“Southern cookin' - yea. Tasty? Not so much.”

Dixie Fried Chicken & Seafood
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Clewiston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I love southern cooking so of all the restaurants in Clewiston we selected this one.

The server was pleasant and helpful, but since we were interested in eating dishes difficult to find we did over order.

Started out with fried green tomatoes. They were really good and the portion size was huge. We wound up taking them home.

Then my wife had the catfish(whole) with collard greens and black eye peas which came with hush puppies. I had the grouper with collard greens and cole slaw. The catfish and hush puppies were good. Have to say everything else hand very little taste. Authentic, but lacking flavor.

For dessert I had banana pudding -- Very Good!

Finally, the place as stated by others is smelly from the frying and not the cleanest. Our table was by the window and there were hundreds of dead ants and dirt there.

All in all not what we expected and would recommend trying one of the other southern cooking places in Clewiston

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Last Sunday, my husband and our friend made a trip to Clewiston for the Sugarland Rally. Having grown up as part of a big Cracker family in south Florida, I was craving some of the Southern soul food from my youth. Dixie Fried Chicken did not disappoint - in fact, they served the best fried okra I've ever tasted. My husband loved his biscuits and sausage gravy, and our friend said his chicken-fried steak was incredible. This place may be tiny, but it is big on taste and the server made us feel as though we were right at home. Bonus - all three of us got stuffed for less than $30!

1  Thank BeachJournalist
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Blink and you'll miss Dixie Fried Chicken...in fact that's what I had been doing the last several times through Clewiston. This time I noticed it right at a traffic light. It is an old concrete-block building, unadorned. When you walk in, you're engulfed in the smell (or stink, depending on your opinion) of fried chicken. I was greeted promptly by the owner and the waitress. There is also a walk-up, chicken-to-go inside counter, too. Everything is cooked to order, so there's a little wait, but trust me...it's worth it. So far, this is one of my "big three" chicken palaces in South Florida: the other two being the Georgia Pig in Davie (but only on Friday) and Betty's Soul Food in Fort Lauderdale. There's nothing remotely fancy here, which is part of the attraction. This is a good ol' boys-type place to eat, with lots of handmade signs and tons of Elvis memorabilia, which is cool. So my order arrives...the most fantastically juicy, perfectly-spiced fried chicken. Why anyone in Clewiston would visit the nearby Popeyes or KFC, I have no idea! I had some hot crinkle-cut fries, a big portion of perfect, homemade collard greens, and of course a large tumbler of sweet tea. This is the sort of simple, uncomplicated place that used to be in every Florida small town. It's so good to see a place like this still around, doing exactly what they do best. If you understand why I rate this "very good" then you'll understand its for the food, not because its fine dining. But I'll tell you this: I'll gladly drive from my home in Fort Lauderdale all the way to Clewiston for some fried chicken. In my opinion, it's that good. You'll smell like fried food when you leave...so if that bothers you take a change of clothes lol.

2  Thank mibenco
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting clewiston and have yet to try dixie fried you are missing out. The gator is made to perfection and the chicken is fit for a king. Ironically the decor is based on the king thats right the place is loaded with Elvis memorabilia. Just ask about it for a unique story on how it all started. If you are an Elvis fan come for the decor and stay for the food. If you are not an Elvis fan then come for the food. Either way this unobtrusive little restraunt is a musttry in clewiston

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Finally tried Dixie Fried and enjoyed it. We both had fried chicken which was freshly cooked good and crispy with very little spice
I had collards and field peas along with a nice biscuit. Dessert was peach cobbler

If you like this kind of Southern cooking this is a good place for it. The cafe is small and nothing fancy. The folks running it make you feel right at home. I will be back