“The best airboat tour in Florida!”

Grasshopper Airboat Ecotours
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Cocoa
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Captain Rick's personalized, interpretive eco-tour as you look for alligators, native and migratory birds, and other Florida wildlife on the St. Johns River. Climb aboard "Grasshopper", a state-of-the-art airboat, custom built for a comfortable and safe Florida airboat ride, promising you an educational and fun wildlife experience.Captain Rick Thrift is a life- long Floridian and a fully insured and licensed U.S Coast Guard Master. He will stop frequently during your hour-long tour to discuss this wonderful eco-system often referred to as the "Central Florida Everglades".
Palm Bay, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best airboat tour in Florida!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We have taken Captain Rick's airboat tour five times and each time is better then the one before. Every time we have company we have to treat them to the best airboat ride in central Florida. It's educational and entertaining! A must when you're in Brevard County!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Margaret S

Newton, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Captain Rick made our day!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Our cruise stopped in Port Canaveral for a day and we wanted to do something other than the excursions organized by the cruise company. I found this tour here on tripadvisor and booked it about a week before the cruise for my family of four and our friends (a family of five). We rented cars in Port Canaveral, which was relatively painless and drove out Lake Poinsette.

From the moment we arrived, I was really glad we'd decided on this tour. It's a small operation, and we were able to drive up and park just a few yards away from the boat. Captain Rick is knowledgeable and easy going, and made us feel welcome right away. The ride itself was wonderful - we saw lots of gators and beautiful birds and learned lots about the lake and the wildlife. Cold water, ear protection and binoculars were all provided. Highly recommend!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank sharmalarmas
Barrie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My family booked a cruise for March Break and one of the stops was in Port Canaveral, Florida. We wanted to book an airboat ride and the cruise line was charging almost $100 per person, that's $500 for 5 people. Before the trip I did a bunch of research and found Grasshopper Airboat Ecotours, the only company with only 5 star ratings. The price was $40 cash per person and with a car rental at $100 we saved $200 rather than booking through the cruise line.

I called and spoke to Captain Rick, he was very friendly overall. He took the time to explain how he works and helped in suggesting transportation from the cruise terminal. I asked Captain Rick if he would let me bring my 4-1/2 year old daughter on the boat. He said it would be fine with him, but if my daughter got scared before hand she wouldn't be allowed to go and he would still have to charge me, which is only fair. This wasn't a problem, my daughter had a blast!

The day of the airboat ride (March 11, 2014) the weather was great. We got off the cruise, picked up our rental car from Avis and drove to Captain Rick. The drive was about 30 minutes and very easy to find.

Captain Rick was very friendly, he has one boat that holds 12 passengers and actually takes the time to make sure you are comfortable and honestly wants you to have fun. You can tell Captain Rick isn't there for the money, he's too passionate about what he does.

Once you get on the boat, Captain Rick will give you a overview of the area and what to expect out on the water.

The boat is very loud, which he gives you hearing protection for. The boat is very fast - I took my GPS with me and we got up to 50 km/h or 31 mph. The ride was very smooth and I was able to change my camera lenses during the ride.

There were lots of alligators, birds and breathtaking scenery. The whole experience lasts from start to finish roughly 90 minutes.

I would suggest taking an afternoon tour, this way Captain Rick knows where all the alligators are sun bathing and you aren't wasting time searching for them.

I was on the ride with my wife, daughter, mom & dad and we all loved it.

I would highly recommend booking with Captain Rick. I heard other people on the cruise talking about their airboat tour and they said it was busy and they felt rushed. They didn't get the personal one-on-one experience that we had.

6 stars to Captain Rick for giving my family an experience that we'll remember forever!

Given the opportunity, we would definitely do this again!

Visited March 2014
5 Thank Andrew S
Clifton Park, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Trip”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had an enjoyable airboat trip viewing the wildlife. Captain Rick was very informative. What a fun afternoon on the water.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank SusanCliftonPark_NY
Edgewater, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome Afternoon: Relaxing Fun & Yes, Educational!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

With threats of rain later in the day when we had our tour scheduled, Captain Rick personally called us and suggested we move our appointment up to earlier in the day so we would have a much better experience. We arrived and headed out into the lake and were immediately surprised with the knowledge that our guide and captain possessed. Although there were other people on the boat, my guests, my wife, and I were treated to what seemed like a 1-on-1 experience for each of us, asking questions and listening to stories and interesting facts about plants, animals, seasons and water levels. It was an absolutely great time. After about an hour, as we made our final turn to head back to the dock, it did start to rain pretty heavily, much earlier than predicted. "Great," I thought.. "Just what we need.. we'll be soaking wet when we get back and we have to go straight to meet with friends at lunch.." But NO! Captain Rick jumped below deck and grabbed everyone foul-weather gear and tarps to keep warm & dry so we would not be inconvenienced the rest of the day. I can not tell you how much we appreciated this type of personal attention. I guarantee we will definitely be back for more fun later in the year! A must-do for FL residents, guests and visitors alike. Totally worth every penny and then some.

Note: Do not be afraid to ask questions about anything you see. Captain Rick probably has the answer!

Visited November 2013