“An over all nice stay....”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Smyrna, GA
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I recently purchased a vacation to spend a weekend at the Summer Bay Resort. Though not something I would not normally do, I purchased the vacation over the phone after “popping” into and internet add. The sales person was a little pushy, but not rude so I decided to go ahead with it.
I got home and decided to do a little research on my new vacation. I saw a lot of good info on Trip Advisor. I read both good reviews and bad reviews so I though I'de contact the number they gave me for customer service. The agents seemed polite and even gave me advice on local attractions. For a period of about a week, I called two or three times and got more information from different agents. I decided to go through with my trip.
It’s been 10 days since my family and I returned from our vacation. The resort was very nice and the amenities where just as described on the web site. The sales tour was a little long but having been through a couple before, I knew what to expect. Over all the experience was good.

• Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Valdese, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2005

I went to Florida myself after I purchased a package from a telemarketer thinking it was actually Summer Bay. When I arrived I found out that I wasn't staying at Summer Bay but Rosen Plaza Hotel, which turned out to be absolutely wonderful! Then next day my family and I made our way to take our tour of Summer Bay. That was when I found out they weren't actually the ones who called me but a telemarketer. The telemarketer offered me 2 adult tickets to a main park and 2 adult tickets to a minor park and told me it included my 2 children. Well after the tour of Summer Bay (which was relaxing and quite enjoyable) we found out it was only suppose to be 2 adult tickets to a major park for one day but we were expecting 2 days of park enjoyment. Of course we were upset actually livid we came all the way from North Carolina to Florida for 1 day of park fun and plus our children weren't included in the tickets! If we were told the truth of course we wouldn't have went because it is expensive for even children to go to Walt Disney World (if you want a rip off they will give you a class-act one)! But low-and-behold Summer Bay and our spokesman took care of us! They purchased our tickets for us and contacted The Tower for us to get our 2-day tickets straightened out! They were absolutely understanding about our situation and apologized about the telemarketers and explained they were trying to get out from underneath them all together. In the end Summer Bay impressed us with their resort so we bought. Of course we haven't gotten to visit yet and I am sure it will be a wonderful trip. The thought of owning something and not having to pay hotel prices just to visit Florida is a good feeling so far. I have read other peoples reviews and it just sounds like they had to deal with the same telemarketer I did so they shouldn't blame Summer Bay but the telemarketers because they will tell you what you want to hear to sell. The worst part of my trip was visiting MGM studios. They had too many people in their park to enjoy anything, we got to see 1 show and we were there all day! We waited 1 hour and 1/2 to see Mickey Mouse, which one of my children fell asleep before we made it. They were the worse part of my trip, also because their employees were as rude as they come, and it wouldn't have been worth paying their prices to get in. We visited Typhoon Lagoon the next day. They were packed and it took to 2pm to get in. Kids can't ride hardly any of the rides (which is the same problem for all their parks that they advertise for children) but they got to swim, which we could have done at the hotel. Our children had fun in the end and that was all that mattered. We just know that if we can give our children a chance to visit Florida and see everything (not just WDWorld) and them be able to return for the rest of their life without having to pay a dime for hotels we did something wonderful for them and their families in the future. There is just nothing we can do if they waste money on not so great parks! In closing give it a shot before you shoot it down and try to relax! Hopefully when we get to visit next year I can get on here and tell you what a wonderful time we had staying at Summer Bay!

• Stayed: July 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 24, 2005

Just got back from Summer Bay and had a great time. From the moment we checked in we found the staff very friendly and helpful. When we walked into our room we all said "wow". we stayed in a 2 bed condo with the superking size bed and spa bath in the master bedroom. The kitchen was well equiped and clean (as was the whole condo) with all the essentials provided, Washing up liquid, Tablets for the dishwasher, Washing powder and Bounce for the washer and dryer, soaps and shower gels etc. Even the towels were folded to the shape of animals which was a nice touch. We actually liked spending time in our room and as a conciquence had a far more relaxing time than we had anticipated, not needing to be shopping or at the parks just to get out of the room.
The resort was very well kept on the whole but the beach area was lacking the sparkle the rest of the resort had. We went down to the main pool area at night for a drink but the Karaoke was not to our taste so we didn't stay.
Summer Bay is a great place to base yourself as you are within a 30 minute drive to most places you would want to visit on a Florida holiday.
Just one thing that spoiled our holiday, we made a 28 minute phone call back to the UK, the pricing was not clear on the phone tariff instructions and was handed a $211 bill on checkout..this was ruduced by 30% when challenged but was the most expensive phone call iv'e ever made, buy a phonecard if you need to call home...

• Stayed: September 2005
25  Thank keeto17
Tuscaloosa, AL
Reviewed September 22, 2005

I am somewhat disheartened to hear some of the reviews that have been posted. My husband and I took our youngest child to the Resort in Gatlinburg, and we had such a fabulous time, we are going back this year with all three of our children for Christmas. The resort is impecably maintained, there is a world of activity to keep the kids occupied, and everyone having their own bedroom is a fantastic plus. We love Gatlinburg because there is so much to do there, and at Christmas the whole town just comes alive, more so than at any other time of year. If you haven't had the best of experiences with other summer bay resorts, I ask that you at least give these honest, intelligent guest service members a chance to redeem themselves, before you pass judgement on the entire enterprise.

Stayed: June 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed September 17, 2005

I was happily minding my own business when I got a call from summer bay they told me that they were part of the disney company. (I had recently been on their site and filled in the details and the option of entering a draw to win a holiday with them.) Not normally one to buy things over the phone I was taken in by the whole speel I'm afraid to say. It wasn't until after I put the phone down and did a little research on the internet I realised what I might be letting myself in for. At no point in the conversation was I told they were anything to do with time shares. They were very quick to gloss over the 90 min presentation and what was envolved in it. I did contact my local trading standards whom were very helpful they expained my rights etc. The very next day I contacted summer bay whom cancelled the whole package and refunded my money too. The only thing I lost was about £4 on the exchange rate. Fortunately I was lucky but it has taught me if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!

Stayed: June 2005
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 17, 2005

Summer Bay Resort is a nice resort for families. We stayed in a 2 bedroom that slept 8 people in Building 405, 3rd Floor, away from the elevator. The unit was clean and insect-free. The master bedroom had one King sized bed, the guest bedroom has two full sized beds and the living room and a queen sleeper sofa. There was a screened in patio, acessible through the living room and master BR.

The master BR had a jacuzzi, shower, high sink/ countertop, and a separate toilet area. There was adequate closet / drawer space.

For a unit that slept eight, the dining table only sat six. There was a counter that two more people may have been able to sit at, IF there were two more, higher chairs. For a full sized kitchen, the dishwasher was half-sized. The coffeemaker used paper filters and we had to buy coffee filters from the supermarket. No salt / pepper was provided. The refrigerator had an icemaker. The washer / dryer was the stacked design. The air conditioning worked great!

Building 405 was near the clubhouse, lake playground and main pool. The lake had activities, ie. jet ski and a giant blow-up trampoline that older kids liked jumping around / into the water from. The pool had a nearby bar and was heated. Most evenings, they had music at the pool. The childrens pool was not heated. To get pool towels, you had to go into the activity center and sign for them. The main pool is open 24 hours.

They had an onsite "waterpark" which was free and only open until 6 or 7 pm. The slide wasn't working so my daughter was disappointed. Otherwise, she really enjoyed this wet, splashy playground.

I was disappointed that this resort had NO restaurant on site. You could get hot snacks from the onsite gift shop. The location is up 192 WEST, almost at route 27. I think it was about 5-7 miles down 192 East to get to the exit for Disney. Traffic on 192 was not bad during our stay. There is a Publix supermarket just north of the resort on 192.

They were building additions to the resort. I did not participate in any timeshare presentation. We did not participate in any resort activities, other than using the pool / playground.

The resort provided a shuttle to Disney.

I would stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: August 2005
27  Thank MauiLea
Reviewed September 14, 2005

We stayed a week at Summer Bay in June 2005 and had a pretty good time at an "almost excellent". The resort had several pools which were all great for our 6 year old. The grounds were very clean and neat. There was adequate staff and the security was good (gated entrance with 24 hour guard). Our 2 bedroom room on the first floor was nice except for the stains on the bedroom carpet and the small " dot-like " bugs on the kitchen and bathroom counters. The decor of the room was modern and the appliances in the kitchen were new and clean. The bathroom tub, tiles and sink were also clean and in good repair. The resort was within 15 minutes of Disney and close to major stores and restaurants. I would recommend this resort but I think the price is a bit high. If our room had of been a little better I would have given it an excellent.

• Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank DLC99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#86 of 340 in Orlando
Liki Tiki Village
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!