“Captain J Rest.”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went exactly yesterday. After spending all day at the beach and eating sandwiches and chips we we ready for a nice meal. Initially, we were not going there. but the music drew me in. on the top deck there was a guy playing a steel drum and since my daughter knows how to play them she wanted to go see what kind of drum he had, etc. etc.
We sat on the deck in the hopes we can see the ocean. however, the trees, etc. are so tall that the view to the ocean is minimal. :( someone needs to trim them.
the waitress was great. the presentation of the food was pretty good too.
I ordered the grill shrimp, rice pilaf and vegetables. it was hot, fresh, however, it could have used more seasoning. the shimp did not looked grilled, it looked boiled.
my husband ordered the steak fajitas and everything look good. he was pleased.
my daughter ordered the surf and turf (steak and crab legs), she was happy with it too.
we had issues with flies. i was eating with one hand and with the other one making sure the flies did not get on our food. perhaps, they need to invest on a bug zapper, not sure of the exact name. LOL
The steel drum guy was very friendly and let my daughter play his steel drum, even talk to her about them, etc.
overall a good experience. will definetely go back.

my husband ordered the steak

There are newer reviews for Captain J’s Seafood Steak, Bar & Grill

Reviewed July 26, 2012

It was great, preparation took a little long, but over all a great experience. Very casual as it's right on the beach.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place is in a good location although not actually beach front. There is a public parking lot and then a public beach access so it sits quite far back from the ocean. The upstairs is a decent view but the patio on the lower level looks into the aforementioned parking lot.
Service was decent. Server recommended the crab cakes and they were delicious! The salad was fresh and variety of veggies in it. The baked potato was slightly undercooked but nothing I couldn't eat. $16.99 didn't seem bad for two huge crab cakes and two sides. Down side? The place seems dirty. Of course you expect some dirt as it faces the ocean and is very open-air, but the tables and chairs could have been cleaner. This is my first visit to Cocoa Beach and I wanted to eat outdoors so I chose this place. Have no idea what the rest of the menu is like, but if you have the crab cakes you won't be sorry.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Not worth the high prices... Nice beach atmosphere with 2 man band though ... Not impressed with the food at all.. Expected much more with descriptions on menu... Dry mahi mahi and stuffed flounder

1  Thank Faceinthecrowd66
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My daughter wanted to take her daughter to the beach and I had no time to pre-plan any meal/restaurant options. So when we parked in Shepard's Park and saw this restaurant and "gator tail" on the marquee we knew we would have lunch. Spent almost an hour on the beach and came into the restaurant from the patio entrance. Cool and comfortable. Server took our drink orders immediately and in a very short time we were refreshed. My daughter and her mother-in-law ordered salads. Kate & I decided to share the Seafood Sampler and Peggy had a bowl of NE clam chower. Salads were huge! Fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onions. Dressing nicely on the side. Seafood Sampler had plenty to share with granddaughter eating a few pieces. Yes, the clam strips were previously frozen, as well as the shrimp. But the fish nuggets were DELICIOUS!! Tasty and crunchy on the outside, soft, flavorful inside. Calamari was good too. Only two scallops..daughter had one, granddaughter had the other. She did like hers with alot of tartar sauce...but she's a 2 yr old!
Beer was cold, my daughter had no complaints about the pina colada.

Did have to wait for the check and gettiing it paid. But the restaurant allowed Kate's mother-in-law to sit on their patio while we took Aliza back to the beach. She sat in the shade with a nice breeze from the ocean, sipping water. She was delighted!!

Patio and downstairs rooms are fully wheelchair accessible with good room for manueverability (at least at lunch)

Con: Stage did have a lot of "stuff" on it, some of which did not look too clean, but these items had nothing to do with the food or food handling.