“Rip off internet scam”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
A TripAdvisor Member
“Rip off internet scam”
Reviewed February 8, 2006

I just had to post this on here and if I could have give a negative rating I would have.

A FRIENDLY WARNNING TO EVERYONE DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY OR IT’S SALES TECHNIC OR STAFF.

I was a victim of their internet pop up scam “you have won a holiday” I was foolish and taken in. I admit it was my mistake to ever think this was a trustworthy company. I booked the holiday and paid for it. They gave me a confirmation number, and a customer confirmation line number that was toll free. I thought I had a good deal at first.

Then the next day I tried to access the summer bay web site to see what I was getting and guess what? I could not gain access. I tried the free phone number, and all I got was a message “ sorry the office is now closed” I continued to try the web site to no avail, also the phone number. For weeks I kept trying with no luck at all. I searched the web and found sites on summer bay and very few had anything good to say about the company. I sent emails to every address available on the summer bay site or sites about summer bay. They all bounced back. This has been ongoing since October 2005. in January the free phone number was disconnected.

Now for the good news

Tonight (9th February 2006) I got through to a living person. It has taken many hours and money to eventually get through to someone. I have not managed to get a full refund of my money £299.00 but I have large proportion of it and I put the rest down to bad judgement and sometime that costs money.

Oh yes I forgot they are giving me a refund and if I want the customer relations guy said I can still have the holiday: I THINK NOT.

Anyway for everyone out there who has been caught out and want to get their money back here is the number, it’s in the USA so add the international codes from what ever country you are calling from

[----] Bill Scolard is the service manager?
Or that’s what he said he was and to be honest I don’t believe it.

Don’t be put off by the 7 day cancellation clause I was not told about it and my guess neither were you, or about the extra costs. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General and suggest that everyone does the same.

Finally I hope you all have great holiday’s in the States and remember not ever holiday company is like Summer Bay. I have now booked a holiday in San Francisco with my refund. I have been there many times and travelled all over California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and many of the other states. Everywhere I have been the people and accommodation has been great. The only state I have not been to is Florida, and guess what I will not be going anywhere near it after this experience with BUMMER BAY :)
TELEPHONE [--------] NOW

Stayed February 2006
77 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Reviewed January 29, 2006

This is one of those few resorts that you absolutely must understand what you are reserving before you click.

The pictures of this resort, on any reservation site will show you a lavish, beautiful inviting resort. And I would guess it probably is, however I never actually saw the inside of that resort.

Upon arrival, my wife and I were directed across the street, to OUR room, not the condos and ammenities we had been shown on the website, but something else.

Reading the varying reviews (after my reservation date), I can only conclude that this resort is solely interested in selling time-shares, nothing else. If you are definently not buying (i.e. you aren't responding to a phone solicitation), then your room will be across the street in a 60's style open-air motel, approximatley 50 feet from a 6 lane highway.

I chose not to stay; and for that TripAdvisor may choose not to post this review. However, for the sake of those who may be ripped off in the future, I hope they allow me to post this once.

• Stayed January 2006
92 Thank Jon T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2006

Recently returned from a stay at Summer Bay with wife and 16 month old baby. The resort was excellent. Check-in was a breeze took 5 min. Was approached 1 time for a "breakfast" by the time share sales folks but skipped it and no further problems. The unit that we stayed in was a 2bd/2ba condo. The unit was clean and well furnished with a full kitchen as well as dishwasher, washer and dryer. The complex has several heated pools that were quite nice and the large pool has entertainment nightly. We had a pool right outside the back of our building and it was wonderful for the baby he thouroughly enjoyed it. The resort has numerous activities you can participate in and provides transport to most of the major theme parks. There is a publix supermarket right by the main entrance and there is a super wal-mart @ 5 min drive away. The resort is on 192w in Clermont and the main attractions/parks are @10-15 min drive away. There are numerous resturants within a short drive and there are several that deliver. Most of the buildings have charcole grills so we grilled steakes on night. All in all had a wonderful time and would plan on returning again. One word of caution, if you use the internet on your computer make sure to use the access numbers (aol) ect that the resort provides, we used the numbers that AOL gave us and got hit with $250 in long distance charges. An expensive lesson I had to learn. If you have a large party that are planning to go you should contact the resort because they have 3br homes with their own pools that you can stay at. I have read several reviews that were negative. It seems that most of them are from people who signed up for a "weeks stay at a high class resort for $20-200" and wound up staying at the hotel that is on property or the one that is across the street. Remember if it sounds too good to be true it is. Consumers should be aware that there are many timeshare companies that will use bait and switch tactics or lead you to believe that you will be staying at a resort for a vacation but in reality you are being brought down for a sales presentation. Fortunatly we did not have any of these problems and Summer Bay staff were extremly professional. We are looking to return at some time in the future

