“A little bit kitschy !”

Heidelberg Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 176 Restaurants in Cocoa Beach
Cuisines: French, German, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Featuring fine dining with German and Continental cuisine located in downtown Cocoa Beach Florida opened July 31, 1986. With the restaurant is Heidi's Jazz Club which is the number one hangout for jazz lovers and jazz musicians on Florida's Space Coast since Heidi and Eddie started Heidi's Jazz Club in 1992.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This "love able " restaurant is one of our favorites when we visit our friends in nearby Melbourne. The fact that it is not a place you would expect to find at the beach is one of the attractions for us. We are 62 and our friends are 70--seniors to be sure but young at heart.
As far as price, I don't find it to be as out of line as other reviewers. The food is very good--always consistent--and we have always had frîendly, good service. If you like German Food, it is well worth a try. If not, there are other dishes that would appeal to more traditional, American tastes. Be sure to ask about the lady bugs. Also, we had a very nice conversation with the piano player who remembered us from a year ago! I could make a meal out of their special salad in entree size. The art work is not what you would expect but makes the place even more interesting.

BrownBearSocial, Public Relations Manager at Heidelberg Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Patricia, thanks so much for visiting us and for taking the time to submit a review! Heidelberg definitely has character that isn't found in chain restaurants, and we are so happy you enjoy it. Our consistent customer experience and food quality has kept our doors open for decades. It's always great to hear about pleasant experience with our staff, including our musicians. We love showcasing the eccentric artwork of local artists as well. Just a few of the details that make Heidelberg so unique. Hope you visit us again soon and thank you again for the review!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

In today's economy I am always looking to save a few dollars, however there we no discounts to be found to this restaurant. We decided to treat my father in law to dinner for his birthday. After looking at the menu and the prices online I knew it would be a bit pricey but the had a new Summer Menu with lighter fare and lighter prices so, we decided to go.

I am so glad we did. We have a 7 year old son so, we made our reservation for the first seating at 5pm on Sunday. We were the only ones there at the start of our meal, which was our plan as we have never taken our son to such a nice restaurant and I was unsure how he would do (with coaching he did great).

We never ordered off the the lighter fare menu as the regular menu items sounded so good to us. My husband started with a chilled cucumber soup which was AWESOME !! I had a lobster bisque soup, which they gladly split for me to share with my son.

We had the JaegerSchnitzel & Saurbrauten which were both very good with authentic flavors and cooked to perfection. They were served with a house salad which has an assortment of salad, carrot slaw, cabbage slaw, & potato salad. It was sooooo good!!

Our waitress was so kind and attentive but not overly so... She even noticed that we had given our father birthday cards and proceeded to bring him a birthday desert on the house and played happy birthday to him on the piano.

the apple strudel desert was not overly sweet as some places make it, it was perfect. The creme brulee was a good size portion at perfect as well.

over all I was glad that we came... the dinner was about perfect as it could be and well worth the price. Not something I could afford to do all the time but it will be in back of my mind for that special occasion.

jkwal, thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to submit a review! We are so glad you enjoyed the restaurant, as well as having a great time with your family. You had many of our classic dishes that have kept us as a Brevard staple for decades. I'd also invite you to try our lunch! We have many of the same plates, but with smaller portions for significantly less than dinner. We hope you'll join us again for upcoming special occasions and maybe even sit in for a jazz performance! Thanks again!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Upon entering you have to look for the main dining room as you are in small entry foyer. The dining room is decorated in a very formal way that is completely unexpected for the area. My son would say this place is for old people! However, we were welcomed and seated by a friendly waiter very quickly. Every thing was tasty, authentic and fresh. The salad plate is four small servings of traditional German/Austrian salads: Cucumber, carrot, German potato and a leaf lettuce with house buttermilk dressing. YUM! Could I have a second serving? The chicken schnitzel and jaeger schnitzel were excellent along with the sides of spaetzle and veggies. Bread and butter rounded out the meal. The only complaint was the $10.50 for a ordinary margarita. Dessert of apple strudel and ice cream was good not excellent. The service was great as it should be in a fine dining restaurant. I can see how the prices would be considered high based on location. In most cities the prices would be in line with this level of food and service. We had 1 alcoholic drink, 1 tea, 2 meals and dessert. Total with tax and tip was $87 ( $65 without dessert and alcohol). To top it off a gentleman was playing an upright piano for entertainment. We would return and ask for Andy as server.

