WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Perfect Location and Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for part of my trip to Coral Gables. The staff was wonderful - very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean, the pool area was much better than I expected, and the location was unbeatable. It's located right across the street from the University of Miami. I was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Yonne M, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear meinelkm20,

Thank you for taking time on your review on our hotel. It brings us great joy that our staff was able to create such positive feedback on your stay with us! We appreciate your kind words on your room stay and should you return to the area please feel free to reach us personally on your next reservation; we look forward to it!

Many thanks,

Holiday Inn Coral Gables

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed here several times over the past few years visiting my daughter at UM. While I've never been completely happy, this time was over the top the worst. Check in was a disaster. The front desk clerks coudn't get the key card machine to work. After a three employees, hundreds of attempts, and 15 minutes, I was told to go to my room and that housekeeping would meet me there to open up my door. I HEARD them speak to someone from housekeeping. After the long trek to my room - which was the last room down two long hallways -- there was no one there. I waited for 10 minutes -- still no one. At this point I sought out housekeeping, schlepping my bags behind me and finally found someone. Where we had a humorous back and forth exchange with neither of us understanding each other's language. I finally directed her to my room and asked to be let in -- which she did. Not sure if I was happy or frightened by this? Got into the room which was not the King room I had reserved. Instead it was a handicapped double. Being well over 6 feet tall, the short counter top, short shower, etc. was annoying. At this point I was in a hurry and couldn't be bothered to make another trip to the front desk to switch. It was only one night so I endured. The room had NO clock, NO trashcan, and two missing lightbulbs. Furniture was tired and worn and I'm not completely sure the sheets had been changed as the bed was rumpled when I turned the sheets down in the first bed. Obviously slept in the other, but was skeeved just the same. And yes, you do tend to look over your shoulder in the parking lot, not sure if this is warranted, but still felt a bit edge at night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear tallgirl1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason your comments are troubling and will surely be looked into. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience the overall condition of the room and the customer service you received from our staff may have caused. Rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Krysllin G.
Davis, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? The stained carpets, the crumbs/sand (?) in my sheets and bathtub, the lousy Wifi, the indifferent service, the terrible yet pricey food in the restaurant, the location next to a busy expressway...? You get the picture.

This place isn't exactly cheap, either.

I may have to return to U of Miami for business again, and if I do, it will be on the condition that they do NOT put me here!

Oh--the weather WAS fabulous, but I'm pretty sure they don't get credit for that.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear leftydana,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry that our hotel fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Maid Margarita Caso was wonderful with us, very very kind. The room service and Front Desk was excellent. I recommend this hotel only for its service. The balcony was dirty and the emergency exit stairs not so clean at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Eric M,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guest to stay. It's always a pleasure to hear our staff go above and beyond to make our guest stay a pleasant one. However, we regret that you were not satisfied with the level of cleanliness at our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Coral Gables, FL.

Lera P
Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel wasn't our best experience. Everything is old, needs a lot of reno. Some rooms on our floor were undergoing renos but we had to endure the noise and the mess. You're charged for wi-fi but there is not hope to get a connection either from the room or from the lobby. Beds were comfy and there was a choice of pillows but the quality of sleep was poor anyway because of the noise: insulation is poor and you hear your neighbors walking and talking. Plus the maids in the morning made such incredible noise that we felt like we were at a market, not a hotel. They would literally shout to each other from one side of the hallway to the other, and laugh, and what sounded like - play and chase each other. We complained twice but without change. We stayed three nights and didn't get any sleep in the morning.
The quality of cleaning was also a concern: our room was only half done. One of the two beds remained in disarray and we had no towels whatsoever.
The only good thing is the hotel's location: close to the metrorail, 4 stations from downtown Miami.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Yonne M, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Xroust,

Our deepest apologies on your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write your review on your stay. Its very disheartening to hear that on your 3 night stay with us that you did not receive any sleep on any night due to noise. Please be assured that we will address the issue with management and review it to find a solution in order to prevent this from ever occurring again in the future.

We appreciate your feedback on our hotel and we hope that this negative experience has not changed your opinion on our brand. Should you consider our hotel once again in the future, we will see to it that your experience will be the comfortable and relaxing stay it should be.

WA state
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Large room, small bathroom. Very low bathroom counter. Room overlooked a lovely pool, patio. We liked the restaurant quality; I take my own breakfast when I travel, so not having it included with the room rate was okay. In general, we really liked the feel/finish of this place. The lobby was spacious, staff were gracious, finishes very nice (though in process of some remodeling).Would definitely recommend this one.

Room Tip: We liked looking over the pool, but don't recall the room number; on the 2nd floor, I believe, w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travelorWAstate,

Thank you for review on your recent stay with us! We are happy that we provided you with an great experience and appreciate your kind comments on out hotel staff and our amenities. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

this I a resort style hotel which is very well cared for. I think it might be slightly older but there is a strong feeling that the staff are interested - and will go beyond where they must to improve your experience. Yonne, the manager in particular was very helpful.

Room Tip: be near the pool - its not rowdy and its nice to just walk out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear goreymanBermuda,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! I'm so happy I was able to help you enjoy your stay in our hotel and that our staff was able to create that great hotel experience for you as well. We look forward to helping you again in the future should you visit us once again, and please feel free to reach me on any requests you may have.

Thanks once again,

Courtyard Miami Coral Gables
#5 of 11 in Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!