“Terrible Stay....”

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Albuquerque
“Terrible Stay....”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel before our cruise on July 11, 2014, and this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life. We decided to use the fly, snooze, and cruise package due to the price being lower than your competitor’s rate, and that seemed to be the greatest mistake of my life. We rode on the Travelynx black Mercedes van which was very nice, but upon entering the hotel and seeing the immensely stained carpet and smelling the malodorous sitting area my stomach began to turn. We were checked in by an informative and helpful girl who was able to give us coupons and eating suggestions, but after walking to our room and entering a musty smelling room I knew this was going to be a less than comfortable stay. We walked to the cabinet to search for our safe and found a note taped to the safe that said “This safe is currently out of order. Sorry for any inconvenience.” As being a traveler, a safe is something that I need. I don’t like having to carry around important documents and lots of cash. It is not safe and puts me at risk for dangerous situations, and regardless, we were under the impression we would have a safe and that was just a deceitful bit of information. However, the broken safe seemed to be the least of our concerns. Almost everything in our room was in need of repair or filthy. The sheets on one of the beds were stained with this pinkish/red stuff, the bathroom had mold by the shower, the bathroom vent was filled with dust, multiple tiles were cracked, the wall and doors had many stains and even a burn on the wall in the bathroom, and the latch on our door had been repaired (poorly) with glue. I have photographic evidence of all of this. However, the worst of all of this situation ended up being finding a cockroach crawling up our wall. I absolutely HATE bugs, and to find one in my sleeping space is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lici714
davespain, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I am terribly sorry. You are absolutely correct about the condition of the room. It should not have been rented in that condition. The sign on the safe, placed their by maintenance, was indication that the room was being worked out. Unfortunately someone forgot to put it out of service. I wish you would have brought this to our attention as we would have immediately put you in another room. Please accept my apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed July 19, 2014

That's what I get when I let a travel agent book me to a hotel room before a cruise. Sadly, she probably got some kind of kick-back from the hotel. We were VERY disappointed with this property. When we arrived there was a long line of people checking in and not enough staff to assist. So we waited. I should have known looking at the lobby that it was a budget hotel, but kept hoping the room would be better. Nope.

Our room smelled musty, not fresh. There were 2 queen beds, a small table with 2 chairs, kitchenette. Everything looked tired. The first morning I went into the bathroom, a washcloth had dropped on the floor and the door had gone over it leaving an ugly yellow stain...or skid-mark...from the bottom of the door! How does that even happen?

I love a courtyard, but this one was noisy. People talking loudly at all hours. I actually really liked the greenery, though. During the day we sat in the courtyard and chatted and it was nice.

Breakfast was an event. There are roughly 500 people in the large room (so I was told) and its hard to find a table. There are 2 people managing the food tables and that's not enough. They worked very hard, but couldn't keep up. When I went to get eggs, someone was using the spoon rest to scoop out eggs! People were edgy and grumpy and there were just too many people. We got our food and went outside to sit one of the mornings.

The beach is a short couple blocks away. We had a nice walk. There is a nice gift store next door and a Starbucks.

I won't stay here again...

Room Tip: Don't bother with the standard rooms, get an upgrade...your chances are better...or better yet...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Becky H
My apologies. But, it is summer, at the beach, near the busiest cruise port in the world and there are a lot of people visiting the beach or going on a cruise just like you were. We have extra staff at these times but admit it can get a little hectic. But it's hectic at every hotel on the beach....in the summer...before a cruise.
Oldsmar, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2014

It was given 2 diamonds in the AAA guidebook; I would have given it only one based on my experience but, then, I was in a street-side standard room. Yes, it was clean. However, the first room I was given, the a/c wasn't working properly; it was cold but dampish cold and I was recovering from bronchitis and could feel it in my lungs. They had no problem switching me to another room two doors away where the a/c did work properly. It was a connecting room and the door was a thin wooden door; I could hear the other couple and when they got into a fight at 1 a.m. that may have turned physical, I wondered if I needed to call the front desk I could hear that clearly! Fortunately, someone left, slamming the door but my rest was nearly non-existent as a result. The breakfast was plentiful and served in a large room accessed through a door from the lobby. The front desk people seemed overworked and one shift was nicer than the other. It was within walking distance of the beach though, did have a large pool, the game room was closed for the night when I was there but otherwise, it was just OK.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank tjm1946
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

First and foremost - I'm not crazy about Cocoa Beach. Stayed here 2 nights... There was a dirty bat of soap left in shower (so pretty sure the shower hadn't even been cleaned before we arrived).

DO NOT PAY extra for ocean view. It was about $40-50 per night more...and I'd say IF YOU COULD SEE THE OCEAN... It would be a glimpse at best.

This motel is not on the beach and is a block away from a public access.

Beds were amazingly clean and comfortable and they offers free breakfast every morning of scrambled eggs, link sausage and waffles... All you can eat.

Stayed July 2014
davespain, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
I am very disappointed to read you comment about the bar of soap. I assure you this is but a rare oversight by one of the housekeepers. Nonetheless, I will have a serious "Sunday go to meeting" conversation with my housekeeping staff to insure it does NOT happen again. We are not, nor do we claim to be an ocean front hotel. We are 300" across a small access road to the beach access. Our ocean view suites accurately note that they are partial ocean view. That said, it is a pretty nice partial and rarely do we hear complaints as guests almost universally enjoy the view from their private balcony where they can enjoy beautiful ocean sunrises every day. I'm sorry you're not a bigger fan of Cocoa Beach as we have so much to offer. Besides some of the nicest beaches in Florida we are just a short drive to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, a must-see for those lucky enough to be in the area. I hope you will give Cocoa Beach, and us, another try in the future.
Florida Panhandle, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is one of the best values in Cocoa Beach. My room, with a great view of the ocean, was cleaned well everyday. The pool area is lush and inviting. Breakfast was delicious and the breakfast lady was VERY friendly. This may be an older hotel, but it is clean and in the best part of Cocoa Beach where you can walk to stores and restaurants...AND the beach of course. Will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
davespain, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
First, thank you for taking time to leave your comments. I hope you took the time to catch one of our beautiful sunrises and I hope to see you again very soon.
Chattanooga
Reviewed July 11, 2014

After driving eight hours to get here. I'm ready to go back home... Now!! The rooms are old, and nasty, the bathroom is gross, and the walls are paper thin, so we're having to listen to the drunk family next door yell, curses, and I'm pretty sure they are beating the hell out of each other. It's a holiday weekend, and no other vacant hotels within 30 miles of the port. We had to go buy cleaning supplies, and Lysol just to be halfway comfortable, and hopefully the family next door will either pass out, or knock each other out. Right now I just don't care!! We chose this hotel from the reviews, and for the park and cruise package. Do yourself and your family a favor. Pay to park at the port, and stay somewhere else. I'm not sure where you people are staying, but this place is a complete mess. The only good thing about the stay were the pleasant lady from Beach line shuttle that dropped us off right at our car after our cruise today.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJackson0414
I'm so sorry to read your comments. Thankfully, the vast majority of our guests have a completely different experience.
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I traveled to cocoa beach for a family trip over 4th of July, we were expecting a clean hotel next to the ocean. However, the room was dusty and the shower curtain had what looked like feces stains. The elevator smelled srtongly of chlorine then at another time it smelled like cigarette smoke. The doors to go in to the rooms are extremely filthy as well. Over all our experience was not great except for the customer service at the lobby they were great and did not refuse to cancel our reservations for the next two of the three nights we had booked.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Claudia S
So sorry to hear your stay wasn't more pleasant. We are constantly repainting the doors because so many people prefer to kick the doors open rather than using the door knob. But, they are constantly refreshed with new paint. I'm sorry you found the foot prints on your door.