“Great hotel, horrible service”

Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Weyburn, Canada
“Great hotel, horrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Hampton Inn on November 2, 2012. We only spent one night as we were heading to Kissimee the next day. The women that I checked in with at the front desk was very friendly. After we had checked in we went over to the hot tub at the Marriott. On our way back we stopped at the front desk to pick up a few beer and 2 small bottles of wine. Since I was dripping wet I went upstairsto dry off while my fiance purchased our drinks since he had his photo ID on him. When I got up to the room my fiance called me saying that the woman at the front desk (not that women I had checked in with) was insisting that I had to come downstairs with my photo ID to prove that I was over the age of 21. I was completely unimpressed. I was still in a wet bathing suit and I was expected to go back down the elevator 4 floors to show this women on a power trip that I was over 21. I am 23 and my fiance is 26, I was the one paying for the room and I gave photo ID when I charged the room to my credit card. I think this was completely UNNECCESSARY. I would never stay at this hotel again. It just goes to show how customer service really makes a difference in your vacation experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
opa3425, General Manager at Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear lana346,

First, let me say thank you for your comment that we are a great hotel and that our front desk agent that checked you in was very friendly. However, I apologize for the handling of the purchase of alcohol from our lobby suite shop. By way of explanation, all of our guest service agents are trained in the service of alcohol and part of that training instructs them to ask for identification for anyone that looks under 30 years of age. That being said, the situation was not handled well by our front desk agent. If she was concerned that you were under age, she could have certainly checked with her colleagues that you showed an id at check in, without having to make you come down to the front desk. Again, I apologize for such an inconvenience. I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable.

Tom Williamson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

In all fairness trying to find a hotel on Cocoa Beach that isn't wicked expensive is difficult. Our reservation was for beach view however we also had a view of the parking lot and it kind of put a damper on a romantic weekend but at least we could see the car. :-) The distance to the beach while lugging the cooler was pretty significant but we got it done. Walking distance of Ron Jon which was lots of fun to browse around and there is plenty to chose from in terms of food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim A
Dear Kim A,

I apologize that you were disappointed with our view. While we are not beachfront, we do offer views of the ocean. Our higher floors offer optimum views and we are situated such that there is some terrain between our hotel and the beach. Our landscaped beach path offers direct beach access and is a short walk to the dunes. I hope that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Cocoa Beach.

Best Regards,
Tom Williamson
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

To be fair, I normally stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. This hotel was chosen because I ran the Space Coast 1/2 marathon (highly recommend this race, if you like to run). It was one of the race partner sites that offered free shuttles to the race start.

While I might not stay here normally for my own vacation, for the money, it's a good value. Rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were a little outdated. Our room was on the 8th (top) floor and had a balcony with a view of the ocean.

Wi-fi and breakfast are included, as is coffee/tea in the lobby. Nice perk: every evening they out out fresh-baked cookies at the front desk.

Location is about 20 minutes from the Kennedy Space Center. Lots of restaurants and shops on main road in walking distance from hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 3RedDoxies
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our group of friends all stayed here the night prior to our cruise on November 4. It is your typical Hampton Inn wth breakfast, etc. We also booked the fly, snooze, cruise package. Our room was clean and satisfactory. The hotel has a nice pool and easy access to the beach. It would also be a good place just for a family stay not going on a cruise. There were folks enjoying the pool as well. The hotel environment was very quiet which was nice. I cannot remember the name so ask the desk clerk about the really good seafood restaurant about 5 blocks away. The transportation to the ship was timely in their pick-up at the hotel in the morning and the process for boarding the vans was very efficient.. However, a word to the wise - if traveling with a group, make sure that everyone gets on the same van. Some of us went on a van and the others on a large bus. It created a nighmare at the cruise terminal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
2 Thank RichmondBelle
u.k
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I love Hampton Inns. I thought this one was a little older decor wise, but as usual spotlessly clean in the bedroom and common parts. The bed was brilliant to sleep in, so comfortable, as were the pillows which has either soft or firm choices which I love. The room was a bit darker in its colour scheme which wasn't quite as nice as some of its newly decorated counterparts. The breakfast area was very big and we sat where we chose and had lovely food choosing from so many things. Different breads and pastries, various cereals, porridge, hot waffles, fruit salad and whole fruits, yogurts, plus eggs and meaty things. There is a free newspaper for everyone on week days. This is the first Hampton Inn I've been to where the rooms are on outside landings and I thought it might suffer as such, it didn't, it was very quiet and peaceful. We had a balcony which we would have liked more time to use. All in all, if I were in the area, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Phila, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at this Hampton on Nov 3 for 1 night prior to our cruise on Freedom of the Seas. It was an excellent stay and a very nice property. We booked the fly, snooze, cruise package and HIGHLY recommend it. Travelynx is the shuttle service they use and everything went off without a hitch. We got off the plane at 2:00pm, got our luggage, and were at the Hampton at about 3:30.

Our room was ready, clean, and had a nice balcony. Beds were extremely comfy. We had lunch at the Courtyard across the lot then came back to the Hampton so the kids can use the pool for a bit. One bad thing - the water was freezing!

The breakfast in the morning was great and the shuttle service to the port was excellent and on time. We were one of the first to board the ship. After the cruise, Travelynx was out there waiting to take us back to the airport. I would definetely book this package again with the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank allie3490
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

First, we arrived at 9pm and left at 9am so there wasn’t much time to do much at the hotel itself. I actually would have stayed at the Hilton Cocoa Beach, not because of this hotel, but I go there once a year for a conference and like the property.

I tend to write longer reviews than most. It really irks me when people complain about things and it isn’t the fault of the hotel. If it has exterior, outside doors, it isn’t the fault of the hotel chain especially if the hotel is around 50 years old. It’s the way hotels were built back then.

I also find it really funny that people go to hotels expecting everyone they stay at to be pretty much newly built within the past few years. Come on people, hotels in tourist areas are going to be between 5 and 50 years old. Do some research before you reserve a room.

Now, when I travel I stay brand loyal. For me, that means a Hilton family property. Our preferred hotel has a hot tub, and is affordable. On the east coast of FL, we also want beachfront with a balcony. I had three choices in Cocoa Beach, the Hilton, the Doubletree and the Hampton Inn. None of them had a hot tub. That alone strikes me as odd. But they don’t, I don’t go cry over it. We didn’t need it Thursday or Friday morning. We were going to need it Friday night and Saturday night. The balcony and view were more important in this case. We wanted to watch the sun rise while having a cup of coffee in the morning.

The hotel had balconies which was perfect or so I thought. In some areas the properties that line the beach are somewhat dense with development. There is a beach view. But the hotel’s orientation is that the front faces north and the balconies face south. And there is an apartment building/condo directly between the hotel and the east. If we leaned out over the balcony we could catch a glimpse of the edge of the sun rise.

I don’t fault the hotel for this. They just can’t pick it up and move it. But if you expect a beach view facing east this isn’t the hotel you want.

Some people have said it’s an old property. Yes, but it has had several face lifts through the years. Don’t forget this section of Florida became a tourist mecca in the 60’s when the space program started. Cocoa Beach was where many of the visiting staff, contractors and astronauts would stay when in town. Older properties far outnumber newer ones.

Also remember this area was heavily hit by the 2005 hurricanes. When they rebuilt, many hotels closed up balconies and sealed the windows for safety and security reasons. Don’t be surprised by this. The Hampton Inn has sliding doors on the balconies so they can close them in case of a hurricane. I was surprised but realized it made a lot of sense.

One other thing. Way back in the 60’s motels (not hotels) were popping up like corn stalks in a good planting season. Motels have exterior doors. The Hampton Inn was probably a motel chain in a former life. Newer Hampton Inns have interior doors. Rebranded ones with a longer life may not. I’ll also note that at no time did I feel the property was not safe.

Also if anyone was there a few months back, the lobby construction was finished when we were there way ahead of time.
And in closing I have to note that the staff that we dealt with were great, the room was in great condition. In the survey I completed from Hampton/Hilton after my stay the only negative I noted was the southern view instead of eastern. Overall I rated it 8 or 9 out of 10.

Room Tip: If you want to try to catch the sun rise, try to get a room as far from the beach as possible.