1  Thank bigdom61
BrownBearSocial, Public Relations Manager at Heidelberg Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Hello BigDom and thank you for visiting our restaurant and taking the time to submit a review. We're glad you stopped in on your recent trip to Cocoa Beach!
Our restaurant is classy and maintains the service, quality and tradition of older, fine dining establishments, something many people are not accustomed to in the age of chain restaurants. We're glad you appreciated the service provided by Andy. Everything in our restaurant is made fresh including the dressings, the bread, the drinks, etc. Sometimes that means a higher price than other places on the beach, but the quality of ingredients really makes a difference in the taste. Many visitors, like yourself, understand this and appreciate the food, the ambiance and the music.
We hope to see you again soon and hope you'll soon check out our Jazz Club located next to the dining room. Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am a resident of Florida for 29 years and have been going to Heidelberg for that amount of years. At first it was a reasonable place to go eat good food and have fun as they had a man played an accordian dressed up and we say all the umpapa songs on a large screen he pulled down. As the years went on it became more of a high scale restaurant along with his prices. It still was one of our favorites and we saved it for special occasions. As long as I have been going there I have ordered one meal and one meal only thier Goulash and it was devine. For a gift this year my husband gave me a gift certificate for there and we decided to use it for our 58 anniversary. We did so last Sunday and to my surprise the meal had changed considerably so much so that I could not chew the meat which was etirely different from what I had ever gotten. My husband ordered Sourbraten which he did not get as the waiter did not listen to our order and brought us both the (pot roast chuks with gravy) as I now refer to it. I had to ask the waiter to take it away and since my husband was already into his meal which he kindly said he would keep. The next scene is the owner coming out fists on table saying I have owned this place 26 years and this is the way we make it. I told her I have been here longer than her and do not ever remember getting anything like this. She immediately got nasty and said I will take off 10% from a $24 meal that I did not eat. I told her no I refused to pay for it. She said I will call the cops. My answer to her ways please do. Mind you the place is full and she is acting this way.She proceeded to call out the chief who said I have been makeing this Golash like this for 30 years and I said I to make it and it calls for stew cube like cuts of mean not tough mean the size of childrenw blocks.

We had the bill prepared and she caharged me for the salad and the one piece of bread I ate. \

We left and came home and thier was a message on my machine that I was to call the police station, which I did immediately. The officer said she claimed the card was no good it had been used before and we skipped out on the bill and she was adamint she would get paid for her meal. All of this in the restaurant in front of customes. We assured the officer we had the bill on our Visa card that the gift card was purchased and for her to show where and when we had use it. The officer than told us he was in possision of the card and he was going to return to the reataurant and confront the owner once more. He would get back to us. By the next morning we had not heard so I called to see if it had been resolved and he said yes she did not know how to run the card and in fact it was good and for the amount we had said.

Just a warning if you want good high priced food by all means go but you better like what you get or you are in for one tough lady who's every peeny counts. Can you believe she charged me for the small salad that came with the meal and a piece of bread they put on the table.

A very disastifid customer.

5  Thank gerry w

Gerry, thank you for visiting our restaurant recently.
We know that the key to success is consistent food quality and Chef Edmund has made Goulash the same way since 1986. He is classically trained in all European cuisines and while less prominent restaurants may serve this dish with smaller chunks of meat, this is the traditional way to make the dish. Usually the lower the quality of meat, the smaller the chunks, as it is easier to hide less than optimal cuts of meat.
All of our guests are treated with respect, and we do not embarrass our guests or pound fists on any table. We would no longer be in business if that were the case. And while we always strive to reach a resolution to any displeasing situation, we also expect our staff to be treated with the same respect shown.
Gift cards are always honored for the amount available. Proof of purchase proves the initial value was loaded on the card, but would not reflect a decrease in the value from previous use. When a gift card or any other method of payment does not cover the bill in its entirety and the client walks out of the restaurant without completely reconciling the bill , local authorities will be involved. We'd be happy to discuss your individual experience further if you feel an appropriate solution has not been offered.
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I love to stop at the Heidelberg Restaurant for a relaxing lunch.

My husband is a picky eater and loves their knockwurst with potatoes. I love to try new flavors and have always found something good. I especially love to try their soups. The chilled cucumber is my favorite, it has just enough dill and little spicy kick. On our last visit I had a wonderful potato and mushroom soup.

The service is always very nice.

If you are in the mood for a relaxing meal of wonderful food this is the place for you.

BrownBearSocial, Public Relations Manager at Heidelberg Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

SunLuvr thanks for coming in for lunch! Many of our standard dinner dishes are served as smaller portions and at lower prices. It's one of the best kept secrets in town! Chef Edmund loves to experiment with the fresh ingredients he has on hand and often switches up the soups. Glad you've enjoyed them!

It's been awhile since your last visit, we hope to see you soon!