“great location a lot of potential. but NO”

Anthony's On The Beach
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
rochester ny
“great location a lot of potential. but NO”
Reviewed April 25, 2009

I read the reviews and was excited to book our 3 nights here. We got there, and yes a great location right on the beach, and a quiet area. BUT, the rooms were dirty, smelled with heavy smoke, being covered by lysol. I was a hospital janitor, and other positions which I dealth with smell and dirt, etc. I have a strong stomach, but it was too strong even for me, the child had asthma and was complaining about unable to tolerate the smell, and was worried about breathing problems. The other family member also a veteran of hospital blood and guts, and smells could not tolerate it. We are mellow folks, but the dirt, the cracks in the walls, the smell was too much even for us. The price is too much, the location great, away from everything, and once a problem arises, the once friendly hotel desk clerk, becomes an angry stumbling man. I lost the money, no refunds, and off we went disappointed and sad, the great potential exists in that place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
French Lick, Indiana
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Stayed here on recommendation of the hotel we had planned on after it was damaged in a storm. It was great. Nice clean rooms, freshly repainted and (one of my cleanliness requirements) my white socks were stll white after walking around the room in the evening. A quite place right on the beach in a more residential area. Friendly service, nice fellow guests, both couples and families. Close to NASA. Great place to relax and unwind. Will stay there again. This was a great start to a vacarion with two friends before we headed to Disney and Universal. Next time will do Disney first and then Anthony's.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank captainsavin
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Anthony's on the Beach in March 2008. It is a small mom & pop motel. It is very simple, but was more than we expected from a motel. We loved it. It is located approx 6 miles south of Ron John's, near a mostly residential area. The motel is directly on the beach. We enjoyed our stay very much. The staff was very kind and helpful. The room was cleaned daily and the property itself was very clean. We had breakfast and lunch everyday in the back patio, which overlooks the ocean. It's a breath taking view. We didn't have anything negative to say about the property or its location. We will stay here again without question.

If you want to try surfing, there is a small surf shop right next door that has surf board rentals for 20.00 for half a day. My husband TRIED to surf..lol.. he wasn't very good at it, but at least he tried. You will see surfers all over the beach. It's pretty cool to watch them.

If you're looking for something simple, clean and budget in a quiet part of the beach, this is your spot. FYI.. the motel does not have a pool. But who needs a pool when you have an entire beach and ocean in your backyard?

• Liked — The beach view was amazing
  • Disliked — The rooms overlooking the beach are smoking rooms :(
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed April 20, 2007

What a hidden gem, I didn't expect to pay so little for such a decent little place. Breakfast..no..but who cares most aren't worth anything anyway. I suggest sitting on the patio with some yogurt or fruit and listen to the waves crash.
Room was very clean and that above all things was important to me and my wife. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone who would like to stay beach front at a reasonable price.

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wasperator
gulf coaster
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Anthony's was almost what I was looking for: small, uncrowded and on the Atlantic ocean. I went on a Thursday and no one was on the beach all day. Weather was perfect, surf was up. Saw dolphins body-surfing at dawn. During the day I sat on the beach, or took a walk. I read on the deck, I watched the cable TV, made tea in the microwave, kept sandwich stuff in the fridge. To me, this was the perfect holiday. It got noisier with the weekend and kids running up and down the stairs like elephants as late as midnight, but if it had really bothered me, I would have called the office. I just turned on the a/c and went to bed.

This is not a motel for the squeamish. It is older. It looks like it needs constant maintenance. The bedspread had cigarette burns, but I didn't smell any cigarette odor. The room was freshly painted in nice greens. The couple and their family, run it. They changed towels and made the room every day. They fixed a broken blind cord immediately even though it didn't bother me.

For the location, the price was fair. PS Get the your groceries at the Publix when you get into Cocoa Beach or it's a 5 mile trip back up the beach and 5 back.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — maintenance
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tampacomm
Reading, PA
Reviewed September 2, 2006

We stayed at Anthony's four days at the end of August. It should have four more days but Ernesto came along. The manager/owner refunded the days we weren't going to be there when we felt we had to leave- even though postings clearly said no refunds.

The staff was pleasant, helpful and reserved. The cleaning lady came and went silently - swept up sand and replaced towels. The room was very small but it was clean.

There were a few minor problems that management promptly fixed (broken window lock, microwave missing turntable glass). I had requested a beachfront room on the phone for $75 a night. When we got there that is not what we were given but that too was resolved as the room we wanted was open and freshly painted. It did cost $10 more a night to be able to look at the ocean through the window which to me was worth it. I truly believe it was just miscommunication. I also got 10% off for mentioning the web site.

I prefer small lodging. If the chains take over Cocoa Beach it will never be the same. I always consider this when visiting and continue to search for the best of the small lodging that people without big bucks can afford.

For a quiet stay at the far end of the beach near Patrick Air Force Base, steps from the ocean with virtually no people there even on the weekends choose this motel. You can watch the dolphins swim by in the morning sitting on the deck.

I think the rooms that are not beachfront are bigger if you are worried about room size.

Overall a pleasant stay.

• Liked — On the beach
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask questions. Be clear about what you want
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suze25
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I needed a quiet retreat for a few days and at first, Anthony's was just about perfect. I had one of the hotel's two rooms that face the ocean and it was fantastic to have a tiki hut and surf view right outside my door (It's not mentioned on the website, but ocean-view rooms are $10 extra. It's worth it, though!) I also had a microwave and refrigerator, which was exactly what I needed since I'd brought my own food. Not all motels in the area offer that. The room was very small but its location more than made up for it.

Things were going so well I decided to stay an extra night. The room I originally had was booked, so I was moved to a parking-lot facing room. And then it was like staying in a different motel! A big group came in and took over the place... very loud and obnoxious. Suddenly there was no parking to be had and when I went to the front desk to ask for something to wipe the sand and schmutz off the table in my room, I was sent to look for the housekeeper-- who'd barged into my room BEFORE I'd checked out without knocking. And bear in mind that the parking lot is also that of a public beach access ramp, so sometimes random beach-goers come through.

The room was about what you'd expect of a one-star motel. The sheets were stained but had been washed (at least I hope so...), there was dirt on the table in the second room (first room was too small to have a table) and in both locations the air conditioning unit had two settings... freezing and "is this thing on?" The phones wouldn't dial out, and the TV in my first room conked out but once I got hold of the front desk (it took a few tries, and once someone tried to call me via the hotel line but got a busy signal) the owner came and replaced it within a few minutes.

Tips for those of you who decide to stay here: There are no wireless capabilities at Anthony's, but there is a Starbucks at the Cocoa Beach Surf Company (next to Ron Jon's) six miles north on A1A, so take your laptop there if you need to check email. And be advised that during sea turtle season, it is Florida state law that lights must be doused, so the parking lot and hotel walkways very dark. (Makes for great stargazing, though!)

Basically, if you're looking for some peace and quiet, I would recommend booking during the week during busy season. This area gets packed on the weekends in summer. Otherwise, if you're not expecting the Four Seasons, Anthony's should suit your needs fairly well.

• Stayed June 2006