“Overzealous legal department?”

Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The room is well equipped with good beds, TV’s, fridge, microwave, desk and a small but usable lounge doubling as a second bedroom. It was clean enough but not perfect. Breakfast is a self-service buffet of pre-prepared items and is surprisingly good. The pool is outdoor but sheltered by being under part of the hotel and is functional rather than special.

The staff are friendly and efficient and the reception area is well laid out to fit in a waiting area, breakfast area and reception surrounding an impressive fountain without looking overly cramped.

The location is midway between Cocoa Beach to the east (very near the disappointing Cocoa Beach Pier) and the splendid Intracoastal Waterway to the west, both being within easy walking distance. An excellent Publix is virtually next door. There is a laundry, gym, vending machines for sodas, snacks and ice and wifi is free although it failed during our stay.

Only two gripes. Noise from the lift, air conditioning and fridge effected sleep. And check in is a little like hiring a car where you have to initial five different items and then sign. I guess there are still some people who smoke in non-smoking rooms or cause damage etc and its reasonable they are expected to bear responsibility but do initials against each item really make any difference to redress? Other chains seem to cope without this imposition and it merely suggests to me that they do suffer problems with unruly people and have an overzealous legal department.

As a relatively low cost alternative, this hotel does all the basics well and adds some nice touches (bottle of water on arrival, plastic cutlery provided, good collection of bathroom items). Whilst it’s not a spectacular hotel, it was a good choice.

Room Tip: High but away from the lifts
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ItsJustMyOpinion

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very bad experience. I attempted to check in at 1:45pm with my 3 year old son after driving 800 miles. I gave my name and politely asked and hoped that our room would be ready. The response was a snarl, and I was told rooms are not available until 3pm, no matter who you are. Numerous other guests hanging out in the parking lot while waiting for their rooms had the same experience with this clerk that I did.

I would have cancelled the reservation, but other family members were staying across the street and relatives lived in a condo 2 block away. I returned at 2:57pm to inquire about the status of our room, the agent did not acknowledge me until exactly 3pm. Her response was "I was just getting ready to call you, we have your room ready early!"

Room 402 was filthy. The bathroom and tub area smelled of mold so badly it was unusable. Water had clearly been leaking into the walls behind the shower panels, because the walls were weak and could be pushed in with minimal force. The area was filled with bright pink mold. There are ceiling vent fans in the closet area that run 24/7. The intakes at that fan and the one in the bathroom were clogged with dust.

I thought it would be best to run the AC unit at full cold and it would ventilate and dry the room out. This was a mistake, as every time the unit started, it spewed mold and mildew smell all over the bed area. My son and I both developed breathing problems the second day of our stay that lasted for 5 days. The hotel was supposedly "sold out" and there were no rooms to move to.

The carpets in the room and hallways are dated, stained, and filthy.

Parking is terrible. If you arrive after 6pm, you have the spots near shady and dimly streets. The lot was full and had no place to park one night.

The bedroom door was broken and could not be latched shut. The microwave had a mismatched glass tray which tipped and spilled the milk I was warming for my son.

Renovations done to the rooms were done cheaply and with low skill labor. They look like crap. Like Grandma said...you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop.

Holiday Inn needs to find an open parcel and build a new hotel in this area. The cruise ship terminal and Port Canaveral are just starting to get huge.

This place is not up to IHG standards and should not have the franchise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank acey2000
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel is located a very quick walk from the beach, pier, and is near shopping and restaurants. I parked my car at check in and didnt need it until check out the next day because everything I needed was within walking distance.

At check in the staff was super nice and made me feel like an old friend returning for a visit even though I have never been there before. The rooms were clean and fresh with good WIFI speed. I chose this hotel because of its location as it related to my business trip and I could'nt have made a better choice.

Good Job HI Express!

Room Tip: I had a room that faced the back of the hotel. I would think that a front facing room would have a p...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DUpton
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise. I loved that this hotel was located next to a Publix grocery store. We were able to purchase some last minute items for our cruise such as soda, snacks ect. Also loved that we were within walking distance to the beach. We would have loved to have enjoyed the beach but it was raining, windy and cold. For supper we walked to Beef O Brady's which is right next to Publix. Very good food, lots to choose from! In the morning we walked to Dunkin Donuts but some of our group did enjoy the hotel's continental breakfast. Our hotel room was at the end of the hallway and was very quiet! The bed was super comfy and I loved the bedding. The rooms were all a nice size and had nice amenities. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. I would definitely return to this hotel if we were in the area again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gymstx
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on Wed without a reservation and was told the hotel was fully booked. We had Friday reservations for stay and cruise. Jade the Front desk manager offered to check for cancellations and was able to find my my wife and I a great room. We have stayed at this hotel several times before and always had a good experience but I believe the it gets better each time. They provide great customer service and the facility is well maintained. We would not consider staying anywhere else in Cocoa Beach. The breakfast area is a little small but that is something we know to plan around

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lennie b
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a typical Holiday Inn with normal inn amenities. We picked this one as it offered the park & cruise choice. Close to the cruse terminal, within walking distance of places to eat, as well as an opportunity to walk the beach if we desired. As always, a very clean hotel, although the parking is limited. Publix grocery is right next door, so we were able to pick up some necessities. We were upgraded to a suite, which was very nice. As always, Holiday Inn was a great choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel as we were visiting the Kennedy space centre.
The room was fine. Initially we had a large room on the ground floor but it was next to the pool machinery which runs 24 hours and is very noisy. Reception moved us to the third floor which was a lot quieter.
My biggest complaint is the quality of the breakfast. It is self service with the food being placed on the counter opposite the reception desk. On the first day we discovered mouldy bagels. The server removed them and said they had come fresh from a packet. The next day we had an omelette. The filling looked like a mix of sauce and diced ham and tasted as if they came out of a frozen packet.
The third morning I spotted another mouldy bagel and the omelettes looked like yesterday's offering put under a grill to re-heat them.
There are peeled boiled eggs in the fridge. I would not try them as you have no idea how long they had been there and how often they had been handled. Why cat they leave the shell on so they are more hygienic.
I would not stay in any holiday inn express again, even tho I am a priority club member. Next time I will stick to Hilton or Marriott's.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dustymiller44
jadehiecb, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. Your feedback on the breakfast is very important to us, and helps us to improve the quality of the items we offer, and the service we give. I am pleased to hear that our team members were able to relocate you to a room that was quieter for your stay. I hope that if you find yourself back in Cocoa Beach, that you would give us an opportunity to make your next stay right.