“Terrible place to stay”

Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Havana, Florida
“Terrible place to stay”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Booked a room over the mothers day weekend, walked in and the room smelled like it had been moped with a dirt bleach mop. Could not stay in room, my eyes were burning and i got the worst headache. Turned on the AC it worked for 5 min then stopped working. Called the manager and he said it smelled that way because the AC was off. Left will not every stay in this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank barb s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

$49 senior rate walk in. Family run. Young man at desk ? Sava...Indian name wonderful...let me see several rooms as I found them to have smokey carpets. Rooms on second level least smokey. Sava gave me a can of deodorizer to keep in room. They remodel this older motel but, left the old carpets....mistake...tiles floor needed. These are all non smoking rooms, but lots of ash trays outside on window ledge. Nice heated pool area. No breakfast but, free coffee hot chocolate machine and many local restaurant menus in lobby. Sava even looked up menus for me online at front desk. Wifi in room worked great. Short walk to beach but have to cross busy blvd. good night sleep for the money. Did not notice smoke odor after short while.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Frank M
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. The hotel is old, I mean it in the nicest way. For the price we paid, it was cheap. The front desk was friendly and nice. The room was clean, though it had a faint old smell. The bathroom was decent size and well kept. There's a mini fridge on the plus for us to store our liquids. Unfortunately our beds were soft, I usually like mine firm, and you can tell how old a mattress is by how well it lacks support for your back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Calabash, North Carolina
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is not a resort like everything else that surrounds it. This is a motel that was probably built back in the late 60's to mid 70's. It has the necessities for a nights stay or a weeks stay, either way. The room we had was clean and the bathroom facilities were clean. We had a king bed with a dresser and a lounge chair with side tables along the bed. The TV worked fine and there was a heated pool that we did not use. The place was safe and secure and we both got a good night's sleep. When we checked out the next morning we were given 2 chits for two breakfasts at a local diner. The breakfast I had was a decent size piece of ham, eggs, toast, and coffee. We stayed here prior to boarding the next morning for our cruise. We'd stay here again. It sure beats staying at one of the resorts and paying the big bucks.

Room Tip: We had ground floor back near the pool. Quiet there.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I booked this hotel because we stayed there for a couple of days about five years ago, and I remember liking it. So, despite some of the reviews I read in this forum before I made the reservation for the one night park and cruise package, I did it any way, feeling confident that some people may just be way too picky. I wish I was right, but I wasn't.

The Good - The motel is in a good location, and the people who ran (and maybe own) it seemed genuinely nice. The bathroom (in the room) that appeared to be newly renovated five years ago still looked fairly decent even though the floor of the bathtub was stained, and some of the grout in the tub area also looked like it needs to be caulked or something.

The Bad - The hotel was not as I remember it five years ago. It is badly in need of some upkeep and updating. The carpet looked dirty because it is a very dark color and shows up "everything."

The Ugly - There were "stains" on the ceiling and walls. Could be dirt or marks from whatever had brushed against it, but it looks bad. Just a coat of touch-up paint would have done wonders. The air-conditioner cover had scratches all over it that at first looked like dirt (till I tried to rub it off with a towel -- just curious to see if it was just dirty and discovered that they were actually dark etches). The frame around that air-conditioner also looked really dirty -- a new coat of paint would have been a great improvement. The door of the room was warped on the base, like it had some water damage and was starting to come apart. My husband and I walked around the bed and pulled up the covers and sheets just to inspect it for bedbugs, and to our relief it was clean. The bed was hard and sheets threadbare. But the pillows were horribly thin and extremely lumpy! They may have tried to wash it or something and the stuffing have clumped together, but it was very uncomfortable.

We spent the night there but I promised my husband that I will never book that hotel again. It is a shame that the quaint little hotel that I liked so much several years ago has deteriorated so badly. The bathroom looked like it belong to a two and a half star motel, and the room itself looked like it is a one and a half star motel (and I am being generous).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Coconut1961
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stayed a few years ago, it was alot better then. The motel is in need of some updating and TLC. It is cheap and the breakfast at the Sunrise dinner was good. The pool is very warm. The sheets were too small and would not stay on the bed. The room was in need of a good vacuuming. I probably will not return if in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Just really sad how this motel has changed . I slept with my clothes on and pushed the chair to my door. Do I need to say more?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple