“Good for Reward Stay - Not Worth Your $$$”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Reviewed December 24, 2008

Not one of the better Doubletree or Hilton famiily properties, to be sure. Very cheap construction and an unfinished driveway.

Execution by the hotel staff was below average but acceptable. A lamp had no bulbs, for example. Front desk staff not very good at recommending restaurants or other things to do in the area.

Having said that, we had a fun time there. We avoided the dismal-looking and overpriced hotel restaurant and headed to the Fish House for a great and very affordable family seafood dinner ($30 for 3 with tip). The shopping mall with the Fish House seems to also have the best affordable restaurants in town, with very good Lebanese and Indian restaurants, It also has a great ice cream shop for after eating. My 9-year old had to go back for the superman ice cream.

Bottom line on the Doubletree: Good place to stay for those on Hilton reward stays, as it's a point-stretcher and only costs 18,000 pts. Not worth $100-200/night.

Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank sfbigdude

Reviewed December 6, 2008

We stayed there for 2 nights and 3 days including Thanksgiving day. Since I have Gold status I was able to get one room free but we stayed in the same room all three days with full ocean view. We stayed in Room 401which I think offers the best view because we can also see the swimming pool area:)

As for food, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant because we took advantage of my access to the Concierge Floor dining area on the 6th floor. They offer breakfast (scrambled eggs & pastries) and hor d'ourves in the afternoon (hot food and salad).

There are tons of things to do in the surrounding area. There are numerous restaurants, shops and food stores within walking distance. We were able to purchase bottles of wine from Publix and dined in an excellent Mexican restaurant, La Fiesta! As an added thrill, we also spent a couple hours playing miniature golf :)

It was a wonderful and unforgettable way to spend Thanksgiving Day.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank MrEdnWilbur
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Doubletree November 10-14, 2008 for our annual girlfriends' "retreat" and think overall that it was a wonderful hotel, especially if you book the Executive Floor which includes a continental breakfast and free cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the early evening.

The room was pleasant and we got the two double beds we asked for -- it was room 615 and had a partial ocean view with a small balcony and seating. The best room for the views, we heard, was 601 but I also understand that it was a suite so would have been more expensive that the $180 we paid (plus taxes) a night that we booked on the Doubletree website. There was a microwave and also a small fridge which came in handy to house the munchies and wine we bought right across the street at the Publix market.

The very best advice we got from someone on Trip Advisor was to go to the shopping centre across the street, to the Dollar Store, in order to buy folding lounge chairs at $14.99 each because the hotel wanted $10 each a chair daily if we were to rent from them (for $25 daily we could have had the two chairs and a table with an umbrella).

The staff were most accommodating at the hotel -- to the extent that when we realized there wasn't a wine opener in the room, we called down to Jackie at the front desk who personally found one and delivered it to us! Kudos to Jackie as every hotel should have a lovely lady like this working for them on the front desk.

The continental breakfast included pastries, bagels and cream cheese, a choice of cereals and scrambled eggs as well as Starbucks coffee. In the early evening, starting at 5 pm , we would drop into the Executive Floor lounge and have free drinks as well as appetizers. There was one hot appetizer nightly such as meat balls or chicken kiev, as well as a platter of veggies and a platter of the famous absolutely scrumptious Doubletree chocolate cookies. We always took a couple of cookies with us to go when we left! These were great as a sweet finish to the blackened fish burgers were ordered as room service three nights in the row (yummy).

Last but not least, the beach was wonderful, expansive but not a great swimming beach although we didn't care as we were there for sunbathing. The water was cool and there were lots of thundering waves to look at between books, as well as beautiful sunrises we could see from our balcony. We never went in the pool although must remark that it was a nice set up and one that we journeyed through each day to reach the beach.

We didn't have a lot of time to try out restaurants, nor to shop although we did spend a couple of hours in Ron Jon's Surf shop down the street from the Doubletree. It was the biggest one we had ever seen -- two huge floors of swimming, surfing, sun stuff that you were ever want to see or buy. I came away with water shoes and was impressed that they were only $10. I didn't need these for Cocoa Beach because, as I mentioned, the water was too cold and too rough for me. Instead, they are for my next trip to Cuba and were recommended by someone on this site for the resort I'll be going to in November.

I should add just one thing and that is I am very much appreciative of the North American quality you get at a place like the Doubletree, having spent many holidays in other countries like Cuba. That's not to say that I don't love Cuba but there are many differences in the expectations that tourists have if they are only used to North American standards. I am fortunate enough to be able to experience and to appreciate both sets of standards often enough to know of what I speak or write.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Any one considering staying at this hotel please reconsider. The customer service and hospitality one would expect to receive from a hotel of this nature was unsatisfactory. Our stay was extremely disappointing to say the least. There was illegal drug activity going on in the hotel which resulted in the police raiding the room across from ours at 1am. We had booked a suite and had to be move to a smaller room on another floor at 1am. We were then move to another room the next morning, still not a suite as we had book. Then we were charged for a suite after we were told by the front desk staff that they would take care of the cost of the room. When checking out we spoke with the Front Desk manager Matt Johnson who could have cared less that what was supposed to be a special trip ended up being a nightmare. In fact he was down right rude! Please do not give this hotel your business.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank orltravler
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We had a partial oceanfront view on the second floor. The room was clean and nice but not anything special. No wow factor. The lobby was nice the heated pool were all clean and nice. The ocean is a short walk away. It is close to food and shopping.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I had read several reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and decided to go ahead and book a night overlooking the ocean at the end of a week long business trip in the area.

I was immediately impressed with the service I received at check-in. I arrived pretty early (around 1:00 p.m.) and the room allotted to me wasn't yet ready so the gentleman behind the counter contacted housekeeping to expedite the cleaning and told me he would keep me informed. I decided to check out the restaurant for a cool drink while I waited and was also pleased to find the staff there pleasant and attentive.

The decor of the lobby and restaurant areas tends to the darker, cooler look (as opposed to the brighter pastels you find as the other typical style in some tropical places) but it isn't unpleasant. Once my room was ready I was handed my keys with all despatch and used the luggage cart (available on request) to get my gear up to the room. A word of caution on the elevators is that there are only two of them and they aren't particularly speedy. You'll get a lot of time to chat with fellow guests as you wait the minute or so it typically takes for one of them to arrive.

I booked an "Executive Floor" room with an oceanfront view. This floor is accessed by swiping your key in the elevator which can be a bit of a chore when you're loaded down with all kinds of bags but it's no big deal. The room itself was very nice. I agree with those who have posted earlier that the rooms are showing a bit of age but everything worked as required and the Internet connection was the fastest I have ever had in a hotel and was by far the easiest to set up without requiring even a log in page. The room I booked had two separate sections and each had a floor air conditioning unit that seemed to work well. There was also a full size fridge, a microwave oven and small sink.

All in all, the age of the furnishings and fixtures in the room didn't bother me a bit and the restaurant food was fresh and tasty both for lunch and breakfast the next morning (I opted to have a full cooked breakfast rather than the free "continental" breakfast which is provided if you stay on the Executive floor).

Being able to watch the sea for a couple of hours and just relax was wonderful and the professional and pleasant service from the staff at all points I encountered in the hotel (front desk, housekeeping and restaurant) was a nice surprise and is the main reason I will indeed return for a couple of days again at the end of my next business trip in November.

There is a large pool area with multiple decks and direct access to a lovely beach for those inclined to sunbathe, swim or surf. It's definitely worth a look if you're in the Cocoa Beach area.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2008

What a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the beach and pool.
We have almost always gone the the west coast of Florida, but last February booked a short vacation to Cocoa Beach and were lucky enough to have the Double Tree recommended to us by our travel agent. We enjoyed our stay so much that when we wanted to plan a Florida trip this past September, we returned to this friendly hotel. Everyone that works at this hotel is so friendly and goes out of their way to make certain that you are well taken care of. From the front desk (and their delicous cookies) to the housekeeping department that kept our room in tiptop shape to the gift shop and the dining area.
The concierge floor provided us with food and warmth of the hosts there and we could not find a better place in the area to dine than the restaurant in the hotel. We also used the exercise room and the computer area. We will definitely be returning to see our friends that we made while we stayed there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple