“great place for the money”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Texas
“great place for the money”
Reviewed November 6, 2006

This was the first time I have used my travel club which I purchased through carnival cruise lines, so I really did not know what to expect. After reading through the reviews I was concerned, but felt I really needed to give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised. The grounds were nice and the unit we had was clean and adequetly furnished. I really felt that we got a great value for our money. We were about 7 miles from Disney and it was very easy to get to the parks and airport. We rented a car so we did not use the shuttle service. The only thing I would suggest is to bring a couple of dishwasher packets and a small clothes detergent because they do not furnished those and you do have to wash your own towels. My only other observance was the locks and door handles are low enough for our two year old. We made a barrier out of chairs to protect the exit. I feel the resort should put more secure locks not to keep others out but keep little ones in. Also beware you do not want to book at Inn at Summer Bay looks really bad.

• Liked — the overall appearence and our view
  • Disliked — not having enough supplies,ie toliet paper, soaps
9 Thank dlivray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
USA
Reviewed November 5, 2006

One thing that I have noticed about some of the reviews of this resort, is that a lot of people are mistaking the Summer Bay Resort for the Summer Bay Inn, which are close by eachother. We've seen the Summer Bay Inn. And there's no doubt that the Inn has a real competion with Motel 6.

But, Summer Bay Resort can not be touched. That resort was wonderful. We had a 2 bedroom condo which had a full kitchen, leather couches, big screen tv, a balcony over looking the lake, and an over-sized jacuzzi tub! The property is gorgeous and the staff is helpful. They will even drive you to the local grocery store with no charge! I've stayed in many different resorts in several places around the world. This resort definately deserves the Gold Crown award that they have received every year for over a decade now.

I'm telling you, the bad reviews that I've read on here describe details that only relate to the Inn....not the Resort. Do your homework. It would be a tragedy if you passed up a night at this resort.

• Liked — Quality and hospitality
  • Disliked — Small closet
  • Tips/Secrets — Take advantage of the massage therapist that comes up to your room for only a $1 a minute.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank marijhouse
Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We just returned from a week at Summer Bay Resort. We got a wonderful deal through the Armed Forces Vacation Club. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo in building 406. This building was not the newest but not the oldest either. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful. We had no problems checking in. We presented our papers and our room was ready for us. After reading the other reviews, we were worried about our stay. However, the rooms were clean and spacious. We spent many nights at the pool listening to other sing or beach music. The bar was nice but did close at 11. We would have loved for it to stay open longer. We did not use the free shuttle but did see it coming and going frequently. THere were lots of choices for activities such as arts and crafts, Mary Kay makeovers, and even a parent's night out. We would definitely stay here again. It was about 10 minutes from the Disney Parks and about 20 minutes from Universal. We have fun and hated to come home!

• Liked — the resort, pools, rooms
  • Disliked — bar closes early
  • Tips/Secrets — Get one of the newer buildings
9 Thank Lovinglife18
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed October 15, 2006

As a member of RCI, we got a promo deal in exchange for a timeshare sales tour. I was traveling with my two young sons and they gave us a nice 2 bed 2 bath condo with a huge hot tub in the master suite. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the tour was casual, friendly and not as high pressure as I had experienced before. The condo was well laid out with split bedrooms, a full kitchen with all the amenities, a large dining area and living room with a large tv. The master suite was as nice as you can find with a king size bed, and large dressing/ sink/hot tub area as well as enclosed toilet area. The pool was quite adequate and my sons made friends with some other vacationing kids and had a nice time. The location is very convenient to all the attractions and there is a big supermarket a short drive away. Anyone that has taken a family to Orlando can appreciate the savings involved by avoiding the area restaurants for all their meals. There was also a washer and dryer right in the condo that came in handy.
A special word of thanks to the concierge who recommended Angels Lobster Buffet. My kids were having a war over what to have for dinner - one wanted Pizza Hut and the other wanted a buffet, and lo and behold, Angels has all the lobster you can eat and a Pizza Hut in the lobby that they let you bring into the buffet while only charging a few bucks for soda and desert for those eating pizza. When everyone was happy, it reaffirmed my belief that god loves me. ;-)
All in all I would recommend Summer Bay for families. If you haven't stayed in a condo like this when on vacation with your kids, you should definitely try it, you won't stay in hotel rooms again.

• Liked — That hot tub sure came in handy after a long day at Disney!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Tips/Secrets — Stock the kitchen first thing. Don't forget laundry soap and lots of ice cream!!!
  • Stayed November 2004, traveled with family
15 Thank landsold
NC
Reviewed October 9, 2006

Stayed here after bidding on Ebay for a week. I got a great price and the resort was well worth what I paid. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo on the third floor. There was an elevator at the resort.
The main pool was nice and only 4.5 feet deep which was great for my kids. It overlooks the lake and has a great sunset view. Watercraft are available for rental. There is entertainment at the pool nightly. It is usually karaoke, but nevertheless we enjoyed it.
The condo was spotless. The furniture was leather and very comfortable. Even the pull out sofa was sleepable.
The kitchen, I thought, was lacking. There was no cookie sheet, no tupperware type storage dishes, and not enough silverware. The coffemaker had dead "love bugs" in the water resovoire which really grosed us out. Apparently they don't get checked often and we were told the "love bugs' are bad in October.
Other ammenities included mini golf, tennis, shuffleboard, basketball, an interactive water park for the kids (with a cracked slide that had caution tape all over it) which was most dissapointing as it could not be used by my boys.
The resort states it is 6 miles to the Disney parks, but it seemed a bit longer to me. The location is very nice though. It's off the main road and very peaceful at night. There is a libraray with internet service within walking distance.
The staff was pleasant for the most part.

• Liked — space, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — ill equipped kitchen, no baking pans, tupperware and dead bugs in coffee maker
3 Thank southfoke
Roan Mountain
Reviewed October 2, 2006

The large resort was absolutely the best we have ever stayed at, comparable to International World of Golf in St. Augustine, FL. Check-in was easy, our 2-bedroom villa was spotless! The towels in the kitchen and 2 bathrooms were made up into little animals like they do on cruise ships, lots of little personal touches. Our villa had only a VCR and I called them; in 15 minutes a maintenance man was there to bring us a DVD player and told us they were in the process of replacing all the VCRs. The next morning we were sitting on the patio enjoying the cool morning with our coffee and the pool maintenance man was cleaning around the pool, whistling "It's a Small World" the whole time he worked - that was neat! Everything about this resort and the management was excellent, beautiful clean pools, nice lake where you could fish, ride jet skis, trampolines in the water, lots to do. We would return here anytime and certainly plan to again next year. Also, La Nouba is wonderful at Downtown Disney and we loved a day at Epcot.

• Liked — Clean and management very accomodating, one of 3 pools right outside our patio door
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything negative
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
5 Thank MtngirlTN
Mississippi
Reviewed October 1, 2006

EXCELLENT experience overall. Two bedroom, two bath condo was FABULOUS. Apparently, you need to be careful to stay in the condos vice the villas or the Summer Bay Inn. I heard nothing but negatives about them.

Check in was fantastic and courteous. Room was spectacular. Fourth floor overlooking the pool. Location is extremely convenient to everything Disney. Literally right around the corner was a grocery store, library with free internet, hair salon, etc.

The only negatives were extremely minor. Diswasher wouldn't drain, so I hand washed the dishes. Not a big deal to me. We called it in and left before they ever fixed it (4 days). The building maintenance man did come through prior to this and give me his card. Told me to call him personally if we had any problems, I just wasn't worried about it.

Lake facilitiies, pools, main building Tiki bar - all great. We probably would have enjoyed our vacation more had we just stayed at the hotel and never gone to Disney...

Note to military folks. Use Armed Forces Vacation Club (afvclub.com) to book this. Super cheap!

• Liked — Better than our home...
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the condos. Avoid the Summer Bay Inn
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank av8rmike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Quality Inn Maingate West
#6 of 17 in Clermont

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!