“GREAT but Don't stay on WEEKENDS!!! It's PARTY CENTRAL!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wakulla Suites

Wakulla Suites
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Indiana
“GREAT but Don't stay on WEEKENDS!!! It's PARTY CENTRAL!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

We arrived June 30th and checked out on July 5th. From check-in until July 3rd it was GREAT! We picked Cocoa Beach as it was far enough from Daytona (NASCAR race was intown on the July 4th weekend) and we picked Wakulla as it boasts it is a FAMILY hotel.

We needed a handicapped accessable room. We were placed on ground floor in the last room in the Courtyard- right by the parking lot! Which was very handy with a terminally ill wife and mother-in-law. We arrived an hour early to check in (not knowing we were an hour early) and they happily took us and gave us our room.

The rooms were more like smaller apartments- which beat staying in a double bed hotel room elsewhere. While the sofa had a tear in it and was very used, it was a pull-out that our oldest child slept on. The "hotel" room was very clean, except the floor as it made the bottom of your feet black. But, this is a Beach hotel so that might be norm.

Housekeeping was very nice and was wonderful. And it was nice and family oriented from June 30th until July 3rd. Kids made friends at the nice pool...at that time, it was the type of place where everyone greeted everyone, you could leave things laying outside on your chairs and not worry about it being stolen...

Then July 3rd happened...we went out to dinner and came back and ALL parking spots were filled. At the end of the Courtyard is a large parking lot but they do not have 1, NOT ONE, designated for Handicapped parking. When looking at the cars parked in the spots alot of them did NOT have parking permits! And when you reserve your room(s) and even when you check in, Wakulla staff STRESS how only 1 car allowed or you may be towed!

Other families were upset over the parking issue. While Wakulla security did put a 'ticket' on each car that did not have a Wakulla Parking Permit, and that 'ticket' did state if the car was not moved it may be towed....not one car was ever towed. Security told us that the MANAGEMENT won't allow to have cars towed. Mangement told us the OWNERS won't allow them to have cars towed.

The Courtyard would NOT be the place to stay to avoid the noise, at least on weekends. The younger crowd (20somethings) were having their drunkin' partying going on all night...yelling, screaming, fighting, loud music, banging all occurred in the Courtyard. They were playing BEER PONG as well as other games as well....running up and down by our room, screaming and keeping my teenager sleeping in the living room awake.

What happens is 1 person rents room and 20 people show up later....or a few people rent a few rooms and they each have 20 people show up...

July 4th was even worse...we arrived back at 2:30 AM only to find not 1 parking spot...even the NO PARKING zones were full...cars blocking exit/entrance to roads....

When I went to the office to complain again (same cars parked again) I was told to park in the neighboring Marriott parking lot, as they "have an understanding"...but I was to remove my Wakulla parking pass...I thought "yeah, some understanding if I have to take down my Wakulla Parking Pass"... Marriott ended up full too (no doubt from the drunk, partying crowd at Wakulla as it had doubled on the night of the 4th)...after 40 minutes I found a spot in the "Beach front" Wakulla building.

If it was not for our Handicapped placard, we wouldn't have had that parking spot...

ANother problem that started on July 3rd & 4th, we had the outdoor plastic chairs by our room (hotel provides). We came up from the beach on the 3rd, put stuff on those chairs and headed to the pool area. When we came back from the pool all our stuff was thrown on the ground and the chairs were taken!

We told Security and they recovered 2 of our chairs that night. We were told each room was allowed 2 chairs...however, the partying crowd had taken all the chairs and had more than 2...and there were a ton of people at the party that did not reserve rooms.

The night of the 4th we were outside sitting listing to the party going on...I got thirsty and went in for less than 5 minutes to grab a pop and by time I came outside the 2 chairs were taken again!

Security tried to do what they could but their hands are tied as management, errr, the Owners will not allow them to do more than tell people to "quiet down" and to put FAKE tickets on cars. We overheard many of the 20something partying crowd state when they saw their tickets...laugh, rip them up and say "Look what we got again"...

***According to Security this partying is EVERY WEEKEND...not just HOLIDAYS***

The most dissapointing was the parking...I paid for the room, I kept my kids respectful to other guests there, I did what I was to do...yet, I could NOT PARK next to my hotel 2 nights due to the managements' or owners' inability or FEAR.

I would ONLY recommend this hotel to a friend during the weekdays...then go elsewhere where management and/or the Owners will respect their PAYING guests.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelwriterIndiana
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Wakulla Suites, responded to this review, June 22, 2016
Thank you for sharing your review. This resort has recently gained new ownership. We hope that you return again to see what we have to offer.

Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My sister and I stayed here for her birthday. We arrived earlier than the check-in time (2:45) and they checked us right in. We got a pool room on the second floor right over the pool.
Seemed like everyone was having so much fun in the pool area. Lots of kids in the large pool and the kiddie pool. Adults using the barb-Q and playing shuffleboard.
I was so pleased with how spacious the rooms are. All are 2 bedrooms and the room with the king size bed had a hugh walk in closet. Big enough for a portacrib. The bed was extremley comfortable and we cranked down the air and it was like a fridge.
The second bedroom had a full bed and a twin. Nice kitchen with dining area and glass sliding door to balcony. Our carpet was very clean and that always wins points with me.
Our room was in a busy and jolly area of the motel yet both bedrooms in all the units are on the back side and it was still very quiet and we heard nothing from back there.
If you want to be away from the excitement then you might want to choose the Courtyard or Beach rooms.
The property is very large and it is a bit of a walk to the beach but keep in mind that most properties on Cocoa Beach are older and are set far back from the beach.
Don't expect Trump towers as this is an older hotel but this is a real deal for your buck.
We will be coming back with the grandkids at a later date. We got the best rate on their own website.
I positively would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank thesteevesgroup

Orlando
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

We had a HORRIBLE experience! It started when we were directed to an already occupied room. Minutes after we arrived at the correct room, another couopple shoed up at the door and had been given the same room. The couch was FILTHY! We were supplied with one twoel, no washcloths for 5 people and told that "we have been very busy, call us later and we'll have some." By the way our room was 88 degrees when we arrived. AFter the guy tried for 45 minutes or so, we told them we needed a new room or we were leaving. The gal at the desk told us that we should "thank" her co-worker for finding us another room! By the way, the couch was also filthy in the second room, but at least the A/C worked! When evening arrived, there was lot of fun happening in the courtyard--a bunch of folks were drinking and playing "beer pon" (as explained two me by the 3 adolescents with us). They don't allow smoking in the rooms, however, cigarette butts were abundant on the balconies and walkways. When we were ready to turn in for the night, my son's girlfriend noticed her blanket and sheets had a big yellow tain on them, yep, you guessed it, they smelled of urine! Someone brought up new sheets for us, unfortunately, my son and his girlfriend drove back to Orlando because she was so upset! Upon check out, I took the manger aside and reviewed with her all of the events that happened during our stay--she wanted to know if we wanted late check out; are you kidding me?????
Moral of the story: DON'T STAY HERE!!

2 Thank orlandomama

KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed 4 nights, which included a weekend. There was some of the partying that others have mentioned, but nothing that affected our stay in some big, bad, scary way. There were plenty of other little kids there, so my daughter had a good time playing in the pool with them. The rooms (apartments, really) were clean and exactly what we were looking for. And I was glad that the furniture wasn't brand-spanking new, because we were constantly in and out of the ocean and pool, wearing bathing suits and tracking sand, as much as we tried to be careful. It was nice to just relax and not stress over it. I was able to do some laundry there, and we ate breakfasts and snacks out of our own kitchen/dining room, which was super handy. And having our own beach was the BEST! No worries about parking or distance or time constraints or crowds - just walk on over whenever you feel like it. Heavenly. We rented surfboards and bought a beach umbrella and boogie board - all provided a ton of bang for your buck!

1 Thank OztravKs

fairylova
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

Every year a group of us get together at Cocoa and this is the hotel where we usually stay. I found the hotel on sidestep.com for an insanely low price but some of my friends paid double what I did for the same room. The room is a two room suite that could comfortably sleep six. It also has a full kitchen and beach access which is perfect. After a long day at the beach, it was nice to come back and fire up one of the outside grills and kick back by the pool.

The cons:
- Rooms weren't ready at almost check in time but I was able to change and leave my bag behind the desk.
-Desk staff seemed constantly overwhelmed. They were on the phone with the other phone ringing with people standing at the desk. Service took a while. For the most part, the staff was friendly.
-It's a beach hotel so it's sandy and not the cleanest but for what I paid, it was adequate.

Pros:
-On the beach.
-Great value for what I paid
-Full kitchen, outdoor grills and great common areas to accommodate a large group.
-Did I mention--on the beach?

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank fairylova

Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

This Resort is VERY misleading when they say beachfront. When we arrived I couldn't believe that we had to walk about 2 football fields to get to the ocean. With small children this is quiet a task when you add on 3 beach chairs, cooler, snacks, ect......The staff was very friendly although the housekeeper neglected to sweep or mop the floor until asked. When we arrived there were gnats all in the suite. We had to constantly keep a spray bottle of bleach handy to spray them down! The beds were extremely comfortable!!!! We enjoyed the pool and the tropical garden around the rooms. It was a fair stay overall. Would I recommend it? No, if you have small children you need to stay somewhere closer to the beach!

Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

After reading several other reviews, we were somewhat concerned about our stay. We found these reviews very misleading and they must have been written by persons who are used to staying at Five star hotels. We found the suite to be very spacious and clean. The beds were very, very comfortable. The kitchen ammenities were awesome. The only thing we needed that was not available was a cookie sheet. Not a big deal. The staff was very cordial and always had a smile. Any concern we had was addressed immediately and resolved immediately. This is a great family spot. The pictures on the site are not misleading at all. What you see is what you get. The property was beautiful with such vibrant colors and landscaping. Although the property is oceanside and not oceanfront, the 4-5 min. walk to the beach was not bad at all. The pool area is beautiful. My only recomendation would be to bring special chlorine removing shampoo. The pool is pretty chlorinated. But if that what is what it takes to kill the germs then so be it. I would recommend this place to anyone.

1 Thank GAFam4