“Bait & Switch”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Bait & Switch”
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I am trying to get my money back after having been suckered into a Free 8 day Orlando vacation given away by another company. Of course, it wasn't free and they got me to cough up for $154 for theme park tickets but threw in the so called "free" vacations to Daytona and Freeport which are not really free either.

I am sure that they will honor their commitment for a room but their sales practices border on illegal. If something is free, it is free or has minimal charges but in this case, do your research.

• Stayed October 2005
21 Thank Jonathan L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Reviewed October 13, 2005

My husband and I are not rich by any means.....just live check to check, so when Summer Bay called 2 years ago and told me about their vacation package to Florida including a 2 day cruise to the Bahamas, I was determined to pay out the $300+ fees and present the vacation to my husband for his birthday the following year (in Sept., 2004) as the vacation of our lifetime! With us both near age 50...he actually turned 50 last year in Sept., and knowing that we were probably never going to win the 50 million dollar lottery, I sat out on a mission to make this the best vacation we would probably ever have. I kept it a secret for almost a year too! The problem was, when it came time to leave on our vacation, we still had not received the materials (free tickets to Disney, Universal Studios, etc. and necessary information about the cruise) that had been promised. I had purchased nonrefundable tickets to fly to Orlando and hoped, after calling the main office there, I would get more answers to my questions once we arrived. We arrived to find out that we would not be staying on the resort itself as lead to believe. We were actually staying off the property and across the street at a hotel (a Holiday Inn or Quality Inn named conveniently "Inn at Summer Bay") that appeared to be in serious need of repair and looked as though it had not been renovated since it's establishment maybe back in the 70's? Who knows...that is just our best guess. We were, of course disappointed and when I left the bathtub filling with water on that evening with a good soak in mind to recoup a little from the flight and all the disappointing misinformation we had begun to receive,
I returned to turn the water off only to find the tub was full of water the color of bright yellow!! Needless to say, the bath was off (for the time being) and a complaint was made to no avail....we were stuck. We were soon to find out that the next day, the short one hour presentation we agreed to attend on Summer Bay property in order to get the vacation pkg. for such a sweet price (haha!), would last closer to 4 hours and be one that brought about salespersons who stalled to keep you waiting longer and longer to get your free tickets to the sights promised and also high pressure sales tactics galore! We then found out that at the next stop on the itinerary, one of the Florida beaches, we would be required to attend another presentation of the same calibur....we went and we attended the presentation, another long one, thinking we will duck out after an hour by just saying no, no, no!! Instead, we found ourselves signing up to buy property in Tennessee and were promised 2 free vacations over the next two years to go along with it. This is October 2005 and all we have gotten from Summer Bay are charges to our bank acct....until a few months ago, at the monthly property payment agreed upon. The last two months however, we have been charged 2 and 3 times the amount we were being charged monthly. We have received no emails or material on any free vacations or any information on the supposed property we are purchasing.....I've got a bad feeling, once our payments have all be collected, we will never hear from them again unless we track them down and then ....another run around or more presentations or more payments? Who knows. Oh, the cruise we were supposed to take.....we never got to take because Summer Bay, in all their wisdom, had told us before the vacation that everything was taken care of. All we had to do was show up at the dock, board and we would be off to the sunny bahamas. Funny how no one at the information office in Orlando ever heard of such a cruise and then when pressed about it....we were given a number to call finally. We called the number and was told....no, everything was not taken care of ahead of time and we would need to bring visa's with us for traveling outside the country. Of course, it takes 6 weeks to get a visa....so, no cruise.........and to make an even longer story shorter and end the misery of writing about something that was to be our vacation of a lifetime that turned out to be our vacation from Haydes, lets just say....we were left stranded in Orlando the last night there....with nowhere to stay....luckily we still had a little money on us and we were able to find a cheap motel to stay in for the night before leaving home the next day on our flight back home or we would have been in more than just serious trouble, I'm afraid. Oh, the rooms were all taken at the hotel where we were supposed to stay....and of course, they could not make things right by providing us a room on the actual Summer Bay Property...even though there were open rooms and suites for the taking....at the right price! Anyway, we are now stuck with payments to Summer Bay....from our bank acct. on a monthly basis for at least another year and no way out of the nightmare!! If we stop payment on the automatic deductions, it will be a smear on our credit..... so what's a person to do? Wait and hope for the best, I suppose....Just want everyone to know about our vacation and maybe it will save someone else from going through what we went through and are still going through. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to help, David and Tammie Jennings, Amarillo, TX

Stayed October 2004
53 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Just a note to beware when booking with summer Bay Resort. I booked from the internet. This was the ad" You're a winner! You have 3 minutes to reply" We wanted to go to Florida , so I bit! This was March 18, 2004. We had one year to take the trip. We couldn't go in that year, so I paid more money to extend for another year. No problem. Currently my husband has lymphoma, cancer. He is taking chemo and cannot travel. Lymphoma is a reacurring cancer. There is remission, but it will return. I talked with Kenny, from Summer Bay in July, was asked to fax a letter from our doctor, which I did, stating my husband cannot travel. I'm now tired of dealing with Summer Bay Resort. The cost of this trip was $396.35 canadian funds, $98.00 U.S. funds, and another $40.00 in U.S. funds. I would love to go to Florida, but it is now medically impossible. All I want is a refund. If Summer Bay Resort is a reputable, financially sound firm, I really don't think it would be a problem to refund around $500.00. It's no longer about the money. I think people should be aware of the type of company they will be dealing with if they book with Summer Bay Resorts. There are a lot of companies out there. Just be sure to book with one that will refund in an emergency. I tried to phone Summer Bay Resort today and was put on hold for over 15 minutes -toll free of course -never did speak to anyone. I am a Canadian. If this is how Canadians and perhaps people from other countries are treated by companies from the United States, vacationers should be looking elsewhere. I am going to make it my mission to advise vacations - Be Aware of Summer Bay Resort!!

Stayed March 2004
37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I recently purchased a vacation to spend a weekend at the Summer Bay Resort. Though not something I would not normally do, I purchased the vacation over the phone after “popping” into and internet add. The sales person was a little pushy, but not rude so I decided to go ahead with it.
I got home and decided to do a little research on my new vacation. I saw a lot of good info on Trip Advisor. I read both good reviews and bad reviews so I though I'de contact the number they gave me for customer service. The agents seemed polite and even gave me advice on local attractions. For a period of about a week, I called two or three times and got more information from different agents. I decided to go through with my trip.
It’s been 10 days since my family and I returned from our vacation. The resort was very nice and the amenities where just as described on the web site. The sales tour was a little long but having been through a couple before, I knew what to expect. Over all the experience was good.

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 25, 2005

I went to Florida myself after I purchased a package from a telemarketer thinking it was actually Summer Bay. When I arrived I found out that I wasn't staying at Summer Bay but Rosen Plaza Hotel, which turned out to be absolutely wonderful! Then next day my family and I made our way to take our tour of Summer Bay. That was when I found out they weren't actually the ones who called me but a telemarketer. The telemarketer offered me 2 adult tickets to a main park and 2 adult tickets to a minor park and told me it included my 2 children. Well after the tour of Summer Bay (which was relaxing and quite enjoyable) we found out it was only suppose to be 2 adult tickets to a major park for one day but we were expecting 2 days of park enjoyment. Of course we were upset actually livid we came all the way from North Carolina to Florida for 1 day of park fun and plus our children weren't included in the tickets! If we were told the truth of course we wouldn't have went because it is expensive for even children to go to Walt Disney World (if you want a rip off they will give you a class-act one)! But low-and-behold Summer Bay and our spokesman took care of us! They purchased our tickets for us and contacted The Tower for us to get our 2-day tickets straightened out! They were absolutely understanding about our situation and apologized about the telemarketers and explained they were trying to get out from underneath them all together. In the end Summer Bay impressed us with their resort so we bought. Of course we haven't gotten to visit yet and I am sure it will be a wonderful trip. The thought of owning something and not having to pay hotel prices just to visit Florida is a good feeling so far. I have read other peoples reviews and it just sounds like they had to deal with the same telemarketer I did so they shouldn't blame Summer Bay but the telemarketers because they will tell you what you want to hear to sell. The worst part of my trip was visiting MGM studios. They had too many people in their park to enjoy anything, we got to see 1 show and we were there all day! We waited 1 hour and 1/2 to see Mickey Mouse, which one of my children fell asleep before we made it. They were the worse part of my trip, also because their employees were as rude as they come, and it wouldn't have been worth paying their prices to get in. We visited Typhoon Lagoon the next day. They were packed and it took to 2pm to get in. Kids can't ride hardly any of the rides (which is the same problem for all their parks that they advertise for children) but they got to swim, which we could have done at the hotel. Our children had fun in the end and that was all that mattered. We just know that if we can give our children a chance to visit Florida and see everything (not just WDWorld) and them be able to return for the rest of their life without having to pay a dime for hotels we did something wonderful for them and their families in the future. There is just nothing we can do if they waste money on not so great parks! In closing give it a shot before you shoot it down and try to relax! Hopefully when we get to visit next year I can get on here and tell you what a wonderful time we had staying at Summer Bay!

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed September 24, 2005

Just got back from Summer Bay and had a great time. From the moment we checked in we found the staff very friendly and helpful. When we walked into our room we all said "wow". we stayed in a 2 bed condo with the superking size bed and spa bath in the master bedroom. The kitchen was well equiped and clean (as was the whole condo) with all the essentials provided, Washing up liquid, Tablets for the dishwasher, Washing powder and Bounce for the washer and dryer, soaps and shower gels etc. Even the towels were folded to the shape of animals which was a nice touch. We actually liked spending time in our room and as a conciquence had a far more relaxing time than we had anticipated, not needing to be shopping or at the parks just to get out of the room.
The resort was very well kept on the whole but the beach area was lacking the sparkle the rest of the resort had. We went down to the main pool area at night for a drink but the Karaoke was not to our taste so we didn't stay.
Summer Bay is a great place to base yourself as you are within a 30 minute drive to most places you would want to visit on a Florida holiday.
Just one thing that spoiled our holiday, we made a 28 minute phone call back to the UK, the pricing was not clear on the phone tariff instructions and was handed a $211 bill on checkout..this was ruduced by 30% when challenged but was the most expensive phone call iv'e ever made, buy a phonecard if you need to call home...

• Stayed September 2005
25 Thank keeto17
Reviewed September 22, 2005

I am somewhat disheartened to hear some of the reviews that have been posted. My husband and I took our youngest child to the Resort in Gatlinburg, and we had such a fabulous time, we are going back this year with all three of our children for Christmas. The resort is impecably maintained, there is a world of activity to keep the kids occupied, and everyone having their own bedroom is a fantastic plus. We love Gatlinburg because there is so much to do there, and at Christmas the whole town just comes alive, more so than at any other time of year. If you haven't had the best of experiences with other summer bay resorts, I ask that you at least give these honest, intelligent guest service members a chance to redeem themselves, before you pass judgement on the entire enterprise.

Stayed June 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Quality Inn Maingate West
#6 of 17 in Clermont

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!