• Stayed January 2006
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 25, 2006

We have been owners at Summer Bay Resort since 2000. We have returned each and every year since then , and refer it to "our winter retreat". Our teenagers can not wait to go back and enjoy the pools, basketball and the freedom to enjoy a gated resort.

We have requested "our unit" next to the lake and every year so far, the staff has granted our request. How we love sitting on the balcony and relaxing with a beverage. But we are within eye distance of the main pool to keep an eye on those teenagers.

Just a short walk out of the main gates is a shopping area with a library ( internet access ), pizza shop, grocery store and restuarant. They resort also provides free transportation bus to Disney World. Which allows the kids to get a head start on the parks, before we join them for the evening.

As time shares go - we love Summer Bay Resort - we use one week there and trade our other week. And what trading power if you plan ahead. We have been to Vegas, Cape Cod, Lake Tahoe, Virginia Beach, Hilton Head.

• Stayed February 2005
15 Thank JRuane4985
usa
Reviewed January 24, 2006

just got back jan 22/06-would stay again and again!!soo much for kids and we didn't have any with us-rooms are large-master bedroom of two bedroom unit was heaven!!-room was so clean i walked right into slider door-pools were all warm for jan.-resort staff very polite-with disney tix soo expensive we didn't see need for a family to do much else but stay at summer bay

5 Thank toesinthesand55
bc, canada
Reviewed January 23, 2006

I was first ripped off by an e-mail deception -- that I've won $1000.
But it was an amount off a Orlando vacation package from Summer Bay Resorts.
Extreme high pressure with misrepresentations or deletion of charges and other conditions were applied.
They hook you by low-priced hotel and other accommodations -- then say 5 days 4 nights Cancun. Sounds great.
However, two weeks later when I received the offical contract (Terms and Conditions which supersedes anything the salesperson may have said) I found out that transportation to Cancun, and extra $15 per night reservation fees were extra! The salesperson said it was for 24 months -- but the policy said only 18 months with booking within a year. I tried to cancel -- but it was too late according to them.

Their phone vacation "contract" is illegal because their "Terms and Conditions" supersedes it and their $15 per night reservation fees was not mentioned in the phone pitch. (The first guy at the cancellation office stated it was a tax -- not a fee!) Clearly a deception if not outright case of fraud.

With all the extra demands and conditions which weren't mentioned by the phone salesperson -- I demanded they refund the money.
"No way", the woman superviser later said, "It's yours!"

No way am I going to Summer Bay Resorts after their deception. If I don't get satisfaction through Master Card, I'm going to the BBB, the tourist bureau and the Attorney General in both Florida and NJ.

JJR

Stayed December 2005
58 Thank jackxx
Colorado Springs
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo in August at Summer Bay in Orlando, Florida. We were about 10 minutes from Disney. Really enjoyed the condo and was more than I expected. There were multiple pools in each area. The place was clean and friendly. Many things to do, including putt putt golf, although some of the extras will cost you. The condo was spacious and clean. Washer and Dryer and 2 bathrooms. The furniture was nice and we liked having a kitched stocked with supplies (not food) for cooking. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place. We are even considering a timeshare here. THey are doing a lot of renivating so I would expect some even nicer stuff.

22 Thank lori b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 339 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!