“Out of date”

Description: Steakhouse
Merritt Island
“Out of date”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The place needs a through cleaning. It smells. The food arrived before we got back from the salad bar. The restaurant need an update in decor.

Vincent, Ohio
“A Funky, Funny Little Place”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

It claims to be a Nebraska steakhouse. I'm not sure what, how, or why a Nebraska steakhouse should end up in the Cocoa Beach area of Florida but there it is, just off King Street in what is technically Rockledge, Florida. I was too polite to satisfy my curiosity. In any case, it's a funky, funny little place. From the front, it you see two railroad dining cars side by side (double-wide) butted up against a kind of rocky, Flintstones "station" with parking and entrance in the rear. Though the parking lot isn't paved, one look at all the cars and you know, hey, this place can't be as bad as it looks.

One step inside and you know for certain it ain't no cookie-cutter chain meat eatery. Part of the place has a fairly authentic railroad theme while the other half is a darkly paneled rural diner with a small ,vacant, drinking bar and homemade salad bar like salad bars used to be when in vogue thirty or forty years ago. The menu says there are 81 items (I'll took their word for it). There was also a single soup and some "desserty" puddings and fruit offerings too. Lettuce was both iceburg and romaine (a touch of class). The ranch dressing tasted homemade, quite creamy, and rich with authentic buttermilk flavor. Signs posted reminded guests that grandpa and grandma had certain standards (use the tongs, don't carry your soup while getting your salad, and clean up your plate or there would be a $2.00 fine).

The menu featured fish, chicken, steaks, prime rib, and chops in various sizes and portions to fit every appetite. In reading other reviews, the prime rib was raved about so my wife and I both tried that. She was pleased with hers and, though I'm no great fan of prime rib, mine was as good as any I'd ever had before--tender, juicy, and cooked to order (medium-well). The salad bar was included with the meal as was a baked potato (no breads). The sour cream on my baked potato tasted strange (not sure why, maybe it was sour).

I always check out the restrooms at restaurants I review. Here they were small (knock and lock) but not unisex. In fact, I saw TWO separate men's rooms. Both were clean but a little worn from use. I didn't see any desserts on the menu so I hit the salad bar a second time for my sweets. I saw bread pudding and Waldorf salad (both good), but otherwise, straight from the can puddings.

The service was friendly, the servers t-shirted and blue-jeaned (the Nebraska touch, I suppose). I'm not sure if we saw grandma or grandpa but there were a couple likely candidates. It was kind of a redneck place, rather than a refuge for the "beautiful" people. In fact, most of us were downright homely, the clientele rather senior and overweight. We fit right in. I had the feeling this was a place the locals go to get away from the tourists. We were tourists so they aren't entirely successful in that regard.

Prices were surprisingly reasonable. We had one of a half-dozen "early-bird" specials (before 7:30 p.m.). Our entrees were $11.95 each, the total about $30 including tax and tip. They're also open for lunch (eleven a.m. to four p.m.) Just inside the entrance was a cubbyhole gift shop with cutesy little knicknacks and, strangey, a vicious combination knife/brass knuckles in the showcase (apparently for the redneck crowd).

Although I'd have no reason not to, I doubt if we'd go back. It was a fun and funky place to visit but I don't think I'd want to live there.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Jim_Lane
Orlando, Florida
“I would eat there again!!!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I had heard about this place and we are glad that we went. We were lucky as the crowd had thinned out and were seated immedately. Our server arrived (Shortie) who turned out to be very attentive during the whole time we were there. Looking over the menu we were both very impressed with the prices, which included a side and all you can eat salad bar. We were informed to take all you want, but eat all you take from the salad bar, which was all fresh, cold and a nice assortment of dressings. We both had prime rib, my wife the 1/2 cut and I had the full cut. The prime rib was cooked the way we ordered it and flavor was excellent. We have not seen a better value for what we had. Even though we live in Orlando would we go back? You better believe it.

• Visited March 2012
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Beware!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Propriotor(s) did NOT handle my unfortunate situation well at all. The sirloin I ordered was undercooked and when I sent it back to grill some more, it was unfortunately tough.
I decided to pass on this meal completely and was charged $8.95 for a salad bar that was included with this $12.95 entree. My point is that "Grandpa" and his wife did not handle this situation well at all. Shame on them after being in the business for 31 years as they told me, I would think they should know better than pissing off a customer with a completely valid issue.

Visited March 2012
Titusville, Florida
“Fantastic prime rib”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This restaurant is always good. This time I got the the regular cut prime rib and it was fantastic. Salad bar was nice and full and fresh. Service was outstanding even with a brief wait to be seated. Their prime rib is one of the best in the area.

• Visited February 2012