“Don't fall into the Trap of Summer Bay”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Reviewed April 10, 2006

I understand that you get what you pay for, however, I would have paid more if I knew what I was getting into.I don't believe it's right to be intentionally decieved and shown pictures on line of a resort that you will never step foot on. For those thinking that your staying at Summer Bay,let me clue you in, no one actually stays at Summer Bay because they sell Condo's. This is what the people at the desk will tell you when you arrive to the "Welcome Center" and think your checking into a hotel.Instead, they book you into any old "hotel"(motel) thats availiable, and make you take a 90 minute tour of their facility without you even knowing that this is the price your paying for their services. Not to mention, what you've already paid for your "hotel". When I offerd to pay more to stay at a better hotel they said that it was their peak season time and that this was all that was availiable. Since me and my family had just driven 6 hours to get there, it left us with no chice but to stay in what they had offered us. I will never use their services again, and for those of you who were able to stay in a "tasteful" location, you got lucky. I would have paid for an upgrade too but it wasn't availiable so we got screwed. For anyone reading this e-mail, BEWARE of SUMMER BAY, your better off reserving the a good named hotel yourself, and having piece of mind for your travels. Good Luck.

60  Thank Nikki2838
There are newer reviews for Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts

A TripAdvisor Member
Cleamont
Reviewed April 10, 2006

My stay with my 3children was HORRIBLE. I was at the Summer Bay Inn. It was not clean,the coffee pot was broke,the hot water ran out after one shower,the smell was moldy and that came from the air conditionerin a whole it was a filthy room. The customer service in the front office was rude and lacked customer service skills. I then went to the Summer Bay Resort hpofully to find some better expierences for my self and the kids. At the pool there was TEENS who were not monitered by parents. They were everywhere and up to no good. I talked to security guard there and his response was "I guess I'll have to run them off like I did last night" he also mentioned the profanity the had been using.
My complaint is if they are trying to sale family resorts then they need to be family oriented. Saying you are and being one are two different things. The 90 minute presentation turned into 3hrs. No I did not purchase a resort through them but I did purchase a resort that is only 2 miles from Disney and absolutly beautiful and totally family oriented and 50 times better in quality and it is a known name (WYNDHAM)Summer Bay Resort is a BIG thumbs down.I recommend anyone to be aware of their quality in rooms,services and never buy any of there so called vacation packages they are truley a ripp-off.

37  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 7, 2006

My family and I have just come back from Summerbay Resort in Orlando for spring break. After reading the reviews concerning the timeshare we almost cancelled our trip, but I'm glad we did not. This resort is really nice. It has several heated pools, playgrounds for the kids, putt-putt and a small water park. We would enjoy the parks during the day and the heated pool at night. The pool stayed open until 11 pm and had a DJ with open mic karaoke. There is also a small work out room, volleyball & tennis courts. The gift shop has everything you might have forgetten to bring from home at an exaggerated price. For example, a half gallon of milk was $4.24. However, there is a publix located next to the resort. We had a 1 bedroom condo, which had a kitchen, washer and dryer, 2 tv's, and a sofa bed. Our pool backed up to the pond which could be used for fishing (fishing equipment can be rented at guest services). We purchased our vacation package through Florida Discount Lodging for only $99 for 4 days/3 nights. We listened to the time share sales presentation for 90 minutes. We were served a continental breakfast and the kids were directed to a playroom full of toys and video games. We were very honest with our sales person and told him we were not interested in making a purchase at this time. He did not get upset and was very understanding. At the end of the 90 minutes we were allowed to enjoy the rest of our vacation. We would definitely stay at Summerbay again. The only advice I have is if you are purchasing a package involving a timeshare sales presentation, make sure you will be staying on the property of Summerbay and not across the street at the Holiday Inn at Summerbay. We met a couple that was staying there and was shuttled over to the resort for the timeshare presentation. They were having a very bad stay at the Holiday Inn at Summerbay. PLEASE STAY ON THE PROPERTY and you will enjoy your trip!

bfh

27  Thank bfh
A TripAdvisor Member
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2006

We "won" a three night trip to Summer Bay, which included two park tickets. This was contingent upon our giving up 1 and 1/2 hours to a sales person at the resort. We upgraded the room to a two bedroom. We checked the website and were impressed with the promised amenities. When we arrived we were directed to an off-site condominium complex fifteen miles from the Summer Bay resort area. The condo we stayed in was nice but it was 15 miles from the amenities. The sales presentation was vague and aggravating. They make sure that they talk to you for 90 minutes no matter what. After you decline the timeshare purchase they offer you another vacation and a vacation club membership for a mere $1900.
I was not completely ticked off, but I will not return to Summer Bay. There are much nicer resorts in Orlando and they are located closer to the Parks.

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We just returned from a week at the Summer Bay Resort in Orlando. After reading a lot of the reviews I was a little scared to say the least!
We had a great time there. Our 2 bedroom 2 bath condo was great. I t was very roomy, we had five kids and 2 adults. Everything you needed was in the condo. The housekeeping was great. We had no problems with anything. We were called by the timeshare staff one morning and I told them I wasn't interested and they never called back..
The water sport area was great for the kids. The pool was very nice too. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They got us a taxi and gave us directions all with no hassle.

I f you are renting directly from Summer Bay have no fear you will enjoy your stay!!

10  Thank mochamom
Reviewed March 25, 2006

The property itself was beautiful. We enjoyed watching the sunset from our window or from the bench by the lake across our condo unit. It was relaxing to listen to nightly live music by the pool while sipping our favorite drinks. The condo was nicely furnished. Great resort except for the service. We opted for no housekeeping, but we didn't know it also meant no supplies. The resort provides for the initial toilettries, e.g. paper towel, soap, toilet paper, bath towels etc.. After that, you're on your own. The resort charges extra to provide these items even bath towels. So bring your own or go to Publix market next door to buy them. The resort staff were not very friendly. Good thing we bought our own condo-hotel at Floridays which will be ready in a few months. So we don't need to stay at Summer Bay again when we return to Orlando.

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank vacation_junkie03
Reviewed March 24, 2006

We booked a 3 bedroom condo approx. 6 months ago knowing that spring break is a busy time. Summer Bays website shows a 3 bedroom unit as a 2 bedroom with a 1 bedroom lock off. Lots of beds, 3 bathrooms. We allowed our daughter to invite 3 friend.
When we arrived we were given an actual 3 bedroom unit which was short one full bed and one bathroom. Made for things being a little cozier than we had planned. Since it was spring break the resort was full so we received no help on solving our little problem. We tried to make the best of the situation.
The resort is not that old but the wear & tear and lack of maintenance made the unit itself a little tired. We have stayed in nicer resorts in the Orlando area and would not return to this resort.

Stayed: March 2006
18  Thank 200,461
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 340 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!