“Characterful place in a pretty bland area”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel St. Michel

Hotel St. Michel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
London
“Characterful place in a pretty bland area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

Really enjoyed my recent 4-night stay here. Manager and room staff were lovely, even fact that our two year-old daughter screamed the place down throughout the whole of the first night (she had conjunctivitis - $600 for a consultation and antibiotic eyedrops at Miami Children's Hospital, you can buy the same medicine over the pharmacy coiner in the UK for £5, hey ho capitalism). Our corner room, a junior suite, was beautiful, cooly decorated in an antique style, ceiling fans plus air-con, just the right tone. Generally a very quiet hotel. Breakfast choice of croissant or huge muffin and bottomless tea, coffee, etc on a self service bar was basic but perfect for our needs though if you want the full breakfast experience, just wander a couple of blocks down the road to the Gables Diner, but be prepared to loosed your belt...Manager couldn't do enough for us innterms of directions, advice and just general welcoming chat when we passed through the lobby. I had come to Coral Gables principally for work, it's not really a holiday spot - but a very upmarket, wealthy residential/business area. Pretty nice to wander around for a couple of days and of course, the rest of eormous Miami has pretty much everything else you could ask for from a city.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank JC1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

We live in Key West and go occasionally to Coral Gables for a "getaway." We've been staying at the St. Michel for several years, and it's wonderful if you like a small hotel with lots of charm. The rooms are lovely and clean and the people who work there are very nice and helpful. You can walk to just about everything in Coral Gables, eat at fabulous restaurants, and have an easy drive to museums, Coconut Grove, Viscaya, Fairchild Gardens, even South Beach if you must.... The rates are very reasonable and include breakfast.

3 Thank sunrisedriven
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

I booked my hotel back in August of 2010 but had to cancel due to a change of plans. I was provided with a cancellation number on September 10, 2010. We were nearing the end of our Florida trip in early January when I discovered a charge from Hotel St. Michel on my credit card. When I called the hotel directly, they couldn't find proof that I cancelled. It took me 10 minutes to tell the staff how to log into their own system and find my cancelled reservation, and then I was told they couldn't do anything until the next day when their accounting person arrived. When I spoke to their accountant, Carsten, he and his manager, Hilda, never apologized until I had to ask for an apology (can you believe that?). They said it wasn't their fault but their 3rd party booking company who never sent over the cancellation notice. I asked them to reverse it and was told it would take a few days, but then I noticed a second charge on my account. There were two separate charges for $170 taken out of my account for about a week. When I contacted the third party booking company, they said they had proof that the hotel received the cancellation notice back in September. Since it was the hotel's mistake, I expected at least some sort of apology for screwing up my only credit card that we needed to fly home. Instead, I was hung up on 4 times, called names like liar and delusional, and much more. Hotels with this kind of poor customer service need to be put out of business! They need to get a better reservation system, take responsibility for any mistakes and not blame an outside agency, and then learn how to talk to customers apologetically when something like this happens. What a disgrace to my former hometown!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank BabyBaer

Travelers are raving about these Coral Gables hotels

Ramsey, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

My wife and I has previously always spent a night or two in South Beach before driving on our annual trip to Key West. Last May we decided to try Coral Gables and we are SO happy we picked Hotel St. Michel. Once we stepped inside everything reminded us of Europe, France in particular. The hotel staff were very friendly, the room was immaculate and comfortable. If we come back to Coral Gables we would absolutely pick Place St. Michel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

I have often stayed at the Hyatt Coral Gables and the Westin Hotel Coral Gables, but now I prefer the Hotel St. Michel. I paid $119 (Florida rate) on a last minute booking because the other hotels were sold out (even at rates of $299 plus tax). Hotel is old world (built 1926), and still has charm. The TV is not large and fancy, the bathrooms are not updated, there are no fancy toiletries, no gym, no room service, no pool, etc. You want all that, then you need to go elsewhere.

The location is superb for Coral Gables. The parking is across the street in a garage for only $9/night. Breakfast served in your room at a time you request includes coffee, orange juice and croissant or muffin. The hotel is very, very quiet. Restaurant on first floor appeared to serve hearty food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank PAQ
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

The Hotle St Michel is a lovely European Style boutique right in the heart of beautiful Coral Gables. Had a 9 night stay here (12-20 Nov 2010) with my girlfriend and St Michel offered us an ideal location for everything we wanted to see and do in the Miami area. The Hotel has an old style charm about it, check-in area is basic but adequate and the old style elevator has to be manually operated by a member of staff. Our room, 316, was a good size, clean and comfortable. On a few nights I could hear noise from accross the street but that could have been down to jet lag and body clock issues as the week wore on I wasn't wakened by any noise. Bathroom and shower were spacious enough for our needs. Hotel is in a great location within Coral Gables for shopping/dining and if you wish to travel into Miami then using the trolley to Douglas Rd Metro Station and getting the train to Government Centre is easy and only takes 25mins. We didn't have a car but I believe the Hotel uses a parking facility accross the street which costs $9 per 24hrs. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful towards us and offered excellent information regarding the local area. We didn't eat in the restraunt or have breakfast as our booking was room-rate only. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and Al's Coffee Shop in the Atlantic Bank building accross the street is an excellent option for breakfast. Overall Hotel St. Michel was a great experience for us - great value in a tremendous location and we will be staying here again the next time we return to South Florida.

1 Thank Morrie21
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

By far the most delightful hotel in the greater Miami area, comparable only to a European equivalent.
The staff cannot do enough to make your stay comfortable including running after us for a block to return a forgotten satchel. Yes, the room are on the small side, although a couple are quite large, but they are so charming that it doesn’t matter. They certainly have everything one needs from WiFi to TV to an excellent AC and excellent windows that keep away any semblance of noise. Besides, the Coral Gables location cannot be better—you can actually walk to some of the best restaurants in Miami. We have found our new hotel for our trips to Miami.