“100 percent smoking family resort”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Did an RCI exchange 9 months in advance. When we arrived, (early) we were told our room was not ready yet. after several inquires at the check-in desk they told us our room would be ready by 4:00. Still waiting at 4:30, we asked for the manager. What a jerk, he told us they do not guarantee a 4:00 check-in and the room was still being cleaned. Eventually, we were giving a key, went to our assigned villa and found the maid still cleaning (or taking an extended break). Not wanting to wait in the heat any longer, we told her the unit was fine. It was not, our villa was in the ghetto, supposedly refurbished with a view of the neighbors. It was clean enough but still smelled of cigarettes, luckily the windows opened and it became less apparent the next day. Later in the week, I was informed that there aren't any no-smoking rooms. Many of the better and not so better resorts and all non-smoking. Upon reading the owner manual in the room, it was stressed "no pets allowed", seems they are more concerned about fleas than cancer, asking that you leave the resort, fine you $300 and you have to pay for an exterminator. So, smoke your brains out but leave Fido at home! Other than that, the kids activities were great and the pools were welcome. Had no trouble getting out of the timeshare tour as we let our frustration be know immediately.

Room Tip: stay in a newer unit
3  Thank frugel-traveler

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm all for making the best out of a situation which what I did. I booked thru timeshare (90min tour).
The room was obviously not cleaned well, the iron fell from the wall, the telephone base was dirty, and the bathroom had an odor coming frI'm it.
They did have someone come into clean, and mount the clothes iron back on the wall. My pics speak for themselves.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank cerenep
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We booked our reservations with Summer Bay Resort a month in advanced. We drove 6 hours to go on our dream vacation. Five minutes before arriving I received a phone call on my mobile stating that my reservations had been changed to Tuscana Resort. of course my husband and I were furious, but decided to go to the Welcome Center to check in.
The manager at the welcome center, located at Denny's was very rude. He first offered my family to stay in a two bed hotel room after we insisted on staying on the property. Finally, my husband asked to speak with his manager, whom in fact, did nothing to assist us. He told us that all the rooms were booked and they didn't have another townhouse available.
While waiting for my husband to speak with another manager, another couple came and checked in to stay on the resort. Of course this made us furious. So we asked if you had no rooms available why were they able to check in. That's when his female assistant stated that they had booked their reservations 6 months in advanced. Then I observed the same lady write a note saying, "Hold off on checking the next guest in." I immediately called her on it and they called security. Security stood around as we continued to resolve the issue.
We ended up going to Tuscana Resort where the staff was much friendlier; however, there was not much to do for the kids. Please do not book with this resort. They are swindlers and very unprofessional.

Stayed: July 2012
11  Thank Asolom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

What an amazing resort. We had a two bedroom condo (using an rci exchange) which was clean, spacious and perfect for our family of four with two young children. The pools were fantastic, and stayed open until 11 pm, which really helped with the heat of Florida in June.
The lake beside the resort made for a great time too, with the inflatables and swim vests so that even the little one could participate. You payed $10/person for the day, which was reasonable considering the inflatables were up from early in the morning until 7 pm at night. The one caveat was that all ages participated, so sometimes things got a bit crowded, or even rowdy. I think the resort could have monitored that a bit more closely, as the posted rules were not followed nor enforced.
We especially loved the activity center, where you could find a great variety of crafts to do throughout the week, some free, some at a price. A note about the price of the crafts - I payed $6/ tie dye t shirt, which is incredibly reasonable. I'm guessing that the cost of the crafts you pay for really just helps to cover the costs for the activity center, which seemed more than fair to me. Many of the free crafts were of excellent quality and "keepers"' meaning my kids loved them and brought them home as treasured keepsakes - such as sand-art bottles and foam journals. This was a highlight for us.
Finally, we ended each day with a trip down to the dock, using a $10 fishing rod from Walmart with hotdogs as bait, where we caught tons of fish and on our last night, a fair sized turtle! All catch and release. For two little boys, this was heaven.
This was one of our best family vacations ever, there was so much to do, we were reluctant to leave at the end of our trip. Loved it loved it loved it!

9  Thank skybybyblue
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I just got back from a two week vacation in Orlando. I spent the first week at Bonnet Creek and the second week at Summer Bay "boy what a big difference". I felt totally downgraded at Summer Bay. Summer Bay is a resort I would not recommend to any family. First of all we had roaches in our room,the second bedroom for the kids was too cramped compared to Bonnet Creek there was no grater to grate some cheese, you had to pay for Wi-Fi $10.00 ,even Red Roof Inn have Wi-Fi.The jacuzzi tub did not work. After the presentation you were forced to buy extra theme park tickets which were more expensive than going to the actual theme park to purchase. Overall I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank redds_l
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and her entire family stayed in 2-2Bedroom condos at the Summer Bay resorts. The rooms were amazing and everything we could have imagined. It was part of our time share points exchange and was well worth it. Even if we didnt have the points exchange program would still stay here. Pools were very nice and located conviently. They have a Lake on site with inflatable toys. such as a slide, trampoline, and and wobbly thing i cant really describe. Even as an adult they were very fun to play on. They have a very convienant onsite place to buy tickets to all theme parks disney, universal, busch gardens, etc. It was very nice avoiding lines and getting thsoe on site. They also have a shuttle available to take you to the disney parks for free and other parks for a small fee, but was still very nice not to have to drive to these places in a city you have never been to. I definitely will go back to this place it is very nice and peaceful. The only minor complaint i had was the gas bbq grills they have on site were not very well maintained. The humidity had corroded the burners and some of the grills didnt work properly but was still able to find one to get the job done. Very nice place to stay and highly reccomend

3  Thank ljgarcia1
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We went to Summer Bay to see the alleged 90-minute timeshare presentation (my traveling companion and I each qualify to buy one), and we stayed in a 1-BR (a villa, I thunk). The accommodations were okay - small, but serviceable, but the coffee maker didn't work, the spa jets in the tub didn't work and the bathroom sink didn't drain well. We didn't try the washer & dryer or dishwasher.

The WORST experience, though, was the timeshare presentation. We scheduled it for 8:30 a.m., thinking there'd be plenty of time to sit through the 90 minutes and get to a 12:30 prepaid event we had purchased off site. We informed the sales presenter that we had to be somewhere and were assured we'd be out in time.

The presenter was very (VERY) high-pressure. HR kept asking us to say 'yes' we'd buy one of the timeshares before even showing us the unit or telling us the cost. I pointed out repeatedly that we needed to know what we would be saying 'yes' to, and he was rude. After nearly 90 minutes, we reminded him we were on a tight schedule. More high-pressure talk. We both felt like we were being held hostage. Finally (nearly two hours into it) we were shown their model unit. Interestingly, there's a huge open area where you can see into the master bath from the master BR. No privacy.

We were then taken back to the presentation room, with more high-pressure talk. One strategy they use is to get you to list what you pay for vacations annually (including food and transportation) and try to con you into thinking that for the same amount, you are an owner. The fast-talking sakes rep wasn't happy when I pointed out that we'd still have to pay for food and transportation, so the only trade-off was lodging.

But wait - there's more. After yet more of his pressure, he brought in his manager, who finally showed us the dollar signs. Sorry - not interested. Another reminder that we needed to leave. But we had to talk to another guy - as with the other two, he was super friendly at first. His gimmick was to try to sell an expensive return visit (you're kidding, right?). The trick was that the entire amount would go toward purchase afterward. We said no (again watching the clock - more than 2-1/2 hours had gone by). He smart-mouthed, 'well, I'm done here!' and stalked off.

The original sales person claimed the 90 minutes 'didn't include breakfast time' - ??? We saw no breakfast. We finally got out of there more than three hours after arriving. They had trouble duplicating the information I was given about other arrangements (fortunately, I'd brought a copy of the confirmation email). And we missed our 12:30 tour. Which we had paid for in advance.

Don't go there. It was pure H*LL.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
51  Thank Marcy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Caribe Royale Orlando
#86 of 340 in Orlando
Liki Tiki Village
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!