will also solicit some rote comments from the manager, but it doesn't good any good now. Why didn't you care when I was there?
Anyways, back to my review. Bathrooms was dirty and dark. The door wouldn't close right due to it being warped. Beds were fine, middle of the road. Wireless internet was very poor in my room. TV was fine, but most hotels these days have HD channels. Not at the Holiday Inn.
All in all, very average at best. If you read a review of this hotel calling it the best in Miami, obviously ignore it. I'm not sure that it qualifies as the best of the square mile...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank ljayglover
Claudia_Polidori, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a contributor on TripAdvisor.

The issues you experience with the room and with our follow up from our staff, are not acceptable and is something we will address with our team immediately. I apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced and I can assure you this issues will not occur again.

I appreciate your feedback and hope you will allow us to show you a better experience in the future. If you would like to join us again, please contact me directly at cpolidori@soundhospitality.com and I will ensure you are taken care.

Best Regards,

Claudia Polidori
Front Office Manager
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Holiday Inn - Coral Gables is definitely one of the best hotels in Miami that I have ever been for a several reasons. It has a great outside area with a nice pool, a good gym that you can use 24/7.The rooms are really clean, and the housekeeping really works here. The housekeepers are also efficient, specially Margarita, she is always with a big smile, and really wants to help you out with anything that you need. Finally, Holiday inn can be proud for having great people working at the front desk like Billy,Sandy and Jenny there are really helpful, and they want to make your trip the best that it could be.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JasonSandre13
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I came for the Holiday Inn Coral Gables in September 3rd because there was not vacancy in the dorms of University of Miami. Studying English was my objective here objective in reason of a scholarship that I earned from the Brazil Government, but I didn`t imagine how incredible this experience should be. I came up with a very bad English, my English was really terrible, and here I met the most lovely people in the world for becoming this experience one of the best in my life, they work here, Jenny, Sandy, Billy, they are so nice people, so helpful, so faithful, so incredible, they help me with my bad English, they are completely patient with guests, I saw it clearly when they helped the guests, and people with that characteristics are not easily meet in anywhere. Here I met new friends and I was here with a huge group of Brazilian friends.This hotel is completely amazing and all the experiences that I had here I will keep in mind. Moreover, is a safe, beautiful, and enjoyable place, the Holiday Inn Coral Gables summarizes what is best at the best price.There are many reasons for living here, you should choose according with your expectations and needs, and probably the Holiday Inn Coral Gables will get them cause is a amazing hotel in the Coral Gables. One of the most important reasons is the comfort, comfort is something that they have a know-how here. For example, I have many comfortable spaces than the university, for example, my bed is completely big and soft, the housekeeper comes everyday on time and in the right time, my room is big and has a lot of space, equipped with fridge, tables, chairs, wardrobe, carpet, microwave, lcd tv, lamp, nightstand, curtain, and everything that you need for enjoying some days. Another important feature is spaces for leisure and entertainment, that is important because you need enjoy your vacation, just relaxing, or have fun , that spaces significant, the Holiday Inn Coral Gables has pool, gym, and restaurants, besides it is localized in an area where there is a lot of leisure spaces. The third and least point is the exactly place for performing the tasks. For instance, if you are in vacation or another stuff, and need a place to make meetings, for example, the hotel has a lounge reserved for this. Beyond that, if you need doing laundry, the hotel has also a space with many machines for washing and drying the outfit. Therefore is the reason for what you have to choose the Holiday Inn Coral Gables like an inn for enjoying your vacations, studying at University of Miami, or another reasons, me Brenda Matias, I`m sure that you`ll have a good time, completely enjoyable here! That`s my advice for you guys that have interesting!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are very big and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brenda M
Boston
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I needed a hotel in the Miami area for two days in December. I was looking for an inexpensive place with free parking. Now, having attended the University of Miami… I knew the area and some of the hotels in Miami. And I think the Holiday Inn-Coral Gables fits the bill. I also used to get my haircut at the hotel as an undergrad… a great barbershop inside… called “Hot Heads.”

I booked the hotel online using a hotel coupon book rate via holidayinn.com. It was one of the few hotels that allowed an advanced reservation with that excellent rate.

Check-in was a breeze. The front desk staff even remarked at how good that rate was! I also signed off on my hotel registration using a credit card-like signature pad! How cool! My room request was also granted… I wanted a renovated room with a balcony.

The lobby was recently redone and looked refreshed. It had cold water and coffee throughout the day. Also in the lobby were flyers for local attractions, computers with internet access, and free newspapers. The hallways were well air-conditioned as well.

My room was very nice and clean. It looked very modern with great pictures of old Coral Gables inside. Within 10 minutes, I also got a call front the front desk… making sure everything was to my liking. That was a small thing… but added a touch of class to the operations! Well done! The bed was comfortable. AC was a wall unit that could be manipulated to your liking. Rooms also had a refrigerator and safe.

The bathroom was also neat and clean. The only issue? It was very tight quarters. You could hardly dry off after a shower without hitting the door, toilet, or sink. I will also say the towels were not super soft… just average. But I think that’s a Holiday Inn issue… not this specific property. Also the lighting inside was very dark.

The balcony overlooked the nice, tropical courtyard. But if you had a second or third floor balcony room, there was no furniture to sit on. What’s with that? You had to stand or bring room chairs outside to enjoy it.

One other minor thing… there were nice HDTVs in the room… but no HD signal for them. So you had HD capable TVs broadcasting stretched, analog signals. It’s a small thing but an easy fix for the hotel.

I did not eat at the hotel so I can’t comment on that.

But overall, it was an excellent stay at an excellent value in the Coral Gables area.

Room Tip: Request a balcony overlooking the courtyard!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chrisncraz
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel was amazing! Very accomodating staff! From the front desk, May, Billy, Jenny, Angel, Edgar, Sandy, Gabriel, Claudia, just the loveliest people ever! They made my transition into the hotel really smooth. They smile at you and greet you everytime you leave and return to the hotel. The room was also very well kept when I first got there. Houesekeeping also came everyday and maintained the room very well, and they were also the nicest people on earth! Margarita Caso , the best housekeeper you will ever meet! Extremely kind, caring and has a warmth to her that you cannot miss! I learned most of my Spanish from her! Simply the best! Also Mari, Gladys, another Margarita, Basilia, I can still remember all their names because they are very warm and always smile and make you feel at home. They attend to all of your needs right away! The restaurant was also amazing, the people in there gave the best food recommendations, Yomery, Yolanda, and Eric, thank you guys for putting up with so many of my room service calls! And also to the 2 am front desk staff, for endlessly setting up wake up calls for me. Thank you so very much! I wish you all the very best

Room Tip: Live on the third floor and you'll get the best housekeeper!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Courtyard Miami Coral Gables
#4 of 11 in Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!