New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Custom Collar Stays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

Ordinarily, I try never to travel during Christmas-New Years. It's too hectic, everything in the US is too crowded reservations are tough and prices are high. However, when a dear friend decides to get married in Miami Beach what are you going to do? Call The Biltmore Hotel.

My husband, 16 y/o son and I had a marvelous time. We were in different junior suites separated by one floor easily navigated by the stairs. But, we preferred to meet on the lower lobby. First one up got the table for the wonderful breakfast served in restaurant on the terrace with the fountain. Traveling with a teenage boy made the all you can eat breakfast a good value for us! I was surprised and delighted by how good the food was-- definitely a cut above the average posh resort. The staff was uniformly gracious and attentive. Also multilingual. The number of people speaking, French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish lent an welcome air of international sophistication to the full resort. Alas, my son couldn't discover where the Brazilian girls were hanging out. It is a very large pool....

We were relaxing, enjoying the good weather, exploring the nearby Everglades and luxuriating in the atmosphere of old fashioned graciousness and enduring beauty of the land-marked hotel. The whole experience reminded me of happy times as a child at the old Del Coronado in San Diego and last year's trip to the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian (currently my favorite vacation spot in the world).

It came time to dress for the wedding dinner. My husband could only find one collar stay. We'd learned the previous evening that Miami Beach is about 15 minutes from Coral Gables-- until you hit Collins Ave. where traffic slows to the point that if there were any old people with walkers left amongst all the hipsters they could have lapped us easily. I am often tardy but not for a Friday Night Soiree in South Beach to celebrate a marriage. I told him to stop looking for it and just call the concierge. I dress, preparing myself to run down and pick up the collar stay thinking it could easily take 15 minutes that we didn't have to spare.

Potential crisis avoided when five minutes after the panicked call to the concierge (who as it turned out had just given his last spare pair of stays to a member of the wedding party I was watching being photographed in the golden light outside our room which over looked the pool) an envelope slid under our door containing two collar stays freshly manufactured out of an old room key.

There are many beautiful and warm places to spend a few days escaping Manhattan during a cold and always hectic time of year, but I have never enjoyed such a level of intelligent hospitality. I'm looking forward to going back maybe hit the Wolfenson Museum or another part of the Everglades. Plans can and do change. But not my Florida hotel. From now on it's The Biltmore.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Fasita
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
As a world-class luxury destination resort, the Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and we have passed your comments along to Guest Services staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed her at the end of our honeymoon and it was excellent all round

The rooms are lovely, the building itself is superb and very interesting in terms of its history. The service is outstanding. The pool, golf, gym, spa and all facilities are top notch

We ate dinner in the Palm d'Or which is not cheap but is excellent with fantastic food, wine list and service.

We had such a relaxing time by the pool and running around the local area - we didnt really have time to explore Coral Gables at the end of our trip but this would be easy from here is you wanted to.

Overall this is well worth a visit!

1 Thank Njmiami
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
As a world-class luxury destination resort, the Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I really have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The check'in experience is by far the worst one i've seen in any kind of a 4 stars hotel so far :
- no indication where to park / valets ;
- stayed 5 minutes in front of the main entrance and nobody seemed to care about us ;
- I finally left my car there and went inside to get my way. There, I found two employees yelling at each other. Nice. Had to interrupt them to get my way. They told me, on a questionable manner where I could find the front desk but i really seemed to bother them .
- Front desk : no explanation on where to find a valet / no bellman service offered.
Finally checked in, parked my car myself, and brought my luggages to my room.
Awesome WYDIWG experience (What You Do Is What You Get).
Is it the "Circus Circus" here ? First impression : ZERO.

Whatever the price, when I had a long trip, I WANT a valet to to take care of us and park my car and I WANT someone to atleast offer to take care of my baggage.

Hopefully, the hotel itself is absolutely awesome. You'll feel liketravelling back into time.
A lot different from most hotels you'll find in the Miami area : relaxing, classic, calm, elegant populated with quiet guests.

