I read some of the negative reviews on here and wondered if these people stayed at the same resort we did. We just returned form a week long stay at a 2 bedroom condo at Summer Bay Resort. It is the first time we have ever stayed here, but have stayed at plenty of other resorts in the area (Orange Lake, Polynesian Isles, Vistana, Kingstown Reef, etc.). Summer Bay was a very good resort. We arrived at 2PM on check-in day...they checked us in, but our room wasn't ready yet (check-in is at 4), so they took our cell phone number and told us they would call when the room was ready. While I expected it would be a long wait, we left and went to get a late lunch around the corner and they called us just as we sat down. All I had to do was go back and pick up the key, The resort staff will have you check-in at the activities desk to "validate" your parking pass, but they are really just trying to schedule you for the timeshare sales breakfast. I politely declined after they gave me their 2-minute explanation of what it was about. They didn't push any further, although the office called once a day during the week (after politely declining again in the first call, we just didn't answer the phone anymore. Anyone who needed to get ahold of us had our cell phone numbers...even the resort, but they never used my cell phone to pester me about the timeshare sales tour).
The 2 bedroom condo unit we had was spacious, clean, up to date, and had a nice view of the lake. Parking was ample and very close to the room. The pool was open 24/7 (unlike many resorts we have stayed at), which was nice if you wanted to go swimming at 1AM after a long day at the parks. The unit was equipped with everything you would need and expect from a resort, including everything you need to prepare your own meals. The location was very good. While it is near the west end of SR-192, it is still just a short 15-20 minute drive to the Disney theme parks and the traffic was much less than I remember it being on SR-192 east of I-4. If you are going to Universal, that is a bit of a drive. It is a little over an hour drive to the beaches (Cocoa Beach on the east coast or St Pete Beach on the Gulf side). There are a ton of dining choices within 1-5 miles of the resort (we didn't dine at the resort, so I can't speak to their offerings). We spent all of our pool time at the main pool by the check-in desk. The pool uses salt water (vice chlorine), so that was a bit of a surprise when we first got in....but it was fine...no chlorine burn or smell, but after several hours in the pool you can feel a bit like you have been pickled! It is still less irritating than chlorine.
The beds were all queen sized in the 2-bedroom condo. Not sure why the master bedroom didn't have a king size (which would have been a plus). It seemed there was enough room for a King. We normally sleep on a top of the line Sleep Number bed, so the bed at the resort was not the most comfortable to us....but, having said that, we found it more comfortable than the average bed.you find at a mid-grade hotel.
The unit had a nice patio (not screened in) off from the living room and master bedroom with a table and 4 chairs. The patio had a nice view of the lake behind the resort. They also had gas grills for your use....probably 20 feet outside of our unit. There was also a nice shaded walkway along the lake that also ran behind our unit.
Finally, our only real complaint was that the family above us had a young child who ran laps around the unit pretty much anytime they were at the resort and would jump up and down off the beds. This was not the resort's fault...and we didn't make an issue of it....but it was definitely an annoyance at times. Having had small children, we understand (to a degree). But you think they would have had the common courtesy to tell their children to calm down a bit out of respect for the people below them. We didn't hear the adults moving around, but that kid with the jumping and running definitely could be heard.
We saw no bugs until the last night there.....when we saw one small palmetto bug on the ceiling of the second bedroom. Having lived 6 years in Florida, this didn't cause us any alarm. We know that even when you spray regularly these little buggers still find their way inside. They are part of the environment in Florida (just like the lizards) I blame my son for leaving some food on his night stand.
Overall, we recommend this place as a very good resort....clean, up to date, pleasant, roomy, and enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you seek relaxation, exploration, or inspiration, Summer Bay Orlando by Exploria Resorts has something for the whole family. Experience a luxury family destination that delivers the thrill of Orlando's world-renown attractions with the comforts of a leisure getaway. Enjoy all the highlights of our 400-acre lavishly landscaped resort and 64-acre private lake, located a mere 10 minutes from Walt Disney World Resort. Summer Bay Orlando is the perfect Florida getaway for family, fun, and freedom.Luxury accommodations: Why settle for a cramped room when you can settle into a spacious sanctuary? From roomy hotel accommodations to two or three bedroom fully furnished condominiums, we've got you covered with home-style comfort. Enjoy a homemade dinner with the family. Step out on your balcony to watch a glorious Florida sunset. Or take the night off and watch a movie on your flat screen TV. Stress-free park hopping: hop on our complimentary shuttle to Epcot(R), Magic Kingdom(R) Park or Universal Studios Florida(R).Fun in the sun: Whether your goal is a relaxing escape or a spectacular adventure, Summer Bay Orlando can fulfill your desire with a host of activities, amenities, and dining options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Vacatia, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Summer Bay Hotel Clermont
- Summer Bay Resort Orlando
- Summer Bay Resorts