“Very Nice Overall”

The Resort on Cocoa Beach
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Thank you TripAdvisor! I used your site a lot for our trip.

After reading so many wonderful reviews about this hotel, we decided to book our last 3 days (after Orlando) at a nice beach location. Please read all of this, as it gets better. As I do with every hotel, I stop the troops at the door, luggage and all, and check the room and especailly the beds for signs of bedbugs. Even a 5 star luxury hotel can have them. As my husband rolled his eyes, I checked things out, and unfortunately on the first room assignment I found signs of bedbugs, and actually saw a few of them. Eek! Not a lot, but one would be enough to make me ask for a room re-allocation! The hotel maintenance man was up immediately and they were very helpful in giving us a new room right away. He agreed that there were bedbugs and said they would take care of it. (I sure hope they did!). Tip: educate yourself on how to look for them.

ROOM: Our new room was similar; airy and spacious and with nice decor, albeit a bit dated, but nice enough and clean....and no sign of bedbugs! The best part....it faced the ocean and we had a fantastic double balcony (request it if you can). The kids had their own room with two twin beds and their own TV. Our bedroom had a king bed and a TV, and bathroom had a soaker/jet tub which we never even used. The kitchen had all you could need and was clean, and the main room had a plasma TV and was nice! Publix was 2 stop lights away groceries.

RESTAURANT: We looked forward to dinner in the hotel's mexican restaurant, Azteca, and it was mediocre at best. My son's soft tacos were dry and tasteless. Maybe we hit it on a bad night though. They have 2 for 1 margaritas between 4 and 6, but we just missed it. Staff was nice and friendly.

THE POOL- wonderful! nice temperature and clean. Sunday, there was live music by the pool. Loved it! Pool was not on ocean side of hotel, but that turned out better as we had full sun all day. Kids loved the centre waterfall to sit under & pool volleyball. You have to use your room key to borrow a ball for the pool. Lots of loungers available, but I can imagine during a busy time you would have to get there early. It's not an overly huge pool. Good shallow areas for the little tots. The splash pad was broken when we were there, but not a big deal. The day we left, it was working again. The hot tub was up the stairs near pool area, and was a bit small and needed a cleaning. We brought a cooler down to the pool with water/juice etc. and had snacks at a table.

TIKI BAR- was nice to have there, and drinks were yummy. Our kids loved the kids pina coloda's, but at $4 each, they only had a couple. They were more than the beer! The bartender could have been a bit friendlier. Something for mgmt. to attend to. Also, there were signs in several places, on tip jugs and behind the bar, indicating that "bartenders work for below minimum wage and rely on tips, so please remember to tip". I worked in the bar/rest. service area for years, and this would be unacceptable in any establishment I worked at. There are better ways to encourage tipping. Simply having a tip jar with a happy faced note saying "thank you for your tips" rather than a long, drawn out plea would have been sufficient. Not very classy for such a nice hotel.

BASKETBALL/TENNIS: Courts were under construction, getting a new fence, but looked very nice. New surface and paint.

FITNESS ROOM: Very nice, with good equipment. Guests also have access to the local Cocoa Beach Health and Fitness Club if they want (free). Inquire at desk.

STAFF: The front desk staff were great, and very professional. Always very accommodating. We especially liked Tracey and Dave who worked at the Information/Events Desk. Tracey also ran the bingo by the pool, which was fun. Dave gives an introductory meeting on Mondays at 9am to educate you about the resort and events. It truly IS NOT a sales presentation and was informative. Recommended.
However, if you go to get your free welcome gift from another gent. across the hall from the movie theatre (where the meeting was), they DO want to set up a time to discuss a Time Share meeting for the Ron Jon Cape Caribe. They offered free passes to the "waterpark" at Cape Caribe. No thanks, we were happy at our pool and the ocean.

KIDS PLAYROOM: My 7 yr old liked it and had fun doing a Christmas craft with Tracey.

GATOR SHOW: This was awesome and very personal. Offered free at the resort, they had "Jungle Jim" from local Jungle Adventures come to do a show featuring snakes, lizards, baby alligators and a larger (3-4 ft) alligator. It was such a great learning experience for all and we took some great pictures of our kids holding the gator and snake afterwards. Thanks Jim!

MOVIE THEATRE: Never went, and never really saw anyone in there. It was cool though and had about 50 seats. All the kid-appropriate movies were during the day, and weather was nice, so we were outside. Perhaps if there was a family movie after dinner, we would have all gone together.

COCOA BEACH AREA: While waiting for our room to be ready, (we were early) we went to a place called Coconuts on the Beach. What a great place! My husband and I would love to go there again (without the kiddies!). Music on the patio, right on the beach where you can people watch, cool motor bikes, friendly staff and great drinks. Lots of cool places on the beach. Don't forget to visit the Ron Jon surf shop. Hit the clearance/sale racks first!

OTHER STUFF TO DO:One night we drove to Cape Canaveral and went to a restaurant called Grill's, and the food was fantastic, especially the crab legs. It was cool watching the boats and the fishermen bring in their catch and "slice and dice" right there. My kids (and me too) have never seen fish that big. Mahi mahi, redfish, triggerfish, amberjacks...we learned a lot. They kind of liked the whole grossness of the fish carcasses being thrown to the pelicans!
Another night, we drove to the historical Cocoa Village (about 15 min away from hotel). The streets were lit up for Christmas, and it was an adorable little town with nice boutique stores (but most were closed after 6 on a Tues). Suggest to check this before you go. Would have liked to see the magic store and the toy store. We had homemade ice cream at a table outside. There is also a mall and a TJ Maxx on the 520 going to Cocoa Village. Dave at the info desk will tell you what you need to know. There are lots of money saving coupons there too.