Regular rooms are spacious enough and clean. But hey guys, keeping a historic place up running doesnt mean that you have to give up on buying Flat TVs.
Also, I had some serious problems with the air conditioning system : whenever we started it, i had some serious allergies and even had to buy some zyrtec to face this problem.
I must admit that i am quite sensitive but it usually happens to me when the air conditionning system is dusty.
The mattress was average.

The restaurants provide various experiences : The italian restaurants is probably a bit overpriced for some average food.
The small restaurant at the swimming pool delivers good food at decent prices.
The cellar bar and the Biltmore Bar both deserve a visit (good service, good wines and the classic wooden style of the cellar bar is charming).

Regarding its location, and unless you're a golf fan, you will need a car. There's almost nothing at a decent walking distance from the hotel.
However, the hotel has a huge complimentary parking.
The coral gables "miracle mile" is only 5-10 minutes way.
Miami beach is about 15-20 minutes away.
The airport is 15-20 minutes away.
And you'll find various malls (aventura or dolphin mall) 15-20 minutes way.

A nice 4 nights experience and a tremendous historic place spoiled by the very unwelcoming check'in : Hotel guests are obviously second zone customers while those booking a restaurant or setting up a party/wedding are their main focus. In the end, you can enjoy much of this hotel by simply having lunch or diner there.

Good destination if you get a good bargain.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FRTravellers
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
We welcome all feedback from our guests and take pride in our commitment of providing a world-class luxury experience at Biltmore. The subject matter mentioned in this correspondence is certainly inconsistent with our normal standards and service culture. The issues at hand have been thoroughly addressed with all pertinent staff and areas involved. As well, the majority of our rooms have been updated with new flat screen televisions, with completion of this initiative due in the upcoming weeks.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

First class treatment all the way. While we were checking in we were greeted with cocktails at the front desk, that was a great touch! Hotel was historic but up to date...wonderful stay.

1 Thank Kmck3915
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Biltmore. As we do not golf and love the beach we were hesitant. To my surprise this was probably one of the most outstanding hotel experiences I have had! For the past 7 years I have gone to The Breakers, Palm Beach, however I enjoyed this more! Whether it was the staff, the complimentary room upgrade, incredible dining - never a bad meal - or the expert concierge services everything exceeded my expectations! Including Happy Hour from 5-8.
I had emailed Brooke in advance as to my love of historic hotels but also my high standards for rooms. She went out of her way to ensure everything was of the highest quality. It probably helped the hotel was not full and therefore we were able to be accommodated.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool have afternoon sun, front of hotel is nice but not as scenic
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank stdominic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I normally like modern hotels over historic properties, but the Biltmore sold me with its updated rooms and authentic Florida charm. The hotel is in a residential area in Coral Gables, which is a community of historical million dollar + homes and the relaxed feel of an upscale suburban retirement community. The hotel itself has an elegance that modern hotels can't quite match. Lobby is amazing, rooms are updated and clean with great views. If you like swimming, the pool is worth the price of admission. There aren't any restaurants nearby, so you'll either need to take a taxi or I would recommend just eating at the excellent on-site restaurants. The breakfast buffets are solid, the restaurants are very good and there are numerous happy hour opportunities for the budget minded (do not miss the half-price happy hour drinks at the poolside bar in the evening - particularly the margaritas and mojitos). Another advantage of the huge pool is that there is no shortage of lounge seating or space for swimming. A great place to veg out, get some sun, swim, play golf and drink yourself into oblivion while enjoying a slice of real old Florida luxury. I also found the service to be friendly and responsive.

Room Tip: Would recommend a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael F
Palm Harbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

Excellent hotel, pool, resturants, gym, personnel. Great history.

Room Tip: Recommend reservations for Sunday brunch.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables
Downtown
Mandarin Oriental, Miami

Been to The Biltmore Hotel Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!