“Worse than hell, READ THIS FIRST”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
A TripAdvisor Member
“Worse than hell, READ THIS FIRST”
Reviewed January 12, 2005

If you're planning on going to Orlando, DO NOT stay at this resort unless you truly want your vacation ruined. I'm a college student that has lived in cars, on floors, and at hotels, and I really believe that I'd take a basement over coming back to this place ever again.

To be objective, there were a few acceptable things Summer Bay did. Security guards at the entrance keep the place adequately secure. All rooms had free local calls, whirlpool bath, and washer/dryer with some free detergent. Kitchen had a stove and was stocked with silverware, cups, dishes, etc.

Now for the disturbing part. My family and I went just after New Year on the off-season. We had 5 people living in a 1 bdrm - 1 bed and 1 sleeper sofa. The resort didn't launder towels, which was ok, I guess. They didn't give us a blanket for the sofa bed, so we asked housekeeping to send one. What they gave us had grass stains, fleas, and ticks all over it. We chose not to use it, splitting the blankets from the main bed instead. The next morning though, all of us had bug bites covering our legs. We called the front desk to complain, and they said there was nothing to do. Actually, his exact words were, "Ma'am, did you wash the blankets?" Thus, if you expect a clean room here, this is impossible. We stayed in that room for another day and kept getting bitten. We switched rooms for our final night and continued to get bug bites in the new room too.

If this hasn't convinced you of what a roach motel Summer Bay is, you might want to read some of the other reviews. Also, this place uses so many timeshare tatics it's scary. They told us that they'd give us breakfast for telling them whether or not we wanted to buy (we didn't). Unfortunately, we didn't see thru the charade, and ended up being forced to ride around the property, waste 3 hours (we got up early to go to Universal, they said it'd only be 90 minutes), and only ate cereal. We kept telling the guy that we didn't want to buy, and he sent a bunch of managers and accused us of taking advantage of their company. Ridiculous. I guess that's our fault we didn't see it coming, so remember to say no to any free offers.

Also, their staff should get a negative 5 stars for hospitality. Call their resort and you will always be put on hold for 5 minutes before getting a rep. When we told them about the bug problem, they ignored us, saying the didn't want to see the flea and that it wasn't their problem. In fact, they said that we absolutely couldn't switch rooms, until all of us went down to the office, showed the scars, and demanded it. The office is always overcrowded during the day time and timeshare salesmen block all the entrances so that walking 30 yds means hitting 4 or 5 reps. They tend to answer all requests with a "No" or "you have to pay___." Our rooms didn't even come with shampoo or lotion. Their attitudes are also terrible. All reps I spoke to tended to say "Ma'am, I'm busy" while they took personal phone calls or ran off to assist potential timeshare buyers right when it was my turn in line.

Bad service, bad attitude, disgusting rooms. Trust me, you don't want to be here. Contact me if you still have questions - I'm a real person who really went there.

60 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Reviewed December 28, 2004

My husband, mother, and son and I just got back from Summer Bay resorts. I got the package off of Direct Tv. We had to do a time share there. After reading all of these horrible reviews I was extremly nervous. We got there, and the worst thing that happened was that they couldnt find us in the computer. We waited about 45 minutes, and she just let us stay in the 2 bedroom Villa. We had paid extra to stay in a condo, but were only allowed to stay in the Villa. The condo's are nicer, but the Villas are also very very nice. 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, and full kitchen and washer and dryer. Not only that but when you are in the orlando area, you are never in your room anyway. They have like 3 or 4 pools, and a tiki bar, mini golf, kid playland, and activities. It really is a beautiful resort, and I would stay there again forsure. It did take about 2 1/2 hours for timeshare, but it was cool, got a little boat ride too. Very friendly. Yeah, they try to pressure you, but what time share doesnt. I just want to let anyone know that it was not a joke, and Im not sure what the hotel accomodations is, but it is worth to upgrade to a villa, if not you might be sorry. Feel free to email me and ask any questions you might have. Ohh by the way, you must rent a car. Its not an option. My husband and I took a cab one night because we dont drink and drive and it came to 90 dollars round trip to get to city walk. It is quite far from all the attractions. They offer shuttles at Summer Bay, but they charge like 18 a person, and it is only ran on certain times. Drop me a line if youd like. bayleeb246@comcast.net

• Stayed December 2004
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 7, 2004

Summer Bay Resorts bought our timeshare company in Las Vegas last year. It formerly was Leisure Resorts and before that Ramada Vacation Suites. Summer Bay imposed new and additional fees on the owners along with reservation restrictions without informing the Owners. I talked with a Summer Bay Customer Representative during a visit there this October. She stated that the Covenants and Restrictions that came with my original purchase in 1987 were not applicable. I asked for the address of her superior, which she gave me. I sent him a certified, return receipt letter on 20 October, 2004 raising some legal questions about Summer Bay's operation and no one has answered my letter as of today, 8 December. I find this behavior very arrogant and repulsive. I will probably end up in a legal battle with Summer Bay Resorts.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond, California
Reviewed November 15, 2004

Have you ever met someone off the internet based soley on their pic, and when you arrived the person looked completely different-if so, the summer bay resort will hold no surprises. The "resort" is a collection of old apartment buildings painted the same awful color. The apartment I stayed in had some problems, but you get what you pay for. If all you require is a clean place to stay then the SBR will do, if you're picky then you should spend more money and pass this place by. The staff were friendly and housekeeping occassionally stops by.

If you're into ghetto living or you love staying at the Circus Circus Manor then Summer Bay is the spot!

12 Thank JayBeeCA
Reviewed November 14, 2004

We visited the Summer Bay Resort in the middle of October, and I have to say it was wonderful!! We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and they had a blast playing in the different pools! We stayed in the Villas, and the room was the perfect size for a family of 4. We had our own car which helped out, but we saw people getting on the shuttle all day!! I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 27, 2004

We blindly booked our Orlando vacation at the Summer Bay Resort!! We are a family of 7, 2 adults and 5 kids! When we arrived the front office staff wasn't the best and gave us our unit key. When we arrived at the condo, it was under construction (remodeling) so we went back to the front desk. The manager happened to be at the desk at this point and heard we'd been directed to a unit that was under construction and she got us another unit right away!! WOW, what a surprise. Our room was immaculate!! Very roomy, clean, great view, we've never stayed at a nicer place! My husband was so impressed (and yes, he's hard to please). The pools were great, the landscaping is nice, a great location. We would definately recommend this resort to anyone who asks and would stay here again! The sales people called once and we told them we were on vacation and didn't want to be bothered with sales pitches. They never called again. Overall, it was excellent and we're looking to stay again next year!!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 21, 2004

I don't think I need to re-write all of the worst case scenarios that have already been written about on this site. Summer Bay is the WORST! We were bilked out of $198. There were no more rooms available at Summer Bay (so they say) so we too were switch to a "comparable" facility, Island Club. But wait ... we were given a "premium room!" I thought that would count for something. The scam artist at the Welcome Center raved about how much nicer the Island Club was. She said it was newer and the health club was so nice that the employees always go there.

When we got to the Island Club we waited for several hours before our room was available. The housekeeping people would not respond to the check-in person. And check-in ... that was a guard station! People were in a long line standing in the hot sun and then the rain checking into a guard shack! This is no lie and no exaggeration. I have never seen anything like it before in my life! I thought that was the worst part, until we got our key and entered our "premium" room. I gasped when I opened the door! The room was probably 12 x 12 with two nasty beds, an old worn-out dresser and a TV that's been around longer than I have!!! There were no towels, soap or washclothes in the bathroom. The carpet was so dirty I would never take my shoes off in that place. It took me a good 15 minutes to get the TV on and tuned to a channel. My husband was not feeling well and (I believe) was getting sicker by the minute from the dust in that filthy room. Even Motel 6 gives you towels and wash clothes!! A Motel6 room would've been an upgrade from this place. I about lost it! I went to the lobby of the owner check-in center and I made them call the manager at Hilton Head Guest services which is the company I paid for this lousy vacation. Quickly sensing that I was not in the mood for their bullcrap, they switched us to the Holiday Inn Express. It's okay if you like dank, dingy hotels. To each his own, but that's not our style. Immediately upon arriving for the 90-minute presentation, I told our sales person we would NOT be purchasing a time share from him and that I would never do business with SummerBay. That pretty much took the wind out of his "sales" (pitch)! He had nowhere to go with a rebuttal. I told him up front, "It ain't gonna happen, Buddy!"

We were so furious at our experience, we could hardly enjoy our trip to Universal. We checked out early and came back home. SummerBay/Hilton Head Guests Services are both refusing to give us our money back. Eddie Avigno left me a message that he was calling to see if he could "resolve" my complaint. When I called him back, all he did was waste my time. I should bill him for my cellphone minutes he took up. He was a complete waste of time. Their excuse is that we already took the vacation, so we're not entitled to our money back. Excuse me, but how else did they expect we would know we would have a lousy time unless we went? If I could have seen into the future, I would've let their initial sales call go to voicemail and I wouldn't be in this predicament!!

I will be contacting the Atlanta office of the BBB and our local Attorney General's Office regarding this scam! If you haven't already been suckered by them, if they call you, "Just Say No!"

22 Thank MizzPeachy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
#6 of 17 in Clermont
Floridays Resort Orlando
Floridays Resort Orlando
#21 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!