The Murder Mystery Company - Cocoa, FL - CLOSED

Cute show- overpriced meal

Reviewed July 3, 2013
ConnieW140
Cocoa, Florida

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 7, 2014

Food not great, no bathroom facilities, not much in the way of entertainment. Be prepared to visit with your own friends. Overpriced.

2  Thank Patricia J
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I have attended two shows by The Murder Mystery Company in Cocoa at Cafe Unique. We attended one show and were really impressed with the food, the actors, and facilities. The show was engaging with lots of audience participation. So we went again a couple of months later. Unfortunately it was a totally different experience! The actors didn't seem to get the audiences' attention so everyone was just talking among themselves so it got to where you could not even hear anything the actors were saying. No one was participating in finding the "clues" to solve the "crime." Plus, the food was terrible! I very rarely send food back but it was worse than food cooked all day in a crockpot with a canned soup. I was really disappointed and honestly it was so bad that I haven't even wanted to go back to the restaurant even though we have a Deal Chicken voucher for the restaurant. To some extent, I guess the actors can't be responsible for the crowd/guests, but I feel like they could have been a lot more captivating and engaging.

3  Thank Kayla W
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a couple visiting from Buffalo so we decided that this would be an unusual thing for all of us to do. The theme was the Roaring 20's so we girls ordered dresses and accessories over the Internet and the guys had "gangster" hats! It was nice that they took pictures when you came in before you were seated. We had fun trying to solve the mystery! The food was mediocre and I had really expected better. We had beef stroganoff and it was hard to find the beef! Easy to find the noodles though.

2  Thank Gagal
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I agree with the other reviews. We have been to Mystery Dinner Theatre in Virginia Beach, Richmond, Nashville and Alexandria and always had a fabulous time. I bought this on groupon expecting it to be similar to our other experiences. Didn't even come close. The food is overpriced pasta with a piece of chicken. There is a surprise $9 per person gratuity charge at the end of the night. It was hard to hear and most of the night was just spent in chaos. Not much of a script. I won't go back. Even paying half price it felt expensive for a 2 hour improv. More microphones and the staff talked through the presentation.

1  Thank Brenda R
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Honestly folks, I don't do this often, but I can't recommend this venue to anyone.
I bought the groupon, as I've done these shows else where and had a great time, looking for a different way to spend the weekend with my wife.
It was different alright:
-The "theater" was well over 95deg. in the room
-The salad, sitting in the table when we arrived early, was room temp.
-The salad dressing, also waiting on the table, was hot and seemed spoiled. (Ranch at 95deg.?)
-The meal, chicken and pasta, was cold and extremely poor quality.
-The servers were poor, and barely responsive to requests for more tea, remember the temp.?
-The acting was poor at best, but who could pay attention when you could not sit still from the heat?
-The language from the actors was inappropriate for family, calling each other wh0res as part of the act. ( actually yelling it)
-As others stated, there was a $9.00 mandatory tip per person. No way for that service and food. What a rip off!!
-I'm ok with audience participation, but you were volunteered whether you wanted to go on stage or not.
-The story was very loose, and hard to follow with the rest of the disruptions in the room.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box because you'll get the idea, but just be warned. This is a waste of time and money.

5  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have done murder mystery before in pigeon forge TN and it was good, but not as interactive as this one. I thought this was great and HUGE fun....
I do however have 2 observations...
* I was stunned when our family of 5 was hit with an additional bill of $53- no that wasn't booze... we had 2 teas, 2 sodas, and 1 water (which I thought would have been included with the "dinner".... no booze!! We ALWAYS tip and I was planning too but based on what I paid on the tickets and other show performances we have been too we were planning to tip $25... $5 for each of us... we had already ordered our food prior to arrival (even though they had to retake our order and a menu item was gone), so there was little "waitressing" involved... so why charge me $8 "tip" per person AND tax me on it!!!! I felt this was wrong and like they were trying to make money back off of the groupons.
* OH MY.... taste the stuff you call food you are serving people!!! Hamburger helper taste better! sorry to sound so rude, but look the mystery time was great, but you have this haunting of that food!!! The little café had these impressive dessert in the case as you entered, and the menu they displayed shows impressive dining experience (we WILL go back and try their food). But the catering.... THE WORST EVER!!!!! EVER!!! Cannot say that strongly enough.... FIRE THE CATERER!!! Luckily we had been warned by another couple, so be aware the community is coming to know that they should expect BAD food..... go by McD's on the way!!!

We WILL consider going back.... although by the time I pay full price, not groupon price, for the ticket... get hit with an extra $53 dollars, and get HORRIBLE food.... it may be a while!!!!
******Please note, I know I was very vocal about food and extra charge, but we DID have a great time on the mystery portion of our night. My kids had given this to their dad for father's day.... was GREAT family fun!!

3  Thank SDeConda
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I purchased the tickets to this show through Groupon. I am sure glad that I did not pay full price, as I felt like I was taken purchasing them at half price. The food was absolutely horrible and the show was even worse. The show was not at all what we expected and was very strange. When we arrived there was a book on the table with information about the table’s character and their secrets along with some play money and note paper. A person at each table was picked by one of the actors (questionable if you would call them actors) to play a character. No one volunteered, they were just picked. There were to be 3 rounds, and during each round, each person was supposed to go around to the other tables and talk to the people and try to bribe them (with fake money) to tell their secrets. Prior to the first round ending we slipped out while everyone was milling around, supposedly asking questions and bribing others with the fake money. We thought we were going to a theater where we could sit back and enjoy a show. This was not the case.

2  Thank Ziggy53
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My friend took me there as a surprise birthday gift, and we had a ball. It was a lot of fun and the actors were terrific.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The show was cute but disapointing. The prepaid meal was a plate of noodles with a choice of three sauces and a paper cup full of bread pudding for dessert. At the end of the meal, we were presented with a bill for $9 a person for the tip and were told by the waitress that she was not paid an hourly wage. She works for tips only. That is an illegal practice if in fact she was telling the truth. I would not recommend the show or the meal.

2  Thank ConnieW140
Reviewed March 9, 2013

It is expensive. You get a book at your table to read about the mystery. The acoustics were so loud that we had no idea what was going on. Only 2 actors showed up instead of 4. The room was packed. There were 7 of us and we came away so disillusioned as it was girl's night out and we were all so ready to enjoy the evening. The food was cold. We waited almost 40 minutes for our wine. When we sat down after paying ahead for the show and meal, we were told there would be a $9 charge per person for the server. It was one of the most expensive evenings we have had and the most disappointing.

2  Thank KathyWho