“Great staff, relaxing setting for my kids”

Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
fort walton beach
“Great staff, relaxing setting for my kids”
Reviewed May 8, 2008

After driving 10 hours by myself with 2 kids to see my Grandma in nearby South Miami Hospital, I was greated by an angel at the front desk. Apparently the reservation I made did not specify "non smoking." With little kids with me, this was very important. I explained our story and apologized for my overtired face. She was so kind, found a perfect room near the pool so that the children could unwind after driving and sitting at the hospital. It made all the difference to have a room close by, when one had to use the restroom and another was still swimming. Traveling alone with 2 children is hard, Althea at the front desk made it easier and with a smile. The kids loved the breakfast buffet and the ability to walk not just to that restaurant, but nearby Friday's was a bonus. Also, the proximity to the metrorail is a big plus. My mother in law does not own a car in the city and takes mass transit. She was able to pop in and visit easily on the train and even take the kids with her to a festival downtown without the hassle of driving in traffic.T he hotel has areas that are run down and some doors have paint peeling, but the location is fantastic and although old, it was very clean. It looks like they are still renovating so I would definitely stay there again.

Thank you again, Althea at the Front Desk!!

• Liked — Location and friendly front desk staff
  • Disliked — questioned security of back door to building.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Took a trip to University of Miami with 17 year old daughter. Location of Holiday Inn is super convenient. Wasn't expecting too much for the $149 price tag.. Lobby and common areas were very nice including the pool. Breakfast buffet was not that great. Food was edible and coffee was good. We stayed on the third floor. Elevators were quick and efficient. Front desk was very helpful with taxis and recommendations. But beware of rooms.

Room wasn't ready at 3:00 check in but we only waited 15 minutes or so. (we had checked in at 10:30am and then came back at 3:00) Room was in desparate need of renovation. Carpet was stained. You couldn't close the room darkening drapes, just the sheers (made that way not broken). This is ok on third floor. Bathroom was the worst part. Shower curtain was mildewed, Sink was slow to drain. Seemed clean but not cared for. We were there for one night so I didn't bother to change. Woke up in the morning and the half the floor was soaked from rain getting in the window. Luckily nothing of mine was near and I was leaving by 8:30 am anyway.

Stayed April 2008
Key Colony Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband, sister & I stayed at this hotel in December, 2007, right after Christmas. We had two rooms, both facing the pool with a nice balcony. The rooms are very clean and they are in the process of updating this hotel which is older but has beautiful architecture. The pool area has lush tropical landscaping and the water is sparkling clean.
We were pleasantly surprised by the attitude of all of the help from LaToya at the front desk to Willy, our bartender/waiter. We sat outside for dinner as the weather was balmy (in December!) We ordered potato pancackes which were made from scratch by Juan, the chef, and they were heavenly! We had a second order they were so good. There is a TGIF's a block down and several other restaurants within walkiing distance plus shopping galore! We have already booked to stay here again in January when we are in the Miami area.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
MN, USA
Reviewed December 31, 2007

This is an older property with an outdoor pool just across University of Miami. The hotel is clean and convenient if you visit U of M. Metrorail stop is 200 yards from the hotel. There are plenty of food establishments close to the hotel, J&J Diner was our favorite.

Stayed December 2007
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 15, 2007

We stayed at this location for a wedding and found the property to be quite old considering we paid considerably to stay there. The room was clean. However, we were situated on the third floor - far away from the elevator or stays. The pool was great. The restaurant buffet was overpriced. I think you may be able to find a better hotel for the same price.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Bushnell, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2007

My son, nephew, and I stayed during the football camp in the summer. Itt is very coveniently located to food and football. We could have walked to UM across the road. Nice after a hard days practice to come back to a cool, clean, room with a pool view!

• Liked — Convenient to UM.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
Reviewed April 21, 2007

My sister and I stayed two nights here while visiting UMiami. On the second day, we returned to our room and found a paper towel smeared with fecal matter lying on the bathroom sink right next to our toothbrushes and retainers. The general manager (Derek McCeleroy) refused to reverse the charges on my credit card, which is the least that I felt I deserved to compensate me for this trouble. He never returned my phone calls about the matter, and it's been a month and the situation is still not resolved. You'll do yourself a service by avoiding this hotel.

Stayed April 2007
Courtyard Miami Coral Gables
#5 of 11 in Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!