“Could be better”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
New York
“Could be better”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Summer Bay during the week of Aug 11th -18th. This was unfortunately the week of the sink hole incident. As this was probably unforeseen and according to Floridians, a common event, I will only comment on management's insensitivity to those who were not residents of Florida. There was no communication provided to the other Villas, no attempt to accommodate for the loss of services or the inconvenience felt by everyone staying at the resort. When I say accommodate, I am referring to something as small as a free DVD rental or a meal at the restaurant while your services was down. That would have gone a long way to acknowledging and getting the pulse on how your guest were feeing.

Now let's discuss what they do know. Yes, I agree we go on vacation to explore the area, but my accommodations should also entice. Having said that, the units are antiquated, in immediate need of updating. The furnishings are dark and a throwback to the late 80's, making the environment feel drab. Although clean, you do not get that feeling of a vacation as you spend more time getting acclimated to the interior. This applies to all aspects of the unit, to include the kitchen and bathroom. For what Summer Bay advertises, they fall considerably short.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank SerenityNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was in building 107, unit 104 from Sept. 12 through Sept. 24. The unit is nicely furnished, the queen bed is comfortable and the kitchen is adequately equipped. We really enjoyed the large salt water pool at the clubhouse with its lake view. The security force is cordial but attentive.

Housekeeping leaves a bit to be desired. Apparently, they think swishing a dirty mop around on the tile floor is cleaning. I kept having to wash my feet because they were black. The dishwasher was worthless. We had some people directly above us who were running and jumping at 6 AM, 7 PM, 11 PM. We called security once and got 45 minutes of peace.

I would advise being very direct that you expect cleanliness and quiet. The top floor would be more quiet, but if you take kids ask for 1st floor so they don't disturb people below you. If you don't want their sales presentation, SAY NO. They will really bug you about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Terry H
Springdale, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Our first time staying here, we enjoyed ourselves. We were not there much, only used the pool / water park one evening. It was great to gave a washer/dryer. They give you enough supplies for 1 wash, bring some single travel tide or something to avoid buying full sized soap down there. Publix was really close. We bought snacks and breakfast foods - highly recommend. Had a 1 room suite, nice enough and clean, but nothing fancy. Easy check-in and check out. Did not do the "free" breakfast, so we didn't have to listen to the time share info. Would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Rebecca R
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed at Summer Bay from Sept. 20 to Sept 24th in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in Bldg 502. We were permitted to check in early, as soon as we got there, around 1 p.m.Pools were great and hot tub was huge. Activities could have been better seemed cut back from summertime. Balcony was small but had a nice view. Dining table was for 4 even though room was for 8. The biggest problem I had was that as soon as I put food out in the room these black bugs were all over it. They were not ants and not fruit flies but some sort of combination. Also I never knew about these love bugs that are in Florida twice a year in May and September. They do not bite but are annoying. My husband was not with me on this trip so could not do a tour but as soon as I got to my room I received a phone call asking about a tour. So I just explained again that my husband was not here and I did not get another call. Definitely far from Disney but they have a free shuttle. In March I stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and would stay there before Summer Bay as it was much nicer and right on Disney property.

4 Thank Eva P
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at Summer Bay Resorts from September 15 - 22, 2013. I was in building 107 in a 2BR unit. HIGHS: The space was good. The master bedroom had a King bed, closet, dresser, tv, 2 night stands with drawers and private full bath. The kitchen was small but perfect for a vacation. It had all the equipment and dishes necessary to be able to create nearly any meal. The living and dining area was adequate with a 50inch (?) flat screen tv. The second bedroom had 2 twin beds, closet, dresser, 1 night stand with drawers and tv. The common bathroom was a full 4 piece. The grounds were nice. Resort was larger than I expected with several pools. There was a nice list of activities for children and adults (crafts, games, pampering, etc) and most were complimentary. Big Kahunas Tiki bar was next to one pool. They showed the football games there since you could not see them in your room. All of the staff that I came into contact with was friendly. The proximity to Disney was very convenient only about 20 minutes. The Publix grocery store was practically a part of the property and Denny's was actually onsite. LOWS: There are roaches. I know that this is a common theme in Florida but I am from Connecticut and I don't want to see them in my room. The property was clean but I still saw 2 very large Palmetto bugs and 1 standard (?) roach in the living room/kitchen. I love baths and the water was never hot enough for me. The dishwasher is not very good so hand washing was a better option and they provided soap. The timeshare presentation was 3 hours not 90 minutes. At check in it was presented like it was a mandatory part of the stay not handing over your parking permit until you signed up. The new units were impressive, the program was reasonable and the representative was pleasant but he could have altered his subject matter. I do not have kids and he kept encouraging me that I should or that I would regret it later like every woman. I found it inappropriate.

Overall the property was nice but the in room bugs alone would weigh heavily on my decision to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RCH215
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just returned from staying at Summer Bay Resort and loved it! We have stayed at many different resorts and private pool homes and this by far was my best buy ever! Got a steal for the week from Sky Auction and was amazed at how nice the 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit was. We were in a building all by ourselves. It was modern, clean and we lacked for nothing. Pools were beautiful, especially the salt water one. My only complaint about the resort was that my internet was out the whole time we were there. I did go to the pool and was able to connect. Will definately go back.

3 Thank Karen&Joe
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We reserved 2 -3 BR units this past week and had a wonderful family vacation with 2 of our children, their spouses and 4 grandchildren ages 3-5 years old while visiting Disney. We were in building #405 directly across from the activity center with 2 adjoining rooms on the 3rd floor, and were greeted at the gate by our personal concierge (a new program); Henry, who took us directly to our units, gave us an update on all amenities, brochures on Disney, along with all resort schedule, etc. What a wonderful way to check in and avoid the hassle of high pressure sales people after traveling. Henry did invite us to a breakfast for more info but he was not trying to sell timeshare, only to make our visit more enjoyable. He did say we could do a timeshare presentation if we wanted, but he was not in sales. We received no calls about presentations during the week,(unplugged the room phones, had cell phones). We truly enjoyed our 2nd visit to this resort; 1st was 15 years ago and what a difference in size, buildings, amenities, etc.
The amenities are excellent, many pools ( nearly 1 for each building) & lots of daily activities. Our grandchildren especially enjoyed the Kid's waterpark and the Build A Buddy activity at the Activity Center where they built their own stuffed animal for only $10.00.
The rooms wee exceptionally clean, well stocked, and we had everything in supplies needed for the week.
If possible, be sure to attend The Dueling Pianos on Thursday night At The Big Kahuna for some real enjoyable entertainment. The food is good and reasonably priced.

7 Thank Don F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
#6 of 17 in Clermont
Floridays Resort Orlando
Floridays Resort Orlando
#21 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!