“Good place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Massachusetts
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed in room 110 from September 5th until the 8th. We have stayed at this hotel many times before but this is my first written review of the place.

The main reason we book this hotel is because of the price and the location. We use our AAA card and get a decent discount. We love the location of this place too. We come mainly for the beach and it is an easy walk from the hotel.

We booked a king size bed. I found the room very comfortable and clean. There is a microwave and refridgerator and a coffee machine in the room. The air conditioning works very well and the television has HBO.

The toilet and shower are in their own seperate room with the sink on the outside. The water pressure in the shower is excellent. The shower feels really good after spending the day at the beach.

We spent an afternoon by the pool. I found it clean and there were plenty of towels, chairs and tables.

There is a free continental breakfast across the street at the Best Western. There are pastries, breads, cereals, juices, coffee and some fruits. My husband was disappointed that there was not any yogurt. Also in the lobby of the Best Western, there are computers for use; also free. We were able to print out our Southwest Airlines boarding passes there. The lobby is in a different building from where the breakfast is.

There is plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance of the hotel so you could get by for a few days without a car. We have gone next door to the Durango restaurant many times but we were both disappointed with our meals this time. I can't really explain what we didn't like but I don't think we will be going there again. It has been good in the past.

I had a couple of minor complaints with this visit. Our room was not made up until after 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. Also, our keys stopped working on Sunday night and when we went to the lobby to get the problem fixed, we were grilled as to why they didn't work. Did we extend our visit? Did we put our keys next to our cell phones? Did we put our keys in the microwave? The answers were all no. The keys were kept seperate from each other and they both stopped working at the same time. It took the desk clerk all of 10 seconds to fix the keys. I felt that the grilling was unneccesary. My final complaint was on check out day. The check out time is 11:00am and we got two phone calls from the front desk prior to that asking why we hadn't checked out. We had a late flight so we were taking out time with our packing but we were still out of the room by 11:00. Again, I thought these phone calls were unneccesary and bordered on harrassment.

We usually visit Cocoa Beach on a yearly basis and have mostly stayed at the Days Inn. Unless things change with this hotel, we will continue to stay there on future visits. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We nearly missed this hotel as the dodgy guide map we had seemed to show it a little further down coast than it actually was... but on a plus note if you do find yourself lost get out the car and see how quiet and pretty the beaches to the south are. By the time we'd stopped enjoying the quiet beach near the airbase and turned round to drive back towards Cocoa it was dark and we opted for the days inn on recommendation of said dodgy guide map..... so we didn't discover until we'd checked in that it's a good block or more from the beach obstructed by other hotels.
We didn't book, just turned up but they seemed to have plenty of room. The room itself wasn't great (doorway led directly onto a little courtyard car park and there was no view at all), and it was in a seperate building over the road from reception, but it is just a minute or two walk to the beach and pier. We were lucky enough to stop the night before a rocket launch and were able to watch it from the pier for a couple of dollars each (no charge on normal days). Great location for Kennedy and a clean, functional room (if a little small and no breakfast). There was a handy IHOP over the road and it was an easy drive to Kennedy Space Centre. It had plenty of parking too. Ideal motel for a night or two, but not longer.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No View
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This Days Inn had a good location (although don't be fooled, it's not right on the beach - there's a Best Western between it and the ocean), was relatively clean, and had a friendly front desk staff. It had the best prices of the beach-side hotels/motels and overall it was a pretty decent value.

We had a couple of dislikes about the Days Inn. First, there was inadequate parking. After getting home from dinner at around 9:30, there were literally no parking spaces available. Second, the maintenance crew was rude and almost ran us over in their golf carts on more than one occasion. Also, the beds were pretty hard and uncomfortable. Finally, the hotel provided shampoo, but our bottle was already opened, and there was no conditioner provided.

If you're looking for a decent place to stay on the (relatively) cheap, this is a fine option.

• Liked — Location; value
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed June 1, 2008

