“Service with a Smile”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We chose The Black Tulip to celebrate our sister's birthday as it was highly recommended. There were lots of interesting and delicious choices. We were there early enough for Happy Hour when the drinks are half price. My Double Roasted Duck was delicious. My husband had the Stuffed Grouper which was equally a hit. They even gave my sister a generous slice of cheesecake for her birthday. We are planning another outing there soon,

2  Thank billinda55

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We were celebrating an upcoming birthday & were looking for a special restaurant. It had been several years since I visited the Black Tulip & I decided to choose that for our celebration. After reading some negative online reviews, I was getting discouraged but we decide to go ahead with a lunch booking. We discovered, however, that it is no longer opened for lunch so we switched the reservation to dinner at 6 PM on a Friday night. The owner, Daniel Colzani, says that he is concentrating on his lunch catering business instead. The surprised honoree loved our choice. The pretty building has a charming mural on its façade that always draws my attention when I pass it.

Luckily we spotted a parking space directly across the street. The hostess showed us to an inside room so that we could all sit around a large round table. The room looked lovely with black or white tablecloths and contrasting cloth napkins on the tables. Each table was decorated with a vase of artificial but very festive red tulips perhaps originally purchased for romantic Valentine‘s Day Dinners. They contrasted nicely with the black & white motif. Black tulle draped from the high ceilings and around the decorated entrance. Spanish-themed paintings graced the pale yellow walls. The room looked charming & bright with several white painted French doors looking out on the outside patio. There, tables were decorated in black cloths with small flower arrangements on each table - it looked inviting. One of the lovely tables outside was already occupied. It was a perfect night to dine alfresco. Several patrons enjoyed cocktails at the bright, comfortable mirrored bar near where we sat. Since it was a Friday night, I hoped that the black piano would be played but Brandi, our waitress said that the last time that someone played it was on Valentine’s Day - disappointing for us.

There weren’t as many diners as we expected on a Friday Night especially since the Playhouse was having a show. Perhaps the economy or the negative reviews were the cause. A very large party arrived before we departed and were seated in the first room. That room was darker-looking with lovely paintings and some tree trunks in the floor. I meant to inquire about them but forgot. Several other tables were occupied in our room also. We were quickly served our water & the waitress took our drink orders forgetting to tell us that it was Happy Hour until one of our group inquired about the several patrons sitting at the bar. The server was new, she explained and later reported that our carafe of wine would count for Happy Hour pricing. All was well. Service throughout was what we expected from this slightly upscale establishment - reserved, polite yet non intimidating.

The 18 Entrees on the menu ranged from $14 (Tilapia Florentine) - $26 (Surf-N-Turf.) All Entrees include a House Salad, Vegetables and Starch. There is a $6 sharing fee which includes the salad, vegetable & starch. The birthday honoree ordered Baked Stuffed Shrimp $20.95. It looked yummy and was enjoyed by our guest of honor. Two of us had Tulip Double Roast Duckling $23.95. Another wanted to try Veal Oscar $24.95 while the fifth diner had Baked Stuffed Grouper $22.95. All of us said that the dishes were wonderful. Brandi said that the Duckling was her favorite and was very popular. The large portion of Duckling arrived in a semi sweet red wine pear sauce with cooked pear segments and cashews - delightful. I was only able to eat half of it. Accompanying the duckling were shredded cooked red cabbage, crispy slender green beans & boiled potatoes. A couple of minutes later, the Veal Oscar & Grouper were served. The Veal was topped with blue crabmeat, fresh asparagus, glazed with hollandaise. Its recipient finished every last bite. The Grouper, wrapped in a flaky puff pastry, stuffed with crabmeat and baked golden brown in a lemon sauce was declared “perfecto.” We all loved the chilled fresh House Salad served on a chilled and charming salad plate atop a paper lacy doily - so sweet. The salads were comprised of tomato, cucumber and croutons layered on a bed of fresh mixed greens drizzled with a creamy house curry vinaigrette. None of us particularly like curry but it was done with such a light touch that it was delicious. A wired basket of small hot crispy rolls covered in a black cloth arrived with balls of fresh better with bits of pimento - very tasty & unusual. The butter was presented on a lovely silver scalloped server. Again, care was taken with presentation. Of course we needed a refill because the rolls & butter disappeared quickly.

Less expensive entrees not mentioned above were 4 Chicken dishes, 2 Pork selections, Shrimp & Tortellini & Mahi Mahi all under $20. Entrees over $20 included 2 Beef dishes, Red Snapper & a Spicy Grouper Florentine. I thought that the menu was quite good, varied in a wide range of prices to fit different sized pockets. The waitress mentioned several specials also. There are four soups & five appetizers on the menu. Order a Caesar Salad with homemade dressing or a Spinach Salad that sounded particularly delicious served with chopped bacon, mushrooms, boiled eggs, Romano cheese and warm bacon dressing each $4.50 with an Entrée or $9.95 as an Entrée. Add Shrimp or Chicken for an extra couple of dollars.. I was tempted by the Escargot offering & the Spinach Salad but I couldn’t even finish my Entrée. I’ll be back another night.

A delicious cheesecake was served complementary to the birthday person & I tasted a not-so-small piece - scrumptious. It could have been served with either chocolate or raspberry sauce. We all left contented, satisfied and full. We had an enjoyable visit & a wonderful celebration. We hope to return.

Black Tulip is celebrating its 28th year in Cocoa Village. It is located at 207 Brevard Ave, Cocoa FL 32922. Phone number is (321) 631-1133: Fax: (321)631-8578. The Website is: http://blacktuliprestaurant.com/ Dinner is served from 5 PM-9 PM. Although this restaurant used to require a jacket and tie, the rules have now relaxed but you will want to dress up a bit because it is still the fine dining restaurant is always has been.

3  Thank glomarrone
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I took my husband to The Black Tulip for his Birthday Dinner. We hadn't been here in years and were pleasantly surprised. When you walk in the door you are welcomed regardless of reservation and seated in the beautifully decorated dining room. The ambience is exceptional with the decor and background music. Our waitress was exceptional and took great care that we were well satisfied with everything from drinks to dessert. I was very pleased to see that they were able to accommodate my husband's dislike of cheese with substituting for their usual side dish of potatoes au gratin without a second thought. Our whole experience was excellent start to finish! Great place to celebrate special occasions.

1  Thank Mille S
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Dinners were a good taste experience.
Menu has just the right number of dinner items to choose.
Service was timely even though the restaurant was full due to Valentine’s Day.
Live piano music provided a romantic background.
Liked best, attentive service, not like a chain restaurant.
Good value for the price.

1  Thank travel_FL095
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Nice atmosphere. Good food! Love the location down in the village.