“rough start but they made it right” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
drwendy
“rough start but they made it right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel is under renovation, be sure you get an updated room on the third floor. When we checked in they put us in a room on the first floor where there was a strong smell of something dead in the bathroom and an unacceptable shower head. We fussed and they moved us to a great room on the third floor and threw in a free breakfast as well. Our new room had a mini-fridge and microwave and is clean and pleasant. The pool area is very nice, they have a beauty salon and a gift shop as well as the restaurant. Parking is free and it is convenient to Biscayne, coconut grove and the university. We will stay here again next time we're in town.

Room Tip: ask for updated room on the third floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Yonne M, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear drwendy,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. Although you had some problems at the beginning, I'm happy to hear that we were able to make it right with you at the end. In the future please feel free to reach us personally on how we can make your next stay with a wonderful experience.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We made a quick stop here one night while passing through Miami. We actually made reservations here by mistake as we thought we were going to be somewhere else. However, it turned out to be a nice stay. We didn't smell anything like some of the other reviews stated so maybe this was cleared up.

Pros
Free parking (you can get hit on this in the city)
Spacious rooms
Clean
Comfortable beds
Pool (looked nice, but we didn't get to use it)

Cons
Busy area (isn't all of Miami)
No free breakfast
Expensive onsite shop

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WinstonBub,

Thank you for staying with our hotel and taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay! We hope on your next trip to Miami you remember us and consider us again.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

To address some of the reviews:
1. I arrived very early expecting to just leave my bag and have to come back later. Even though the hotel was very busy, the staff did what they could and I had a room within ten minutes of arriving just after 12 - and had a great shower
2. They are having problems with the drains - there is a background smell that permeates throughout - not obnoxious, but noticeable - but how long do you expect to stay in the room?
3. It is opposite the metrotrain, great for getting about - $5 day pass
4. There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, but remember, this hotel is next to the University and so expect student level of dining
5. Do NOT consider buying anything from the on-site shop - I have seen expensive shops, but the mark-up was beyond believe, walk to the local cvs if you need water or anything
6. Litter - the local pizza houses like to push their menu's under every door - please don't just push them back into the corridor, it makes them look like someone has gone through the hotel and emptied the trash cans

Overall, reasonable accommodation, made pleasant by the welcoming staff

Room Tip: At the back
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear WeeChancer,

Thank you for your detailed review on our property and your previous stay with us at our hotel. I apologize on the behalf of our hotel with our recent issue with plumbing, but I am relieved that that negative encounter did not dampen your experience at our hotel.

Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

free parking.if you pay in advance you can get a good price.
good location.small bathroom but clean nice shower.
good bed to sleep and a lot of pillows.clean room.
good size of room.very good to stay.

Room Tip: very good place to stay .if you pay in advance you can get a good price.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear lincolnbelohorizonte,

Thank you for providing our readers with helpful tips and on your comments on our property. We truly appreciate it! We look forward to seeing you in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

First our check in time was 3, the room wasn't ready at 5, they said they needed 30 minutes to clean, then after 530 said there was a flood and gave us a new room. While waiting in our friends room, we saw the bathroom was dirty, it had new towels but clearly was just wiped down and not sprayed and scrubbed for a long time. When we got ours, we discovered the same. We called for it to be cleaned... And when we hit back all that was cleaned was tge top of the sink handle. This morning, there were small bugs crawling out of the AC vent. We complained and are out for the day so when get back today were supposed to be in a different room. The halls say "pardon our construction" don't see any, just unvaccumed halls and unvaccumed rooms. Dirty, and bugs+ the manager did nothing = don't stay there.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank LindsTroy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear LindsTroy,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Kindly be assured that your comments about the room conditions are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were in Miami for thanksgiving break, and decided to stay at Holiday Inn Coral Gables. We enjoyed staying at the hotel - we we're impressed with the hospitality. We were so impressed by housekeeping staff member Margarita Caso, she left the room spotless and was kind enough to accommodate our various requests. She also greeted with a smile each morning and was kind enough to provide recommendations for nearby attractions. We had a five star experience at a a great deal - we'll be back again!

Room Tip: Use Priceline negotiator
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ahlam Y,

Thank you so much for your kind comments on our staff's service and on Margarita Caso in particular. She was elated to hear that she was able to make your experience at our hotel memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After flying on the red-eye with Spirit Air and arriving in Miami at 5:15 am with maybe one hour of sleep the whole night, we went to several appointments at the University of Miami with our son.
We tried checking in early but could not. I went back around 2 pm, and they let me check in while my wife and son continued with the college tour. They put me in room 360, near the elevators and right next to the storage room. I laid down for a nap and about every 15- 20 minutes or so was awakened by a loud banging on the wall shared with the storage room. It was the same every time-bang bang bang, then slam. After an hour and a half of this, I heard voices in the hall speaking spanish so I opened the door to see a cleaning lady. I walked over to the door at the storage room, looked at her and she asked and motioned if I was looking for the stairs. I said no, just trying to find out what the loud noise was. She apologized and I said thanks, and went back to bed. 10 minutes later, banging noise again.
I went down to the front desk to complain since hitting the front desk button on the phone didn't seem to work. They guy at the desk apologized, didn't know what the noise was, but then said those walls are pretty thick so I shouldn't be hearing anything. Excuse me? I told him I was up all night, tired as hell, and was not making up a noise that kept waking me up. He said the room cleaners were done at 4:30 so I shouldn't hear anything after that, and they didn't start until 8 the next morning. He said if they had to , they would move me. Since it was after 4, I said I'd stick it out.
I went back upstairs a little ticked and went into the storage room to investigate myself since he didn't seem too concerned. I found 2 small oven door sized doors on a build out from my room wall. One for dirty laundry, one for garbage. I tilted them open and found chutes going down to the basement. The doors closed hard. That was my noise, the laundry or garbage going bang bang bang down the loose chute, and slam when they closed the door.

My question is this: why would they put anyone next to the storage room during the day when there are room cleaners still working and using that room and yakking in the hall outside that room? Sure, they didn't know I was up all night and trying to sleep, but why not keep guests away from any potential noise if you can? Am I the first to complain about that room noise during the day?? I doubt it.

On the up side, the room was clean as was the hotel. The rate was under $100 for the night. The beds were comfy for the 3 of us.

I would probably have given a 4 for location to college, cleanliness and bed comfort if not for the room they put me in and lack of concern about the noise.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 360 or any one next to or near storage rooms or elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Yonne M, Brand Champion at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear frozentundraguy ,

First off, let me apologize on our behalf that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and thank you for your detailed review. To answer your question on why you were given rm 360 all I can imagine is that it may have been the only room available for early check in, but with the details you mentioned its understanble that you could not get much sleep done in your room and we are truly sorry for that inconvinience you expirienced.
I would like to ease that bad expirience you had by inviting you back and giving you the right room on your next stay should you choose to visit Miami in the future.

Best wishes to you and your wife and thank you once again for staying with us.

Brand Champion
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!