“Charming boutique hotel in heart of Coral Gables`”
Review of Hotel St. Michel

Hotel St. Michel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Calgary
“Charming boutique hotel in heart of Coral Gables`”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I won a 'mystery auction' for a 4-night stay at the St. Michel at a deep bargain. I was rather nervous after reading some of the reviews here, though. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by this little boutique hotel. It's ideally located within walking distance of all the interesting venues in Coral Gables. Upon arrival and check-in I was escorted up the antique elevator to a spacious 3rd floor suite (rm 310) that had a large sitting area and nice-sized bathroom. The room was decorated with various Spanish-style antiques and had a super-comfortable King bed. I didn't mind having to walk the stairs during my stay even though the staff would have been happy to take me up and down the elevator. I didn't get a chance to dine in the restaurant and I'm not partial to continental breakfasts, so I can't speak to the quality of either at this hotel. However, I had a very pleasant stay here overall. Be advised, however, that while Coral Gables has excellent restaurants, shopping and nightlife, it is not a beach destination. If you're looking for the sun and sand experience right outside your hotel, best check out the plenitude of great hotels/resorts in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank BruceCalgary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
coral gables, fl
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The restaurant downstairs was dirty and dingy, the cook was a sow, a foul mouth and a biggot. There was a fly on my food and my wine was ill tasting and seemed to be open for a long time, and improperly chilled

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mimijoejossy

Travelers are raving about these Coral Gables hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2009

It's hard to find a building with history in Florida, so I am giving this a better review for its unique qualities than I would for its value as a great hotel.

What's good:
Excellent location in the heart of Coral Gables
Quaint "old" charm with a hand-operated elevator
There is one computer (no one was on it except myself and the bartender who got off the computer when I came in - but didnt get off the phone to see if I wanted anything to drink).

What's not:
It needs a renovation
Thin walls make for noise from the hall at night
No valet parking - but a parking lot across the street
"Breakfast" is really just some muffins on a paper plate, orange juice and coffee (no milk - just creamer).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank crazytravelernyc
miami
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I have always known about this hotel because I was born and raised about 20 minutes away. We were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary, and since Coral Gables is such a nice area which I HIGHLY recommend, I thought we would book a room and walk to dinner. I chose the St. Michel because it has always been in the Gables and I have had lunch there and friends have stayed there in the past. It's old, not necessarily a charming old. It is to be honest ,a creepy old. The front desk is literally a table. The only way to use the ancient elevator is to have an employee escort you because it is the old cage kind. The halls are filled with antiques and are as I said kind of creepy. I have stayed in old hotels in Europe but they never gave me the creepy feeling. The room here was very small and the bathroom was tiny. The bathroom stayed damp throughout the night after the shower had been used. The room and lobby smelled musty. I heard the floor creaking all night. The website states there is a restaurant, but it was not open on the Friday we stayed and there was a sign stating the space is available for lease. I don't know what happened to the restaurant. The website also states there is a free continental breakfast again I did not see any food when we checked out the next morning. I'm not sure if changes are taking place in the hotel, but I would call and ask about food and restaurant service before booking.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Huntington New York
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Quaint hotel, good service & location, friendly staff

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The St. Michel reminded my wife and I of a European or South American hotel... bellman operated elevator and all. Quaint is an understatement. A return stay is foreseeable. The common area decor and room furnishings had personality. Before you get enchanted there are several things that potential patrons should consider before booking the hotel. Notwithstanding the attractive, antiquated character, the maintenance of the facility appeared to be slightly overlooked. This property could very easily transition to a top notch boutique with minimal attention from the present managment. Public transportation is available but not advisable. If you drive, parking is by meter or across the street at a bank parking garage. The parking garage cost is reasonable though - - $9.00 daily. Stay alert when returning at night as the hotel locks the doors after hours for a reason. Do not forget that you are in metropolitan Miami. In addition, we do not recommend this hotel for families with small or teenage children as the rooms are very small, there are no recreation amenities, i.e., pool, exercise facility, etc., and, activity from adjacent rooms was occasionally heard during our stay. Mature and well traveled middle aged couples will be the ones likely to find this establishment tolerable. The best part about the hotel is the room rates and proximity to multiple first class restaurants and attractions. Tarpon Bend Seafoods was excellent! Also, award winning latin, French and Asian cuisine surround the hotel. Research the menus and addresses before your arrival as a few front desk clerks were oblivious to the restaurant locations and offerings. Not a menu to be found in the place. Overall...an old diamond in the rough.

• Liked — Proximity to restaurants and attractions
  • Disliked — Building and room was a little neglected. Staff was loud and not particularly helpful.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Krimson
Newton, MA
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Let me first say, if you are looking to stay in the downtown Coral Gables area, the location cannot be beat. It's a european style hotel in decoration as well as the building which includes an antique elevator. It's a two block walk to the area called "Miracle Mile" which has some of the best restaurants in Miami area and some very nice galleries for window shopping. Parking is available across the street for only $9, and you can come and go without repaying.

Our room was a double bed and it was very clean and the staff was extremely helpful even with limited english. The room had a remote control air conditioner as well as windows that actually opened. Flat screen television, hair dryer, ice already in bucket, celing fan and usual toiletries. Because it's in a business area, at night it is fairly quiet outside. We stayed Christmas Eve and were not interested in utilizing the restaurant, but it looked empty as we left for the evening. It's a great budget alternative to the Hyatt or Collonade nearby.

• Liked — Location, Price, Building architecture
  • Disliked — older structure, no soundproofing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Hyatt Regency Coral Gables
#2 of 11 in Coral Gables
Courtyard Miami Coral Gables
#5 of 11 in Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Been to Hotel St. Michel? Share your experiences!