Overall, a fantastic 3 nights, 4 days at Cocoa beach. The activity schedule is full of options for anyone. Or, you can just lay on that beautiful white sand and relax all day if you want. We would definitely go back here again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank CoolCanucks44
There are newer reviews for The Resort on Cocoa Beach

Reviewed December 7, 2009

We stayed here for a week with my brother, who has a timeshare and selected this spot. Our room was on the 4th floor, overlooking the ocean, and was great. The beach is wonderful here; great for shelling or just relaxing. The pool area is very nice and all staff were very helpful.

We ate a couple of times at the Mexican restaurant on premises--great food and awesome Margaritas! The only negative was that our room, being the second bedroom, was designed for kids and my hubby and I had to sleep in two twin beds. The wallpaper in the 2nd bathroom left something to be desired, but overall the decor was fine and had a beachy feel to it.

Would definitely stay here again if back in this area. Recommended things to do: RonJon surf shop (just to say you've been), the Pier (some good restaurants here), Cape Kennedy, and one of the river cruises. Found a great place to buy fresh seafood in Melbourne: Direct Seafood Outlet. Go get the wahoo (local fish) and some shrimp and cook it in your room. Yum. They have every kind of seafood imaginable, and sushi-grade fish also.

Had some of the best seafood in Cocoa Beach that we've ever had in Florida. Even my brother agreed, and he LIVES in Tampa!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank purplehatartist
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Decided to go to Cocoa beach last minute from Orlando so looked on TripAdvisor for some ideas where to stay. Since this turned up #2 and was right on the beach AND we got it for an amazing rate we went for it. Didn't disappoint. Nothing fancy but you can't beat the location and price. Beautiful ocean view from our room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank venturagirl
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My wife and 2 friends used the 2 bedroom suite via RCI, bed was very comfortable. Other friends rented another identical room. Only a few rooms have good views of the beach which is the only thing bad I could mention. The resort is clean, has a great mexican restraurant, pool side bar friendly service and is on the beach which is great for walking. We stayed for 3 days before taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral. Recommend the Grasshopper Air Boat ride (15 minute drive). Also if you visit the Kennedy Center spend the extra money for the better tour it's worth the extra $20.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank eggegm
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed here last week for three nights, based upon the positive reviews. Our primary objective was relaxation and sun after doing Disney earlier in the week. I agree with other reviewers that this may very well be the nicest place in Cocoa Beach, but that doesn't necessarily make it a fantastic resort. It was functional, but not the least bit "resort-like". Like much of this town, the 'resort' was a somewhat tired and dated. The rooms and common areas of the resort felt cheap/tacky and are in need of updating, in our opinion. Our ocean front room on the third floor was $199(inc taxes). It was spacious and we had a lovely view of the ocean. The pool is also quite nice and my children did enjoy swimming here.

As I've said, it met our needs, but we certainly weren't overwhelmed by the experience. If you are set on Cocoa Beach, this is probably the place to stay. If you want a higher-end, 4-5 star resort destination, I'd seek another locale.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank IndianaPartyof5
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We exchanged here from our home resort on the west coast of florida. After a 2 day drive from Delaware, we checked into our condo at 2pm on a Saturday. We were offered a room on the 6th floor that was ready now, or a room on the 4th floor that would be ready by 4pm. We chose the 6th floor based on it being available and at the end of the building (although, I wish we would have known prior: you can actually check in as early as 10am to reserve your room. If we return, we would do that, requesting a double balcony, ocean front).
The condo was just like the pics. We were on the 6th floor (there are 8 floors). We were at the end of the resort with a view of the River (sunset) and the beach (sunrise). We also had a great view of the rocket launch pads at Cape Canaveral (too bad we missed it by a day). We had 2 adults, and 2 children (3 yrs and 11 mo boys). We were very comfortable here for the week once I did some quick baby proofing. Our little guy learned to walk here...so we have some great memories!!
We brought some beach towel, but they aren't necessary --there are 6 pool towel in your unit that you can exchange daily. You also can exchange any/all of the linens in the condo on a daily basis.
Check in --easy! That smell of coconut oil...I can still smell it!
Activities Desk -- helpful! I took the baby down to the Monday briefing (not a sales presentation). We won 2 tickets to the Brevard Zoo (which we had plans of attending prior to winning) from just sitting and listening for a little while.
Children's Play Area -- Nice climber for the kids inside. Kid's activity guide was nice to have, but activities were planned at bad times for my oldest childs nap times/while we had other plans. Some free activities/some pay per person.
Pool --nice. The resort was supposedly full when we were there. But you wouldn't know it from the pool/beach. There is a waterfall that the kids liked to play around. My sons loved the fountains that sprayed up from the ground. Probably needs a little rehab as my baby was able to pull up pieces of the rubber while he was crawling around.
Pool Bar - open from about 11a-5pm I believe. We ordered lunch out here for 2 of our days there. Burgers and fries were about $8 for a nice amount. A frozen drink was about $6. My husband and I were pleased with the portions of the food and the taste of the drinks.
Beach -- a little walk from the back door of the condo through the marsh on a waking path. We brought all of our stuff out there on the baby's jogging stroller - quite the workout!
Location -- great. We loved the amenities and location. Beachside. Close to a Publix (2 blocks). We ate at a great little spot for breakfast that I wish we had visited sooner - Simply Delicious (see other review). Other good suggestions from the activities staff on activities and food.
There is a mexican restaurant on site, but we didn't eat there during our stay (however, the pool food WAS delivered by staff from the restaurant according to the dress of the server).
Free WiFi was very helpful to stay in touch with friends and work at home.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Nolenurse2000
Reviewed September 6, 2009

For the money we paid it was an unbelievable view of the ocean and a very clean room. It is right on the beach with a pool that is fun for the whole family. We stayed there once so far and would love to come back again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family