“Excellent!”
Review of Florida Surf Lessons - CLOSED

Florida Surf Lessons
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My cousin and I purchased one-on-one surf lessons at Florida Surf Lessons through our Great American Days gift certificate. As first timers, we didn't know what to expect and were very pleasantly surprised. Erica, our instructor, was patient and knowledgeable, helping both of us get up successfully! We were pleased at how quickly we were able to start practicing in the water after a bit of beach tutorials. If you have the option, definitely choose something that is 2+ hours – we had a 2.5 hour lesson and it was the perfect amount of time.

While I can't speak for experienced surfers, this is the perfect activity for first timers like us.

A few notes: The day really dictates what kind of waves you’re going to get; we got small waves and very little current while others have apparently gotten large waves and a huge current. Check the weather before you go so you know what to expect. Also, you may want to wear a long sleeved water shirt and long shorts so the board doesn’t scratch you up. And make sure you lather the sunscreen on the back of your body!

1  Thank Rachel E

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our family summer vacation in Cocoa beach was excellent due to the fantastic surf lessons we had. We scheduled surf lessons with Wave Masters. The entire experience was easy and extremely professional. The scheduling was quick and John worked with us to fit our schedule throughout our stay. He came to our condo with all the equipment needed to surf which made it very convenient for us. None of us had ever surfed and after the first lesson, all of us got up! My three teenage boys thought it was a blast and would do it again. Our last day we had the extra bonus of surfing with rays, what a special day! John was very professional and enthusiastic about what he does, you can tell he loves the sport of surfing which is very catching. He is also prompt and has many years of experience that made it easy for him to correct our mistakes so all of us were successful.

I highly recommend wave masters if you are thinking of trying to surf.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

It was our first time surfing and all four of us got on within a few tries. Our instructor was great! He made sure we had a great time and put us on as many waves as he could find. We did the 2 1/2 hour course and I would recommend that you don't book it for any less. It went by really fast. Wear long shorts and t-shirt as you will get a rash from the surf board without them. Overall really satisfied and would do it again.

1  Thank mcrocque
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Uve got to b joking. Dont u have to lern how to surf first to give instructions? Give it up and leave it to the people that actually surf. Take your site down its awful. Stick to what you know. Stop being a cardboard cut out.

1  Thank Jeff B
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2011

While on a business trip in Florida, I scheduled a surf lesson with Florida Surf Lessons. It was a bucket list type goal. I actually scheduled this about three months in advance. The staff was very professional. My surf teacher was about the same age as my children, which I guess makes sense. Despite his youth, he was very mature and easygoing. He even went back to the surf shop to pick up a rashguard for me, seeing that I wasn't wearing that type of protection. We practiced the pop-up a while on the beach and talked about the ocean--rip currents, protecting myself when I came off the board in the water, and so on. In fact, about half of our lesson was spent in discussing and studying the water, the waves, the current, etc. This was useful, as I am from Ohio and have no experience "reading" the ocean. He took me to a great surf location. There actually was surf--about two feet--and about a dozen real surfers out there riding the waves. He moved me a ways down the beach, away from the other surfers, which I was appreciative. It was fun to know I was surfing in the same waves as real surfers, but as a newbie, I was glad to be situated out of the way. I didn't need to worry about falling in someone else's way or being a nuisance to the other surfers, etc. My guide saw to it that I got on several waves, none of which I could actually ride, which I think was more a function of my being in my mid-fifties than anything else. I did actually get on waves and stand up, but I went head over heels pretty quickly. All in all, it was a great day of riding waves. One more thing, the equipment was perfect. He had me on a big gun, about an 11 foot or so foam board. The board was very stable and softer than the fiberglass, so in case I hit the board in a fall, it would be a cushioned blow. It was really the perfect beginner board. I am going back this October to try again at Cocoa Beach. Florida Surf Lessons has multiple locations in Florida. I surfed the Cocoa Beach location, which, like I say, had great waves and a nice point break for the real surfers and a nice beach break, further down away from the pier, for beginners like me. I would recommend this company for their professionalism, excellent equipment, and overall good vibe projected by my trainer.

3  Thank JohnLima_Ohio