“Cool Little Place!”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steakhouse
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had heard of this place from a relative so we headed for the day to Cocoa area when we were in Orlando Florida. This was about a 60 minute drive and from the outside it looks like nothing! It is 4 old railway carriages sitting in a field! From the outside it looks like it is about to fall down!!

Before we traveled we googled it and saw a few bad City Hygiene Inspection reports specifically that there were no 'Sneeze Guards' on the Salad Bar. Upon entering the restaurant we were pleased to see they had acted on that recommendation and although we did not we could have sneezed away and not affected the salad!!!

We were seated right beside the drinks servery which was weird as the place was empty. This resulted in constant waiter congregation and chit chat as the place was not busy. This was bad. I guess we could have asked to be moved but we did not. The noise of the drinks machine letting off gas regularly was very loud!!!!

However the food was amazing. Probably the BEST STEAK we have had since coming to the USA on holiday. Price was reasonable as well and the salad was ok - not the best salad bar but it was nice...

If you are thinking about this place then give it a try - we were not disappointed!

3  Thank skinkaid

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed one night close by the Interstate just a mile away & took a drive to see what we could find for dinner. The area is pretty much commercial & as we drove along we noticed the old railway carriages & to be honest, thought the setting looked a little down trodden. As we were not wanting to drive far we decided to do a U turn & headed back. The cars in the lot both in terms of quantity & quality quickly made us realise that the locals knew a good spot so in we drove. We were greeted by some old British Rail signage outside of the buildings & once inside we were shown to our table in one of the old carriages.
The waiting staff were great & we were quickly introduced to the superb salad & soup bar (deserts as well) while are steak & strimp main dishes were prepared.
All of the food was crispy fresh & I would suggest very locally sourced & a couple of glasses of wine rounded off a meal for two at under $30!!!
For anyone staying up at the HI Express by the I95 then this is the place for dinner & if you are a local then you know the deal!!
Great independent dining experience....

4  Thank HantsPhil
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The place needs a through cleaning. It smells. The food arrived before we got back from the salad bar. The restaurant need an update in decor.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

It claims to be a Nebraska steakhouse. I'm not sure what, how, or why a Nebraska steakhouse should end up in the Cocoa Beach area of Florida but there it is, just off King Street in what is technically Rockledge, Florida. I was too polite to satisfy my curiosity. In any case, it's a funky, funny little place. From the front, it you see two railroad dining cars side by side (double-wide) butted up against a kind of rocky, Flintstones "station" with parking and entrance in the rear. Though the parking lot isn't paved, one look at all the cars and you know, hey, this place can't be as bad as it looks.

One step inside and you know for certain it ain't no cookie-cutter chain meat eatery. Part of the place has a fairly authentic railroad theme while the other half is a darkly paneled rural diner with a small ,vacant, drinking bar and homemade salad bar like salad bars used to be when in vogue thirty or forty years ago. The menu says there are 81 items (I'll took their word for it). There was also a single soup and some "desserty" puddings and fruit offerings too. Lettuce was both iceburg and romaine (a touch of class). The ranch dressing tasted homemade, quite creamy, and rich with authentic buttermilk flavor. Signs posted reminded guests that grandpa and grandma had certain standards (use the tongs, don't carry your soup while getting your salad, and clean up your plate or there would be a $2.00 fine).

The menu featured fish, chicken, steaks, prime rib, and chops in various sizes and portions to fit every appetite. In reading other reviews, the prime rib was raved about so my wife and I both tried that. She was pleased with hers and, though I'm no great fan of prime rib, mine was as good as any I'd ever had before--tender, juicy, and cooked to order (medium-well). The salad bar was included with the meal as was a baked potato (no breads). The sour cream on my baked potato tasted strange (not sure why, maybe it was sour).

I always check out the restrooms at restaurants I review. Here they were small (knock and lock) but not unisex. In fact, I saw TWO separate men's rooms. Both were clean but a little worn from use. I didn't see any desserts on the menu so I hit the salad bar a second time for my sweets. I saw bread pudding and Waldorf salad (both good), but otherwise, straight from the can puddings.

The service was friendly, the servers t-shirted and blue-jeaned (the Nebraska touch, I suppose). I'm not sure if we saw grandma or grandpa but there were a couple likely candidates. It was kind of a redneck place, rather than a refuge for the "beautiful" people. In fact, most of us were downright homely, the clientele rather senior and overweight. We fit right in. I had the feeling this was a place the locals go to get away from the tourists. We were tourists so they aren't entirely successful in that regard.

Prices were surprisingly reasonable. We had one of a half-dozen "early-bird" specials (before 7:30 p.m.). Our entrees were $11.95 each, the total about $30 including tax and tip. They're also open for lunch (eleven a.m. to four p.m.) Just inside the entrance was a cubbyhole gift shop with cutesy little knicknacks and, strangey, a vicious combination knife/brass knuckles in the showcase (apparently for the redneck crowd).

Although I'd have no reason not to, I doubt if we'd go back. It was a fun and funky place to visit but I don't think I'd want to live there.

2  Thank Jim_Lane
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I had heard about this place and we are glad that we went. We were lucky as the crowd had thinned out and were seated immedately. Our server arrived (Shortie) who turned out to be very attentive during the whole time we were there. Looking over the menu we were both very impressed with the prices, which included a side and all you can eat salad bar. We were informed to take all you want, but eat all you take from the salad bar, which was all fresh, cold and a nice assortment of dressings. We both had prime rib, my wife the 1/2 cut and I had the full cut. The prime rib was cooked the way we ordered it and flavor was excellent. We have not seen a better value for what we had. Even though we live in Orlando would we go back? You better believe it.