“Stayed for four days - Was miserable”
Review of Clewiston Inn

Clewiston Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Clewiston
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My four day stay was a nightmare.
The carpet floor in the room had a lot of stain and looked dirty. The room is small, you can hardly move around and not comfortable at all..
The carpet cleaner used in the hall had a strong chemical odor that made sick every day I walked through – worse as an asthmas person, I had allergy during all my staying.
The computer table was so tiny and small that my standalone monitor and laptop could hardly fit.
One morning, I went to the dining room for breakfast, I was shocked to see a hotel personnel was vacuumed that room while the breakfast food was while open. It’s inacceptable.
If you carry a luggage, you have to climb it up to several stairs or steps to go to your room because there is no ramp.
I will definitely advise anyone to stay away.
One more thing, there is not fitness room, it s a big lie on their website.

Room Tip: Call the front desk and ask questions of concern before booking online
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wes l

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in a suite. The price was reasonable and all staff were very friendly. The room was clean and the AC cooled well. Breakfast was tasty. The hotel had old Florida charm. But there is no elevator which made taking you luggage and briefcase upstairs a pain. Our suite was right on the highway which was ok while AC was running but when it cycled off the trucks on the highway woke us up repeatedly so not very restful. A constant fan setting would have helped a lot.
I'm glad I finally stayed there but would only do so again if assured of a room away from the road

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were a bit worried about staying here based on other reviews from this site but our stay turned out perfectly! Our room backed up to the park and although there were teens playing basketball nightly, we never heard a sound. Rather, we were pleased we were able to back both of our trucks and boats right up in the grass to our room. We also had a small dog with us, which they accommodated; and our room did not smell as if a pet had ever been in our room. Our room was really nice and we are rather picky to say the least. The hotel was really charming and the staff were quite friendly. The included breakfast wasn't excellent, but the cook was was wonderful and tried very hard to go out of his way to make things for us. The boat ramp was minutes away. This would be an awesome hotel for a wedding reception and so on. It was just charming. I thought the price was a little high based on the original reviews but was comparable to the area. I never received my email confirmation and couldn't obtain directions. Those would be my only negative comments if I had to make any. I would absolutely stay here again. I also love that it wasn't a chain hotel. It really was a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Having brought a boat, two pick up trucks and a small dog, we were pleased that the front desk clerk...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

On a 2 week touring holiday to Florida from UK we opted to stay here for 2 nights since it promised to be charming as a US National Historic Place.We had booked a King room but found there was only one bedside table with lamp and one rather uncomfortable chair.The room looked shabby and in need of some restoration, as did the bathroom. After complaining, we were moved to another and better room though the bathroom still left a lot to be desired i.e. green scale round shower head and taps with drainage that took forever.

The advice I most wish to give however is to avoid the restaurant at all costs. This is a separate enterprise to the hotel though that is not made clear until one questions the service and standard of food. Unfortunately we arrived quite late at the hotel and after having to move rooms it was approaching 8.45pm as we entered the dining room where we found the place empty and the waitress vacuuming the carpet. We asked to be seated and were then told we'd have to order food quickly as this must be done before 9pm. After placing our order which we made as simple as possible, given the time restraints, we could hear the cook complaining about us from the kitchen and the food we were served was disgusting. The waitress then proceeded to make us feel even more uncomfortable by continuing her vacuuming. The following morning we were advised we could have a choice of how our eggs were prepared and opted for scrambled which duly arrived looking like something between an omelette and scrambled with accompanying sausage and greasy fried potatoes. No cereal, no fruit juice and in all, an unpleasant experience. The following day we thought we'd be sensible and order omelettes from the outset but were politely informed by the waitress that the cook does not do omelettes!! No win situation we felt. Needless to say we ate dinner elsewhere on the second night of our stay.As we checked out I passed comment on our unpleasant and disappointing experience of the restaurant and from the person on the desk got the definite impression that I was not the first to complain. Perhaps if they sacked the cook and got someone who can cook and keep her mouth shut so guests cannot here her grumbles then the hotels other faults would be more easily over looked.

Room Tip: Room 124 was acceptable but if possible look at a room before making a firm commitment to stay here...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barbie56_13
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Options were the Holiday Inn or here and I opted for "charm" and stayed at the Clewiston Inn given slightly cheaper price and same listed amenities. Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn. The room was quiet and clean enough but a bit worn. No fitness facilities as listed on the website - I was told they turned it into a storage room. The main reception areas had a stale, mustiness to them. Breakfast is included but I only could only eat a few bites - potatoes were hard, biscuit was greasy and scrambled eggs without flavour. I ended up at McDonald's for an egg McMuffin...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

It is very unique experience staying at Clewiston inn. Staff are very helpful and food was great. This place is registered under "US National Historic Place". Mural in the Bar is breathtaking, painting itself worth millions of dollars. It was amazing one time in life experience.Thank you again.

Room Tip: Ask for honeymoon sweets or rooms on back courtyard it is very unique and wonderfull experience.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Clewiston Inn is a historic hotel on the National Register located in Clewiston FL. It is a landmark in the area and has a good reputation. For that reason I made a reservation for myself, my wife and another couple for the Inn's Easter Brunch. We drove 70 miles on Easter morning in anticipation of a delicious meal in an interesting location.

The menu sounded great with a salad bar, omelet station, soup, fried chicken, ham, roast beef, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, southern style collard greens, green beans and more. Also advertised were a variety of desserts. The reality did not meet expectation.

The salad bar was a skimpy arrangement of lettuce, sliced tomatos, sliced cucumber, sliced onion, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, canned peaches, pickled beets a few other items I forget and a previously frozen and mushy fruit cocktail.

The buffet consisted of a soup that I did not try, an omelet station, deep fried chicken that my wife said was cold, spiral ham and sliced roast beef in a pan with gravy. The remainder was pretty much as described in the menu with the exception of the desserts which I will describe later.

The chicken was cold and flavorless, the ham was ok, the beef was very tough and tasteless.
The entire buffet was plated by employees behind the counter and portions were very skimpy unless a larger portion was requested. The potatoes, collards, green beans rice and sweet potatoes were ok but nothing special.

Our server did not supply our table with rolls until asked. When they arrived they had obviously been microwaved and were dry and crusty.

Finally, the desserts consisted of carrot cake and German chocolate sheet cake that was served by employees from the center of the buffet line. The cakes were both very dry and obviously not fresh. At that point it didn't matter but the size of the cake slice was slightly larger than a postage stamp.

In this part of the world, $14.50 will buy a very nice meal in most restaurants and buffets. For a festive meal at a somewhat premium price most similar venues would provide an extensive salad bar, an extensive dessert bar, one or more carving stations and a larger variety of sides. Overall, our group was very disappointed with the meal and do not recommend the Clewiston Inn as a restaurant. We did discuss our displeasure with the cashier even though she did not ask us if we enjoyed the meal.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel, we only ate in the restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clewiston
Holiday Inn Express Clewiston
#1 of 6 in Moore Haven
Motor Inn - Clewiston
Motor Inn - Clewiston
#4 of 7 in Clewiston

Been to Clewiston Inn? Share your experiences!