“In person - reservation only”
Review of Hotel St. Michel

Hotel St. Michel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Weston, Florida
“In person - reservation only”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am getting married in January 2013, and was looking for a hotel close to the church to stay at the night before the wedding. I e-mailed with Evelyn (hotel manager) several times prior to deciding to stop by the hotel to take a look first hand. According to many reviewers, the restaurant on the first floor was being remodeled, windows were boarded up, and I didn't want to take the chance to have this happen during my stay, as I want some nice photos of me at the hotel.

I stopped by the hotel a couple weeks ago now, and I am pleased to say that the restaurants are now open. Yes, two - there is a Peruvian fine dining restaurant on the left side (as you enter the hotel), and a more casual dining restaurant on the right side. I approached the front desk and was greeted by Evelyn herself; she was very kind, and offered to show us multiple rooms with no obligation. I love the hotel. I came across St. Michel as I looked for a small hotel, with European style, and a nice staircase I could be photographed in. I took my fiance and my sister with me.. and they both mentioned a particular "smell" if you will throughout the hotel. My sister could not describe it; my fiance described it as "antique". I agree I smelled it, but it did not bother me; to me, It actually adds to the antique feel of the place.

I wanted to reserve the room that has the only balcony in the hotel, as I wanted to be photographed on it, but it is a small, king size room. I ended up booking the Double Junior Suite on the third floor.. and it is beautiful. It has a type of decor that really appeals to me.. and it seems as all the rooms face the street, which I like. Evelyn did tell me that if on the morning of my wedding, the room with the balcony is vacant, she will allow me to go in to photograph on it =)

The elevator is, as many reviewers have stated, an original, and is only operated by hotel staff.

As far as parking goes, there is metered street parking, or a garage parking right across the street, that costs $15 for the day.. or $5 after 7 pm. On the weekends, Saturday and Sunday, however, the garage is open but not managed.. so parking is free. =)

Overall the hotel looked clean, the service was friendly, and the restaurants, which are not managed by the hotel, look good. The hotel is on a quiet street, but within walking distance of multiple shops on Ponce de Leon street.. and close to residential Coral Gables.. and many beautiful spots for pictures.

I can't wait to stay here in January.. and if need be, I will update with a new review.

Room Tip: If distance and time permit, politely ask Evelyn (hotel manager) if you may see a room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Maria C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2012

St Michel is a unique touch of Old Miami in the heart of Coral Gables. Each room is different in size, shape and design, but all of them are decorated with old and quaint furnishings and decor. Despite its retro character the St Michel has been well maintained and is clean and inviting. The service is efficient. The staff were extremely attentive. The location is excellent. I would enjoy staying there again and although it's not elegant, I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sue M
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This quiet well maintained small Hotel a few miles from the Miami airport in Coral Gables could not be better. It is laid back with excellent rooms, a friendly staff, and an overall great European small hotel feel. If you like a quality small hotel that is non pretentious this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank bluewaterstjohn
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a great hotel....well located and very charming in all respects, and it used to have a great restaurant and bar...used to! The hotel has shut down the restaurant and bar and is carrying is renovating from the early hours of the day. The lack of facilities was not pre-advised and, if known, would have direct us to another hotel. In the partially full hotel, we were given a room immediately over the work in progress....the noise and vibration drove us out of the room earlier than intended.
This was, and will be again, a great hotel but, please, call before booking to determine the progress and, if you decide to stay whilst the work in is progress, ask for an upper floor!

Room Tip: Upper floors during the renovation
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeoffBlake

Travelers are raving about these Coral Gables hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 22, 2012

OK, let me first say that I travel for business almost every week and use Hilton or Hyatt as my preferred properties. When I was helping to plan my brother's 50th Birthday celebration in SE Florida, Coral Gables made sense for a place to ground ourselves. I found this hotel and fell in love with the website and the hotel's historic charm.

If you are coming here expecting room service, dream beds, feather pillows or other "needy traveler" items, you should know this is not what makes the hotel charming. It is beautifully decorated and takes you back in time to a place where people weren't spoiled and privileged; simply grateful for a clean, delightful place to lay their head.

You cannot beat the location and there are FANTASTIC restaurants within easy walking distance. Bottom line, great price, great location and delightful hotel staff! Have some patience and slow it down!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank InternationalBanker
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I’d like to start my review by stating that I prefer old/historic properties, especially those that are not run by a major corporate chain, over new cookie cutter style establishments. This European boutique hotel fit the bill perfectly! We found our room to be quite large, clean and in good repair. I love the antique furnishings that were blended with modern conveniences (flat screen tv, newer bathroom fixtures).

The hotel seems to be maintained quite well. We found our room to be clean and quiet and the staff to be friendly and helpful. I am quite puzzled by some other reviews that referred to the property as run down. In fact, for this style of hotel, I found it to be in better condition than most. The only thing that was really noticeable was that the awnings outside are damaged and/or missing – they may be in the process of replacing them.

I’d like to add one other nice touch – each late afternoon/early evening, a housekeeping attendant came by our room and refilled our ice bucket. The little things like that are what lead me to properties like this.

Parking is on-street (meters) or in a garage across the street. The rate was $14/night with unlimited in/out service – a bonus for a downtown area, which I often find to be more expensive without in/out service. We stayed Thursday-Sunday and were not charged for parking on Saturday and Sunday.

There is a restaurant on the first floor, however at this time, it is closed. Renovations were being done and it appears that it will open again soon. Coffee, juice and pastry are provided each morning – a French bakery, Einstein bagels and Starbucks are all within walking distance.

The location is terrific – we were able to walk to restaurants for breakfast/dinner, there were several banks in the area (in case you needed to visit an ATM machine) and the Miracle Mile shopping district is just a few blocks away. The hotel is a short drive to the University of Miami campus, Marlins Park, Little Habana, Miami International Airport and downtown attractions like Key Biscayne, American Airlines Arena, Bayfront Marketplace, the Port of Miami…It is easily accessible from US-1, I-95 and FL-836.

Room Tip: We faced the street (Alcazar) and it was not too noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kdfrench
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I didn't like the Hotel Place St. Michel at all. In fact, the only reason I am not completely panning it is because the service was friendly and courteous. That said, everything about the hotel was run down. The walls, floors, carpets, bathroom fixtures all had mystery stains. Everything creaked and was generally dingy. The hallways felt like something out of a ghost story. Everything needed a good washing and dusting. This is not my kind of place.

Also as others have mentioned, the hotel's first floor windows are currently boarded up and there is no restaurant on premises. I actually walked by the hotel because there was no sign for it and the building looked deserted. My room also didn't have a mini-frig, water, coffee maker or wifi -- all inconvenient since there was no water or coffee to be had anywhere on premises.

I spent 1 night here and 1 night at the nearby Hyatt for about the same price ($180 inc tax) and the Hyatt is infinitely better. I would never stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business