“Lovely hotel with fine service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel St. Michel

Hotel St. Michel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Seattle, Washington
“Lovely hotel with fine service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a small, charming hotel that feels as though one is renting a room in someone's home. The rooms are clean and designed to evoke a prior era. My room had a little book nook and divan. I felt very comfortable. The rooms have all the modern amenities, without the sterility. There is an old elevator which travels to all floors. I don't like glitz. I appreciated the quiet coziness.

I also apprecitated the coffee in the lobby.

The manager was knowledgeable and friendly. She helped me with many transit questions. The rest of the staff was helpful as well. Maps of the area are available upon request.

I was only a block or two from the Miracle Mile with shops and restaurants galore.

Try Al's coffee shop at 2121 for a good breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room. Book way in advance. There are many repeat customers and I can see why...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here with two teenage sons - room was not huge but adequate. Bathroom space was "tight". The lift is manually operated by staff, and the teenagers decided I must be a dinosaur as I could remember them being in use in some stores here when I was a child. Hotel had restaurant on site, however we did not use it so cannot comment. The free bus runs down the street outside and connects to the train, so easy to get around. Seems a safe relatively quiet area, and the POC restaurant just along the street is good value for dining.
Only comment would be that the timber floors creak a bit when people walking around - a rug would probably help with the sound of traffic above!

Room Tip: If you're on the top floor, you're not going to get people walking around overhead!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank karval52
Marathon, Fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed there is past Thanksgiving weekend for my 21 birthday. My husband and I were looking for nice clean place to basically sleep since we knew we were going to be spending a lot of time in the room anyways. It's a very cute place, it's different than anything else I have stayed in but it was nice. It did have a european feeling that I absoulty love, with the exception of the creep little girl painting in the room lol. The room was small just enough for two, the bathroom was perfect but I do recommend to ask the front desk how to work the shower head since it a little tricky. Front desk was open 24 hours which was really nice, there is an extra fee for parking but its not too bad. The elevator was old and can only be used with the company of an employee and sometimes there wasn't anyone there so we had to use the stairs which we didn't mind considering we were on the second floor. We had room service and everything was nice and clean. I probably won't be back just because I perfer something different but it was a very pleasant experiance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jazmin L
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in michel to be close to the airport and also located near some city activities. The rooms are in a lovely old style with nice interiours. The staff is outstanding friendly and customer oriented - just great. The only thing is that the lift is not operated 24/7 to bring the luggage to the room coz it is operated by a staff member who is not always there. Due to the fact that it is an old building there is a chance to hear neigbour ferences.  Paking is available for $14 for 24 hours. We will stay a second nigth there in January.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank matmueller
Green County, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very unique and classy property. Old-fashioned charm and actual room keys rather than passkey cards. Interesting antiques in the rooms and hallways. Elevator operator runs the elevator. Food from restaurant was the worst (Vivaldino's) - absolutely most disgusting "key lime pie" ever. Not sure how it ended up so gritty with such a mush of "crust". Entree not as ordered. Skip this and find a good place to eat on nearby Miracle Mile - plenty with outdoor/sidewalk cafe seating.

Room Tip: Nice to be on 3rd floor - can open the windows. There is street noise, however.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Parking is across Alcazar street. You pay the hotel $14 for a one day pass or you can park on the street which is free at night (10pm-8am I think). There are two temp spots in front of the hotel. The concierge is slightly hidden, in front and then to the left. Concierge was very nice checking in and out. From there they can operate the elevator for you or you can take the stairs to your room. Hotel has an older feel to it but it's nice looking. Biggest complaint was the small to moderate amount of noise. Voices easily came through my door from guests walking past. A small vibration could be heard through the walls for a little bit. I could hear when certain other prople used the water. And that was all at night. The phone rang once and then stopped in the early morning. An accidental wakeup call to the wrong room.
Also, the light was a little too strong coming through the window but not too bad.
Some good places to eat in walking distance. About twenty minutes from the airport.
A computer available for use and optional wifi fir purchase. I would probably stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Acquiescence80
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am getting married in January 2013, and was looking for a hotel close to the church to stay at the night before the wedding. I e-mailed with Evelyn (hotel manager) several times prior to deciding to stop by the hotel to take a look first hand. According to many reviewers, the restaurant on the first floor was being remodeled, windows were boarded up, and I didn't want to take the chance to have this happen during my stay, as I want some nice photos of me at the hotel.

I stopped by the hotel a couple weeks ago now, and I am pleased to say that the restaurants are now open. Yes, two - there is a Peruvian fine dining restaurant on the left side (as you enter the hotel), and a more casual dining restaurant on the right side. I approached the front desk and was greeted by Evelyn herself; she was very kind, and offered to show us multiple rooms with no obligation. I love the hotel. I came across St. Michel as I looked for a small hotel, with European style, and a nice staircase I could be photographed in. I took my fiance and my sister with me.. and they both mentioned a particular "smell" if you will throughout the hotel. My sister could not describe it; my fiance described it as "antique". I agree I smelled it, but it did not bother me; to me, It actually adds to the antique feel of the place.

I wanted to reserve the room that has the only balcony in the hotel, as I wanted to be photographed on it, but it is a small, king size room. I ended up booking the Double Junior Suite on the third floor.. and it is beautiful. It has a type of decor that really appeals to me.. and it seems as all the rooms face the street, which I like. Evelyn did tell me that if on the morning of my wedding, the room with the balcony is vacant, she will allow me to go in to photograph on it =)

The elevator is, as many reviewers have stated, an original, and is only operated by hotel staff.

As far as parking goes, there is metered street parking, or a garage parking right across the street, that costs $15 for the day.. or $5 after 7 pm. On the weekends, Saturday and Sunday, however, the garage is open but not managed.. so parking is free. =)

Overall the hotel looked clean, the service was friendly, and the restaurants, which are not managed by the hotel, look good. The hotel is on a quiet street, but within walking distance of multiple shops on Ponce de Leon street.. and close to residential Coral Gables.. and many beautiful spots for pictures.

I can't wait to stay here in January.. and if need be, I will update with a new review.

Room Tip: If distance and time permit, politely ask Evelyn (hotel manager) if you may see a room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo