“How Could This Be Happening!!!”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
A TripAdvisor Member
“How Could This Be Happening!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2004

I just can not believe that this people could scam in this way. I should have stuck to my guns, because @ first I kept telling them that I was only interested in the free stay @ the hotel but I let them talk me into paying $100.00 as a deposit. The rep gave me a promotional codes that I tried out while the rep. was on the phone. One month later I wanted to set up my vacation so I went to the website and enter the code and my e-mail and there was not site that matched or available. I checked the company out on the BBB website and the promotional code site was registered. I tried to call them with the phone number they gave me but I was unable to reach a live person. I will be reporting this complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I think that anyone with a complaint should report to the Better Business Bureau or these people will continue to get rich off of poeple like us.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Reviewed May 26, 2004

My fiancé booked a timeshare package with marketing company for Summer Bay Resort after “winning” a thousand vacation dollars (or at least that’s what the pop-up said). The package involved 3nights/2days in Orlando, 2n/1d in Daytona, 5d/4n in Cancun, two theme park tickets and a free cruise in Daytona. She knew that we would never get to go to Cancun, so the sales rep sweetened the pot by adding an additional 2days/1night in Orlando.
My fiancé ended up paying a few hundred dollars for the package + taxes. In addition, she needed a kitchen to cook in since she doesn’t eat takeout, so she ended up paying an extra $49 a night in order to upgrade to a 1 bedroom condo with a kitchen. She booked us to stay in Orlando from April 15th –18th 2004.
After arriving at the welcome center , we found out that there were no rooms available at the Summer Bay resort. We were told that we were going to be placed in a comparable resort (Island Club resort) since we paid for the 1-bedroom condo upgrade. I can not speak for their other rooms, but the 1-bedroom at Island Club is crap. After trying to open the lock for about 5 minutes (it’s a key lock that jams all the time), we steeped inside the room and found to our surprise that we were standing in the bedroom, kitchen, and dining room AT THE SAME TIME. IT’S A STUDIO. The kitchen consists of a microwave, a mini fringe and a sink (no stove/oven) and the TV did not work (couldn’t get cable, couldn’t hook up my portable DVD). Oh yeah, we had to use a chain bolt to close the door since the lock does not work from the inside. It was late and since the welcome center was closed, we found ourselves being stuck at this “comparable” resort.
Early the next morning, my fiancé called ahead and found out that a manager will be in at around 8am or 8:30am. At 8am we went to the welcome center to change our accommodations, but were informed that they could not do anything without a manager and that a manager is not scheduled to come in until late morning/midday. My fiancé was famished by now since, as I mentioned before, she does not eat takeout and there was no stove to cook on at the Island Club. Consequently, we were not going to take no for a answer and remained at the receptionist table until about 8:20am when a manager showed up. The manager told us that someone had cancelled their reservations the night before (how convenient) and that they could now book us at the Summer Bay Resort. BTW – you will notice that the positive reviews are all from people who ended up staying at the Summer Bay resort. Mind you, the resort itself was very nice but the whole experience with the marketing company was horrible. I, for one, will not separate the resort and the marketing company. It’s really funny that although the timeshare is for a Summer Bay property, and although the voicemail for the marketing center says “Summer Bay message center”, the resort itself tried to separate themselves from the marketing company. Summer Bay knows what is going on and allows the marketing company use their (Summer Bay’s) name to exploit tourists since they (Summer Bay) are profiting from the timeshare purchase.
I later found out that the marketing company owns about 15 rooms at Summer Bay resort. What they do is book as much people as they can by telling everyone that they will be staying at Summer Bay resorts and then put them up in a cheaper place (Holiday Inn or Island Club). They ultimately make the 15 rooms available for other guests or for those who, like us, complained a lot. In case you don’t know, the 2 free theme park tickets are made available to anyone who sits through the timeshare. I’ve also heard that the cruise in Daytona Beach is a also free.
If you are thinking about purchasing this vacation package, I suggest/implore/beg that you do not.

113 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2004

I can not belive I fell for this scam! I have gone on the timeshare tours before in the Orlando area, and have never come across any buisness like this before. My husband answered a survey and bought into the package for $299. The following night I called to place my reservations. Then was told that it was going to be $49.00 for a booking fee. So we paid that. Then you need to call a reservation line, so I did that, another $11 a night and it depends on who you talk to what exactly that $11 is for. I thought for about a minute and called right back to try and cancel. I got the worst customer service rep. I have ever come across! He refused to let me speak to a manager, told me I was a liar, and ---- out of luck!! So I hung up and tried to call back and get someone who was not going to yell at me, needless to say that didn't happen. I figured I got taken for @$450.00, that is not very good buisness for Holiday Inn, which I will tell everyone I know or even the ones I don't, how horrible this company is!

39 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2004

Summer bay resort is a rip off. After purchasing a vacation package from them, they now have my credit card number and just charged me 55 dollars for service I havn't even recieved. I made reservation 3 weeks ago and canceled the next day. I was told there wouldn't be any charge yet because of my canceleation, but was charge 55 dollars 3 days ago. Be careful who you give your credit card # to.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 18, 2004

no words to even begin. read and beware!!! a lomg story short: "fell" for the scam. bought pckg. deal for 399$. came time to shedule plans, reserved date for vacation paid another 49$s, was told would receive receipt, plus verification of dates, accommodations, etc...when i NEVER received either one, i called back the tel. no's i was given, i was sent "half way around the world" like a yo yo told my name doesnt even come up and every single person i had ever spoken to couple days before (i wrote all their names down) ceased to exist, now a couple days later! i spoke to some of the same people (they had the same voice) but they denied being called the names they had given me just days earlier.....i have no date or receipt for my trip and NO ONE to talk to about it! (---)

31 Thank tweety123456
Reviewed May 16, 2004

wow, am i glad i did not fall for this scam!!!
iopened a email with this "you won 2 nights & 3 days hotel stay, wowo this was great!!, the one area was exactly where we were headed for vacation!! i thought , great what timing, well i called & of course got the sales pitch, but mine was for $249- & had 18mo. to useit!! well i said i dont even have that in my account, so i was offered it for $198!!! wow!, i thought what a deal, going to florida & only paying $200 that would be better than Dolly wood , tennessee, right?, uh, wrong!!!
thank god she told me that she nedded 35-45 days of notice to use this & my husband only had 1 week of vaction & we were leaving in 2 days so we wouldnt be able to use it!! She then did preeceed to tell me where to go to get the "free" hotel, &lone & behold, after 15 mins. i gave up, there was no such website!! watch matchstickmen, good movie, thats this deal!! Scam written all over it!!! i was lucky though, but i ve read some were not!!!, dont even give it a second thoughgt, dont even check into it!!!

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2004

We stayed at the Summer Bay resort in April and were very impressed with the size of the rooms. It was fully kitted out with everything you would need for self - catering. The staff were friendly and helpful. The resort was clean and well run. There are some building works going on but this doesn't interfere in anyway with your stay. l felt very safe and wished we had had more time to enjoy everything the resort had to offer. We were not hassled in anyway by anything to do with the time-share aspect. For £50 per night l thought it was a good deal.

• Stayed April 2004
10 Thank mariechez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 339 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!