“Lots of activities for the kids.”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Cap-Haitien, Haiti
“Lots of activities for the kids.”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Nice place to stay. Had daily activities for kids. Variety of outdoor settings from fishing on the lake to poolside entertainment. My only complaint would be the lack of soundproofing. We could hear children running around above us constantly. This made me worry about our children being too loud.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Snazzynana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stay at Time Shares a lot as we enjoy the extra space we get with one bedroom and two bedroom units and enjoy having a kitchen when traveling with the kids. Many timeshares can be older and worn down and many new ones may have great units/rooms, but are more condo like and lack hotel/resort style amenities. Summer Bay has the best of both worlds with modern, well equipped and clean units, but also many amenities that you would expect at a top quality resort. It has multiple large pools with poolside bars and restaurants, it has a lake with a beach with many water sports and activities. It even has a small kids water park with climbers and slides and sprayers. Everything is in good condition and the staff are nice.
As with many time shares, depending on how you are booked, you may not be getting daily or any maid service, so keep that in mind.
Finally the question everyone wants to know, is it close to Disney? The answer is yes, it is about a 15 minute drive. However, it is a little farther away from some of the other main drags, but in Orlando you are never from from restaurants and attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 500 buildings to be close to the new pool area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jginbos
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here in August for our anniversary. Just for a few days so we can get a little R & R before the kids returned to school. The grounds and pools are well maintained. We like that there are a few pools to choose from so we get a little change of scenery. The room we got was nice but a little small. The service was good. However they try to invite you for a free breakfast or lunch and are super nice. But I told them we were not interested in the free meals and they quickly hung up. Obviously they were trying to sell me a time share. We are already owners of this place. So needless to say I was a little disappointed with it. There were some nice people in the activities center where our kids went to. Really disappointed with the fact there is no free wi-fi except at the clubhouse. They have computers there too but you have to pay for use of it. Even the cheapest hotels give you free access to the internet. I liked the planned activities at the pool/clubhouse the best and didn't like the service nor the small rooms. We will be back in November and hopefully it will be a little better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Majestic69
Thevillages.Fl
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was our second attempt to stay at Summerbay resort with a special booking for us to
attend the sales presentation. the first one put us up at the motel across the streeet = awful
and it is NOT open at this time. WE had to change rooms 2 times to find one that was satis-
factory. This week we went back for the 2nd time, this time booked into the resort itself. But
when we arrived there we were NOT allowed, "per new rules" to stay as we were cohabitors
and could not go thru the program. This meant we lost our initial payment, to hold the
reservation, of $199.00. WE had a second couple with us who were also going to the sales
presentation to look seriously at the time share program. We had return home, 2 hr car ride,
without anything, but upset, embarassed for our friends with us, and vowing to get com-
pensated for our time to be a part of their program. Wonder if others have had same problem.
WE are an older couple well into 70's, and certainly would enjoy having the time share to use
on our treks to the Orlando area on golf outings. But they will never call us again I firmly don't
believe. WE were able to contact managers the following day, but not with much satisfaction
other than to verbalize our feelings regarding the treatment we received. Think long and hard
about taking advantage of the time share sales program.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank George D
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Pros: The grounds, pools and play areas were very nice and kept clean, the staff were friendly and there were lots of fun activities for the family during the day
Cons: There is no wi-fiI. If you do want to use the wi-fi its $40 a week per device. So my family has 3 iPhones, 2 iPads and 1 lap top. That would have cost us $240 for that week. FYI - the Magic Kingdom has free wi-fi. I saw at least 5 cockroach like bugs a day in and around the room some on the ceiling, the balcony and in the kitchen. The tiled floor of the unit looks clean but having 2 children running around barefoot their soles of their feet/socks were black. In the second bathroom the shower didn't drain fast enough so every night you had to shower in ankle deep water. I certainly will not be recommending that place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Tarynl80
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at Summer Bay Resort, which is just as lovely as described on their website. The "villa" (really a condo) was clean, well-maintained, and nicely furnished. The pools, grounds and public spaces are terrific. My complaint is that there were huge, numerous, "palmetto bugs". These look more like flying roaches. I made sure to wear sandals at night if I got up to run to the bathroom. My husband was awakened 2 nights in a row by a bug crawling up his arm. He found another bug in the swimsuit he hung up to dry. We also saw several more during our week there. I saw other reviews mentioning roaches, but I decided to give Summer Bay the benefit of the doubt. After all, it's Florida, occasionally a bug finds its' way in. I'm sorry to say the bug problem in our unit was unacceptable. Stay here only if you are not grossed out by huge roach-like bugs. Also of note - I called the front desk to report the problem. At check-out I again mentioned it, and was referred to the manager. The front desk clerk had not noted my call. The manager apologized politely but made no effort to compensate us for the unacceptable bug situation, and no reason to give this place another try.

Room Tip: Request a unit that has no record of a bug problem.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank 93CathyH
MD
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012. We had a 2BR, 2BA condo. It was very nice. Initially they put us on the ground floor since we have a young baby. However, at 6am while I was nursing my baby in bed, I felt something crawl up my arm. It was a palm tree bug (big flying roach looking thing). I screamed, the baby screamed, my husband woke up with a start, and my parents came rushing into the room. Thank goodness my husband kept his cool and took care of the bug.
We walked over to the lobby afterwards and told them what happened and they quickly set us up on a 3rd floor condo in the 500 buildings. Which had higher ceilings. lots more light, and seemed much cleaner with better kept utilities. They apologized but did not offer us anything but the room change. Which was fine, but a voucher of sorts would have been nice.

The baby pool was great, but our baby was too small at the time to fully enjoy it (7 months). And the water was really really cold. We did take him across the street to one of the bigger pools that were heated and he liked it much better. My dad enjoyed the various hot tubs and went pool/ hot tub hoping as he pleased. We grocery shopped at the Publix (I think) which was a 2 min drive away. We took the baby on stroller walks b/w his naps. My parents loved that extra time with him along with their own room and bathroom. The place seemed very safe and family friendly. We would return sooner, but I think with an RCI exchange you can only come once every year or so. We didn't take advantage of all of the entertainment/activities with the little to care for. The "beach" is not a beach but rough sand on the lake (ewww). There are plenty of gorgeous beaches in FL, I wouldn't go near this lake "beach".

The appliances were all fine. The washer/drying was a great help. However, it wiggled so much from being used (only did like 3 loads), it ended up on the other side of the closet! haha They provided the essentials, but all very basic. Our MB bed was saggy and my parents complained about their pillow being smelly. Ours smelled fine I guess. Older furniture, but was adequate.

All in all, a great place for the grandparents to spend quality time with baby and to relax. We would definitely return when baby is older (at least old enough to enjoy the kiddie pool/playground). I would recommend a 3rd floor condo in the 500, 600, or 700 buildings (I heard these were all recently renovated). And I can say the 500 building was really nice.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room unless you really REALLY need it. There are elevators that are fai...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luvliboo22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#85 of 339 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!