My husband & I stayed there for 5 nights. The desk staff was very accomadating & pleasant to deal with. As for the room being clean it wasn't! I realize at a beach location there is a lot of traffic but I would guarantee the carpeting hadn't been cleaned in years! We really expected more. We've stayed at other Days Inn's and this is the first time we had a negative experience. In reading other review I began to wonder if we stayed at the same place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel several times. In fact, I had been there in May, 2007 with my Mom and our stay was short, so we decided to go back in January, 2008. The last stay gave me the feeling that the management must have changed and they were hoping to get a gold star for cutting back on staff and service. The heated pool was freezing. I asked at the desk about the issue and was told to use the sister hotel (Best Western) pools. They have two pools, one was overloaded with people, because it was heated and the other was empty and just as cold as the Days Inn. We were there for 4 nights and never got past the stairs of the pool. I could not get an internet connection for the majority of my stay. Was told again, go to the sister hotel, I could get a connection there. It was dark out and my Mom (74 years old) and I are walking around the sister property, not getting a connection. Some nice young man (employee) was able to get a connection on the 3rd night from the room. Our room didn't get cleaned like it has on prior visits. I was very disappointed and so was my Mom. I did get a 10% discount on departure for the poor experience on this visit. We traveled from Indiana and were very much looking forward to a nice stay and being able to enjoy the pool.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank carol f
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Pros: room (king business room) was clean and spacious with regular screen TV and
relatively a lot of channels (more than what we’ve got at other hotels); the hotel itself was clean; front desk staff was nice (not all of it though); housekeeping was prompt and always left the room very clean (leave a tip and you’ll get extra towels and extra bath soap, shampoo, etc.); the pool had a decent size and was even heated; the hotel is located within a walking distance from first and foremost the beach, then all sorts of plazas (one with a supermarket) and others with souvenir stores, my tip is to drive a few minutes and get to the major souvenir shops, where they have all sorts of discounts: you have to go to Ron Jon Shop, which is famous world-wide. There is no elevator (carrying your suitcases up the stairs might be a bit of a pain) as the hotel/motel only has 2 floors; it was however quiet. What we found to be very well thought out and efficient was the fact that the sink was separate from the shower and the rest of the items you'd usually find in a traditional bathroom.
The photos of the room that one can find on Days Inn’s website are indeed accurate.

Cons:
Before I describe the main issue (the night manager on duty was rude and uncaring), I must say that the behavior we experienced from the night staff was probably due to the fact that it all happened on a Saturday, a day that seemed extremely busy
- I have to start by saying that the thing that got to us the most was the fact that we had no working Internet OR phone for a whole day. This is what happened: we got to the hotel on a Saturday afternoon (around 2:00pm) and asked whether we could check in earlier even though check-in is not until 3:00 pm. We were told to come back in about 40 minutes so in the meanwhile we walked to the beach. Upon returning and checking in, we decided to see whether the phone was working or not, as we were thinking of calling both our families in Canada. We noticed that it wasn't working, yet decided to ignore the problem and headed to the beach. Around 7:00pm we returned to the room and noticed that the Internet had stopped working (as it had worked when we checked in) and that the phone was still not working. I therefore decided to go to the front desk and inform the manager on duty of both problems. Rudely, she replied that she will have someone sent to the room, yet that that was going to take a while (she "did not" know how long) as the person in charge of those things was apparently busy. I returned to the room and informed my fiancé of the issue, who then decided that we should go to the front desk and ask the manager on duty to please let us use the phone, so that we could call a local phone number so that we can, through that phone number, use the calling card we had, and call Canada. Rudely yet again she replied that she cannot let us use it, as calling a specific number in Melbourne (a neighboring city), phone number through which we could call Canada, would be long distance. We then decided to use another calling card, which had a free 1 -800 toll number. With an attitude, she tried to convince us that that was a long distance number too, when in fact it was not. A couple standing at the reception as well offered us their cell phone, but we, of course, politely refused. Using the laptop we had was out of the question, as it was not wireless equipped, and to begin with, the regular wired internet should have been working since my fiancé booked the business room on purpose, for the internet. We were offered 20$ off of our room, but refused. We ended up using a public phone located near the hotel entrance that of course, ate all our calling card money in less than 5 minutes. We returned to the room disappointed, and had to therefore use my cell phone (which I only use in case of emergency) and have now to pay tens of dollars in long distance charges. Sunday at noon, a new manager on duty from the front desk knocked on our door and informed us that we being given a new room, where everything worked. We therefore moved and we were relieved upon finding out that things did work. In conclusion, please stay away from room 222 (even though they mentioned that they were not going to assign it to anyone until everything was fixed). Sunday, upon walking to the beach and passing by the room we previously stayed in, we noticed that the door was open, that the mattress was half way of the bed and that the phone hook in the wall was torn out, which probably meant that someone took a look at it, whether they fixed it or not, that’s something we’re unaware of.
- I have to also mention that in the room we first stayed in (room 222) there was a certain smell in the washroom (I can’t put my finger on what it was though). My fiancé and I were hypothesizing that maybe the room was previously a smoking room, or maybe at the last hurricane, the rooms were flooded and they had not cleaned the walls or whatever properly. There were no traces of anything, neither was mold present anywhere. The second room we got smelled a lot better though.
- There was no breakfast on site, but there is an omelet station right across the parking lot and they offer a 15% discount upon presenting the room key when paying.

• Liked — Closeness to the beach, clean room
  • Disliked — Phone& internet that did not work, front desk attitude
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
tallahassee
Reviewed February 3, 2008

had a great time. not really close to the beach, but had a room facing the cocoa beach pier. if you want total quite you might not like it because you can hear music from the bar. they have other rooms where you might not hear it if such things irritate you. It didn't bother me at all....it was clean, nice employees...walking distance to anything you could need. I had a great time there would definately go back!

• Liked — could walk to anything i needed
  • Disliked — wish it was closer to beach...but close enough for me
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends