“Nice!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“Nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Great place right on the beach! It's a typical Hilton.

• Liked — nice part of the beach, not too much activity to the right of the hotel
  • Disliked — cleaning service times were random
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Greek first
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

This wasn't the poshest place, but it was nice. Clean, large room, great bed. Beach access was great. Friendly, helpful staff. The dumb pop music on the deck was kind of annoying, I certainly didn't want to hang out there. And wi-fi definitely should have been free. Everything else was great.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach.
  • Disliked — Should have had free wi-fi.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

Reserved this room on a Saturday for that night and requested Ocean view. When we arrived we decided to stay an extra night and the desk clerk was very accomodating even though it was a busy weekend. The clerk advised that the view from the room may be partially obstructed, so we were nervous heading up there. The room was very nice with a great view. The only obstruction was a small sliver in the edge of the window. The rest was all ocean.
This hotel was the only one that we had stayed at during the entire vacation that had properly working a/c units. Nice cool rooms without freezing us. We stayed in several hotels during our travels around the state and melted or froze the entire time.
We had been told to avoid the restaurant there and found some great local places to eat. Well worth it to go out to eat.
Pool was freezing cold and the beach had lots of dead jellyfish in it. My daughter was stung by a live one and that is how we found out that Cocoa Beach has NO Lifeguards except at Jetty Park. Fortunately an Ice Cream vendor at the hotel told us how to treat the sting, since no one else who worked at the hotel knew.
And do wear shoes on the deck, it has huge splinters and is very dry and brittle.
Only maintenance issue was a clogged up sink, but maintenance took care of it immediately and was very friendly while taking care of it.
Laundry room is very tiny, but there is a great laundrymat just down the street and if you don't have the time or desire to wash it yourself, just drop it off and they will take care of it. It was worth staying and doing it yourself. The Manager/Owner was very friendly and informative and the decor was interesting to look at.
There are many nearby shops and the river. Great hotel for a vacation.

• Liked — It's right on the beach
  • Disliked — The pool was too cold
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Charleston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

We were guests at this property during the (very busy!) week of Memorial Day 2008. I booked this particular hotel along with my best friend, who had her wedding planned during the week right in front of the hotel (on the beach). Check-in was a breeze and took less than five minutes, the young male clerk was very professional and competent. We had requested 2 queen beds per Expedia, and this was granted immediately. He even put us in an available first floor room (which I highly recommend...side door access to the parking lot, avoiding the lobby area, which can be crowded). The rooms were spacious with high ceilings, and the beds were FABULOUS. I'm extremely picky regarding beds- I'm a nurse and try to take good care of my back, and their beds definitely are a luxurious experience.

A few things to note regarding the hotel:

1. The pool/deck area is a little on the small side, and the Tiki Bar next to the pool is pricey. Drinks are around 7-8 bucks apiece (even virgin drinks!), and there are signs posted which attempt to dissuade patrons of the hotel from bringing coolers/snacks. However, this is not policed and we brought a small cooler to keep our drinks cold. You can purchase a "coconut" souvenier drink holder from the Tiki Bar which comes with a white plastic cup- refills on this cup are free for the duration of your stay as long as your beverage is non-alcoholic. We did this and didn't receive any flack, even when a member of our party lost her cup.

2. We had a HORRIBLE experience at the restaurant. Our waiter (I think his name was Josh) took our order without writing anything down, promptly screwed up the drink order bang out of the gate, and then the fun started. He delivered our salads to us (only two of them) with the wrong dressing, and then brought the correct dressing to me- and I had no salad!! By this time, we'd been seated around 40 minutes with no food whatsoever. When we looked at the salads at that point and saw wilted lettuce and stuff that looked like it was poured out of a Wal-Mart salad bag, we summoned the manager and said "thanks but no thanks." She quickly offered to remedy the situation and was very professional/gracious. I told her quite honestly we just wanted to leave, and we'd be glad to pay for our drinks. She said "absolutely not" and apologized again for our experience.

3. For whatever reason (which I have still not sorted out a week later) my credit card I left for amenities at the desk was declined. Staff left me a message on the room phone and were very gracious/discreet regarding the situation. In an attempt to tame my spending, I had only brought one credit card with me on my trip. I asked the desk supervisor (whose name was Sunny- professional, very courteous) if I could leave a cash deposit instead and she made it happen, although I'm sure it's not customary. She made what could have been a bad experience into a breeze.

All in all, I was very pleased with my stay. I am a diligent trip advisor user, and NEVER stay ANYWHERE without consulting this site- I can't tell you how many times this site has saved me bad trips! I felt the reviews were a little mixed and decided to chance it. I had a good experience on this trip and didn't notice any problems with air-conditioning (although please note I stayed on the first floor ;) or the other issues that plagued earlier travels.

I'd give a cautious "recommend" for future travelers.

• Liked — The BEDS!!!!
  • Disliked — Ridiculous surcharges for high speed internet access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank doublejae34
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stayed with family at the Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront property Memorial Day weekend May 2008. Now wished I hadn't however.

Due to HHonors gold status, I was automatically placed on the 7th floor (6th and 7th floors are supposedly reserved for HHonors only). From check in by a smart aleck desk clerk to the first step on the very sticky elevator floor surface, it was not looking good.

Upon arrival into the room, we quickly discovered the air conditioning did not work and was not cooling the room at all. A call to the front desk dispatched maintenance to our room (the first of 5 visits by maintenance during the weekend).

The A/C blew partially cold for approx 30 minutes after maintenance departure from our room. Then, back to hot air. After trying to sleep in the 80+ degree room, we had enough.

A call to the front desk got us another room on the 6th floor. We had to move at 2am, waking my sweating 6 year old. We left our belongings in the 7th floor room until the next morning. Also no offer to move our things was extended by the front desk staff. Severely lacking customer service!!!

Guess what? The room on 6th floor air didnt work correctly either! Maintenance was again dispatched to our relocated room. The air issue was never fully fixed during our stay. We kept our drapes closed the entire time trying to help nurse the air along (so much for that partial oceanview we paid extra for). We did notice the air works excellently down on main lobby level, where employee offices, the front desk, bar and restaurant are located. Interesting.

Other items of note about this property:

They advertised 'entertainment' during the weekend. The 'entertainment' consisted of some young tattoed DJ wannabe guy playing hip hop and remixed 'music'. I wonder if Hilton now targets the exclusive teen business market demographic because they were they only group even remotely interested in this form of 'entertainment'. There was also a 'poolside' movie played outside, only it wasnt by the pool and it wasn't family friendly.

The HIlton Cocoa Beach pool was interesting. I noticed some white substance (pool chemical? $10 pina colada spilled in the pool? Unknown infant substance? I don't know) swirling around in the drain on the ledges of the pool. Very gross. I didnt know what I was swimming in. Also too many unsupervised children jumping in on top of people and swimming around on floaties in the deep end (no pool attendants present). Never saw anyone cleaning the pool all weekend also.

There is an intimidating warning message on a sign on the gates to all who enter the wood planked splinter laden pool deck...something to the effect of 'all food and beverages provided by the hotel. No coolers allowed'. Whatever. I saw PLENTY of people drinking and eating their own snacks around the pool, so we started doing it too pouring our drinks into clear plastic cups just like they serve at the bar. Nice attempt Hilton to force guests to patronize your poolside bar. Hilton seriously thinks they can ban guests from carrying coolers to and from the beach and restrict what people eat while on the outside deck of the property?

Upon checkout, I tried to obtain a luggage cart to move my luggage myself, which i was more than willing to do since I did not want to wait 30 minutes for a bellman. Upon request at the front desk I was told the 'cart comes with a bellman'. I asked again and the desk clerk offered the same robotic response. I asked 'is the bellman surgically attached to the cart?'. No response from the desk clerk...along with no show of concern or apology either. What was even more appalling was the supervisor who was training the desk clerk watched the entire exchange and did not say a word.

I guess Hilton holds luggage carts hostage in order to fund bellman tips. Never been to any hotel that wouldnt let guests use available luggage carts. Astounding!

Also was charged $37 for a tasteless 'hot' buffet breakfast (which actually is a $6 per person HHonor 'upgrade' from the 'cold' selection...never seen this at any Hilton either). The breakfast was horrendous (i've never encountered dark gray runny oatmeal before). I disputed the overcharge after receiving the ticket at the table and the confused server recalculated the 'correct' amount....anyway we weren't charged for breakfast due to their accounting incompetence (they forgot to add it to our room charges).

I have to say the service level at this property is severely lacking. There must be a huge shortage of qualified employee talent pool in the Cocoa area. We encountered more than one restaurant staff that was very confused about HHonors meal plan. And one server in the restaurant was very worried and continually hovering over guests trying to close the buffet lids that were open while people were trying to obtain food from the dishes. Very strange!

Did I mention having to wait endlessly on the 3 elevators crowded with people lugging countless items to the beach and back? I observed one clueless parent allowing her toddler to bring beach sand and ocean water in two buckets back in the elevator to their room, spilling it all the way down the hallway and on the elevator. Additionally, elevator access is supposed to be limited on the HHonors floors (6 and 7) to room key card holder access. On our visit anyone could access these two floors from any elevator without a coded room key.

Security is also a concern at this property. I came back late one night around 11:45 pm (after a visit to the Cocoa Beach Pier) and returned to the huge open parking lot where I never observed any posted security. Also I freely accessed an interior hallway side door entry at this time without having to scan my room key to open the door. Scary for the unlucky people staying in the rooms next to this door.

Hilton has a definite problem at Cocoa Beach. They are trying to run a business oriented HHonors property (conference rooms and meeting facilities) with a leisure traveler beachfront motel with people clogging the elevators with tons of sandy beach stuff with 2-3 screaming kids in tow. Hilton successfully achieves greatness in neither aspect. Had I been travelling on business I would have immediately checked out of this property.

At $149 plus tax per night I feel I greatly overpaid for this HIlton sweatbox, non customer service 'experience'. At no time did Hilton attempt to change my rate or offer anything for our inconvieniences. The only thing they got right was sliding my bill under the door the morning of check out.

I will be letting Hilton corporate know about our time at this property and I would suggest to others to pass on a stay at this property at all costs.

I had a much better time at the Holiday Inn Marina recently in Marathon, FL. This property poolside room rate was cheaper, didn't pretend to be anything other than it was, and served my needs a lot better than the Cocoa Beach Hilton ever did!

• Liked — Convienient to Cocoa Beach.
  • Disliked — The dirty pool, the sauna-like room, the rude staff, the missing security, and the sticky elevators!!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank Floridaroadtrip
travelbiz2000
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

Went to Cocoa Beach on a spur of the moment trip with my wife and parents for Mothers Day. We booked the Hilton while en route to Cocoa Beach for a $99 web rate. The hotel is a little off the beaten path from the main tourist "stuff" in Cocoa Beach but it looked promising and it is right on the beach. After checking into our room, we thought it was very stuffy and warm. Turned down the digital thermostat and there was no change after twenty minutes. We were about to head out to the bar and beach, so I called the front desk and asked them to try fixing it while we were gone. We all got started by going to the pool bar for Pina Colada's. The bar was not even close to busy with two bar tenders and about 12 customers total lounging around the pool area. However, it still took about 10 minutes to place an order each time we needed a drink. And those drinks were out of line at $7-8 each for a 6 ounce plastic cup. We all agreed that alcohol content was lacking as well. The pool had a slightly greenish tinge to it, but we did not stay their for long and walked down to the beach and spent some quality time together. A few hours later, we returned to our room, salty, sweaty, hot and sandy. The room was even warmer than before. Another call to maintenance and the guy came about 5 minutes later, right after I had stepped into the shower to clean off after the beach. Problem is, the access to the A/C is through the bathroom ceiling. 10 minutes later I am out of the shower and he comes back. It took about an hour of fidgeting with the system, but he finally got it to work right. All the while, my wife is sitting there waiting to get cleaned off herself so that we can go to dinner.

I own a travel agency and am very familiar with what to expect in most hotels and this property is sub-standard for a Hilton. Don't book here and expect to have the same experience you do at other typicaly Hiltons.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank travelbiz2000
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

I am an experienced traveler, having stayed in many many hotels all over the world, and I will say that this Hilton is the best hotel/hotel staff I have ever experienced. Definetly stay here, you will have a great time and everyone is so nice.
Pros/Above Average
1. I was coming from a cruise and decided to stay here, they pick you up from the cruise port and bring you to the hotel free of charge.
2. They let me check in 6 hours early (that is unheard of), they also let me check out 2 hours late never batting an eye.
3. The hotel staff was friendly, helpful and gracious. They helped me with directions in the area, finding a place to eat.
4. Pool bar is nice and the food is good, try the spinach artichoke dip!
5. Beautiful hotel, area on the beach and pool. Everything is clean, safe, quiet.
6. Beds are very comfortable with plenty of pillows.
7. Iron was in good shape. For some reason the hotels i have stayed at lately the bottom of the irons have been dirty....this was fine here at Hilton.
8. Plenty of umbrellas and lounge chairs to use by the pool. You have to rent them to use on the beach but it you go to a local store nearby you could buy and use for the week.

Cons turned into a Pro
1. When we got up to our room the toilet didn't flush. We called the front desk and they sent someone up immediately to fix it. The maintenance guy was friendly and even gave us some info on things to do in the area. The front desk gave us the option to change rooms but we didn't want to make a big deal of it, it was fixed fine.

Oops!
1. We accidently started getting breakfast on the first morning in the HHonors area. I had a slice of fruit on the small plate and my mother had a bagel and coffee, we were just about to sit down when a worker came in and told us we shouldn't/couldn't be in that area. We were embarassed and she took us to the buffett area and told us we would have to buy two buffetts for what we had on our plates (a little piece of fruit and a bagel with coffee). Then nobody could fine an available table for us, and on top of the scene she was making telling the waitresses that we were in the unauthorized area getting food (all the other guest staring at us), we decided to just leave the food and go out to eat. We felt horrible for making the mistake of being in the HHonors area, but she probably could have been a little more quiet and tactful instead of making us feel so embarrased. Anyway, we didn't let that one person ruin the trip. It was a great time, just be careful to eat in the correct area!

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — breakfast police
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple