“Not worth the money for cruise parking”

Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Birmingham, Alabama
“Not worth the money for cruise parking”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here three times paying for the park and ride package for a disney cruise. The service has gotten worse each time. We keep getting later and later shuttles to the ship. The last two times I have transported my family myself. The last time I called for the shuttle back and was told they would be there when the could. 45 minutes later still no sign and I paid for a taxi. Warning you will pay a lot to arrive at ship after lunch and then wait along time for a shuttle back

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
davespain, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I'm sorry your shuttle arrangements were so frustrating. That is very unusual as you can tell from our reviews. But, after reading your review several times, I think I may understand your particular problem. I noted you were trying to get a shuttle after lunch but our last Disney shuttle leaves at 10 am in the morning so you must have called a shuttle company directly. If you were booking our Park & Cruise Package you would have been advised at check-in that your shuttle would depart at 10 am in the morning. Unfortunately, with so many thousands of cruisers all making their way to the cruise terminals things can get a little hectic and traffic can cause problems for the shuttle companies. My suggestion is next time plan to take the regularly scheduled shuttle at 10 am and relax on your ship while you await departure. As for returning to the hotel, shuttles pass by the pickup area at the port every half hour so if you're at the proper location you should never have to wait more than half hour.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Korean first
Attica, Indiana
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I booked this hotel for the day before our cruise out of Port Canaveral using the Fly,Cruise,and Snooze package. We flew into the Orlando (MCO) Airport and after collecting our bags, called Travelynx. They were there to pick us up within a few short minutes. The driver was very personable and pointed out landmarks along the way, as well as places to eat near the hotel. Upon registering at the hotel, we were upgraded free of charge to a courtyard suite. Very nice and roomy! Beautiful view of the courtyard and pool on the second floor. Lots of restaurants and shops in the area, including two 24 hour drug stores for anything forgotten...even prescription medications! The beach is just a short walk from the hotel...less than a block in a beautiful, safe, and well maintained area. The day of the cruise Travelynx was right on time picking us up and getting us to the port by noon. After the cruise, the van was waiting for us as we disembarked the ship to take us back to Orlando, where we arrived at approximatley 11am. I will definitely stay at this hotel again!! Everything they advertised in the package was delivered...and all with friendly smiles!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tlh515
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you found our Fly, Snooze & Cruise Package fit your needs. We pioneered this unique package that allows cruisers to spend the night prior to their departure on the beach instead of being stuck in an airport hotel. I hope you have a chance to visit us again and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.
Kansas City
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We visited the Comfort Inn hotel March 16th, 2014. Despite the hotels age, our room was clean and so was the pool/hot tub. The girl that checked us in was very nice. She provided us with four complimentary drink passes that could be redeemed at the hotel lounge. She said my kids could receive free drinks with the passes. Great!

Unfortunately when we went to the lounge, the bartender was very rude. He said that kids weren't allowed in there and he told them to leave. He then told me I could order drinks for them and then take the drinks outside. He was in a very bad mood. I asked for a margarita for myself, but he rudely told me to 'look at my ticket because those kinds of drinks are not included'. Ouch! I then ordered three non-alcoholic drinks and left. The drinks we received were horrible. It tasted like the CO2 he used to mix the sodas/drinks was bad or was mixed incorrectly. Both of my kids had stomach aches that night.

The next day, we took a shuttle from the hotel to our cruise ship. The shuttle was on time and the driver was very nice. For the return shuttle, we were told that pickup begins at 7:30 am. To catch the first shuttle (we had a long drive), my family got up super early to get our luggage off the ship and to the shuttle on time. We skipped breakfast to be on the first shuttle. Unfortunately the shuttle was almost 20 minutes late which as a bit frustrating.

Another caution. When you leave your vehicle at the hotel while on your cruise, your car is not really at the hotel. You drive it to an parking lot about a block away that can't be seen from the hotel. No security cameras or gates, just a vacant lot. Although nothing happened to my vehicle while we were gone, I did worry about it a bit during the cruise. It's a great concept, but needs improvement.

Overall, this hotel is a good option if you are on a tight budget and don’t expect much. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend though. My advice to the manager would be to work on employee hospitality. Hospitality can really go a long way with tired travelers that are looking for a safe and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Browneee
davespain, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
My apologies about the lounge. This is a first for this sort of issue but I promise I'll be looking into it. I do hope you will visit us again.

Travelers are raving about these Cocoa Beach hotels

fuquay-varina
Reviewed March 18, 2014

a nice place to park and cruise from port canaveral the motel is older but clean and had a nice breakfast included. shuttle to and from the port and parking is a nice bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ah, yes, the Park & Cruise Package! Free shuttle & complimentary parking is a huge value. In fact, the savings on parking at the port ($120 for a 7 day cruise) pays for your stay with us. We hope you can come again when you have a bit more time to enjoy our beach and town.
Bethesda
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We have stayed at a number of Comfort Inns and Suites over the years and they've always been nice and well-kept so it was a little disappointing to walk into the lobby to check in here. It was dark and sort of cramped and the TV was showing depressing local news. The floor had not been vacuumed.

We were given our room key and discovered our room was on the end of the first floor directly under the stairs. There was absolutely no natural light in the room but it wouldn't have mattered because we couldn't keep the shades open anyway since the stairs and parked cars were directly outside and people would be able to look right in at all our belongings. The window and door in the back opened to a "patio" which was a dirty table and chair and a view of cement blocks and a pile of old wood (there isn't anywhere else to store this?) and the scaffolding on the side of the building.

The room itself seemed clean enough and had obviously been somewhat remodeled recently but the overall vibe was just so dreary and gave me the willies, to be honest. We asked if we could move to another room but were told that there was nothing available so we found another hotel down the street to check into the next morning. Unfortunately the room next door seemed to have a couple of obviously unattended kids that screamed and banged furniture around until 11:30 that night. I called the office and they said they would call the room and tell them to keep it down. It was clear that no one called or did anything since I could hear anything above a whisper from next door and the phone never rang and no one knocked on the door.

We checked out first thing in the morning and besides one employee offering half-heartedly to switch our room (even though we were told the day before that there was nothing available), they didn't even seem to care that we wanted to get out of there. We moved down to the other hotel for the remaining four nights and it was waaaaaaaaaay better for a small increase in price that was so, so worth it.

I think a lot of people stay here for only one night before a cruise which is why they aren't too bothered by it and give it a good review. The overall atmosphere is just not nice. I should have been tipped off seeing all the responses on here from the manager who challenges people with complaints and tells them they're mistaken or don't know what they're talking about. Very immature and unprofessional.

Room Tip: I guess if you have to stay here, request a room in the tower that has a better view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Amanda487
Please accept my apology that your stay was not more pleasant.
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here one night prior to our cruise out of Port Canaveral. The room was clean and the staff very friendly. The breakfast buffet was excellent and extensive. We will definitely stay here again when cruising out of Port Canaveral.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QuiltingMimi
Thank you for staying with us and taking advantage of our Park & Cruise package. Hope to see you on your next cruise.
Hazen, North Dakota
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I reserved this hotel for our stay in Cocoa Beach as we have stayed at other Comfort Inns and really liked the cleanliness and value. This particular hotel however was the exception. We were checked in by a helpful young lady. Upon entering our room we found the exterior door did not close properly. It was as if it had been forced open at some point. It was evident that the hotel was an older building that had not been well maintained. Once inside, we were very disappointed with the cleanliness. The refrigerator was not clean and had a bad smell. One of the beds had several hairs in it and a large stain on the sheet. Near the entrance to the bathroom, there was a used Q-tip on the floor. We returned to the front desk and told the employee about the room. To her credit, she did apologize profusely and offered an upgrade. We declined and stayed at another hotel for the remainder of our stay. We may return to other Comfort Inns, but this one is not going to be in our plans.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
My apologies. I can offer no excuse other than to say that my head of housekeeping's job could be in jeopardy. We have very strict cleanliness guidelines with no margin for errors that result in this type of complaint. I promise you I will conduct a thorough investigation of this and bring the matter to my entire housekeeping staff. Besides courtesy from my entire staff nothing is more important to me that guests fining my hotel immaculate when they arrive. This will NOT happen again.