“Staff made the stay”

Ormond Beach, Florida, USA
Reviewed February 11, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We checked in late on January 23rd, staying until January 26th and didn't want to leave. Part of it was the weather - which was great - but mostly it was our room and the location of the hotel. Yes, one wing of the hotel actually borders the beach right next to the Cocoa Beach Pier. It's a terrific location within walking distance to several restaurants and directly down the street from a Publix market.

Our Room
The pros:
The rooms are large, with Pergo-style flooring, a small cabinet with fridge, microwave and coffee-maker just outside a decent sized bathroom. Our balcony was a good-size with two small plastic chairs and a table provided. Our room had two queen beds, marble-top desk with two chairs on either side, as well as a good size closet and dresser and full-length mirror. Besides the balcony, the huge window looking out on the ocean was the best perk.

On a sidenote: during our stay it appeared that every room was receiving new mattresses.

The cons:
We walked on the floor in our stocking feet for about half an hour before we noticed that the bottom of our white socks had become dark gray in that time from the dingy the floor. While I do believe they sweep - since I didn't notice any dust-bunnies or sand - I doubt they wash the floors on a regular basis so we wound up wearing our flip flops whenever we were inside for extended periods.

The small fridge made a terrible whirring/clacking noise that I mentioned to the hotel staff after we had checked in. It was late in the evening so the only thing they could offer at the time was to move us, which I declined because we'd already started to unpack and my son was very tired. Since we left our DND sign on the door our entire stay the maintenance worker never had a chance to fix it so we just unplugged it when not in use.

The Hotel:
Overall the hotel is clean/nice and appears to be kept up. The pool is a decent size and there is a lovely waterfall/deck area next to it, just outside of the lobby. The breakfast offers a lot of food choices as well a delicious coffee but - like most hotels of the LQs size - at times there were no tables free at which to sit and, because it was early morning in January, the outside tables on the deck were only for those who had bundled up.

Value:
I checked the prices for this hotel daily well before our trip and watched the Oceanfront room price for the dates of our stay go from $229/night (too expensive for this hotel) down to $104 - $119/night which - to me - is more in line for a hotel of this quality and is the price I booked.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you request an OCEANFRONT room on the third floor or above as there is a dune t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy G
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a $25.00 hotel with a million$ view. The building is old but in decent shape. Our room #610 had wood laminate flooring which I am not fond off but big problem was the floor was dirty beyond belief. It was actually sticky! Wife tried to clean bathroom floor with a bath towel but that was obviously a losing exercise. I discussed the condition with the management and to their credit, they did clean the floor...not perfect but acceptable. Point is: There is no justification for the condition and unnecessary that I had to complain as it should have been kept clean as normal operation. Additionally, the HVAC unit is one of those old motel wall units that make more noise than a piston aircraft engine

Room Tip: Don't stay on 2nd floor as palm tress can obstruct ocean views.
1  Thank Keith B
A La Quinta traveler
Traverse City, Michigan, USA

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I just returned from my second visit to La Quinta Oceanfront on Cocoa Beach, and this hotel continues to amaze me. While they set an unusually high bar for other La Quinta's to meet they also hold their own against other "better" hotels. I run a convention at a 4 or 5 Star hotel (depends on which plaque you read) and La Quinta Ocenfront's meets or exceeds their level of customer service (and at a much cheaper price)! The rooms are clean, have a great view (I had an "ocean view room" both times), the staff is friendly, the breakfast is great, a great outdoor eating area, and easy access to the beach and Cocoa Beach Pier.
I am already planning to return to the area later this year and La Quinta Oceanside is at the top of my list!

1  Thank Brian J