“Nice Resort but...would not take no for an answer!”

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Nice Resort but...would not take no for an answer!”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We booked our stay at the Summer Bay Resort thru Veterans Holidays so we are not part of the time share users at the Summer Bay Resort.

We were there for 1 week. The resort is beautiful and they have tons of things to do. Hhowever, they nagged us about going thru a timeshare demo daily which was a huge turn off. We got our first call to take part in their timeshare presentation at 9:30pm the first night. We kindly told them that we had the entrie stay planned out and would not have time to participate in the meeting. I thought that took care of it, but none the less, I got another call at 9am the next morning from another hotel member. I again told them we would not have time to participate and that I had told the other staff member that last night. We continued to get calls every morning, sometimes several times a day until we checked out.
After the second call we stopped answering the phone.

Other tips about the resort, the store is way over priced. We paid $4 for a dozen eggs, you have to pay to play on the lake toys (which by the way...the lake has alligators in it!), and you do not get a towel exchange or room cleaning on a daily basis unless you pay extra for it. We opted to just wash our towels in the condo our selves.

Besides the little things, it was worth the money we paid for the condo. The nice thing was that you had all the ammenities of your home right there. If I did have to worry about sales people trying to get me to buy into a timeshare I would have enjoyed it more. Which by the way they communicate it as a free breakfast or lunch with a short 90 minute presentation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Michelle5757

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We arranged our stay via an RCI exchange. Our family of 4 greatly enjoyed our stay and since we were in town to hit Disney, SeaWorld etc the location is second only to being in Disney...being physically separated from the Disney complex by a maybe 0.5 mile as the crow flies. Rt 192 has plenty of cheesy gift shops, mini golf, restaurants of all sorts and all that is typical of the main drag of a resort town.

Our room was quite spacious with a large master suite with whirlpool tub and walk in shower. The guest room had dual full sized beds. The living room had a comfortable couch, if screen LCD tv and a dining table. The kitchen was stocked with typical utensils, pots/pans/bowels etc. The unit offered a spacious deck with outdoor furniture overlooking the lake. The front of the unit went to parking lot and located right next to the reaort's mini golf course (which I could not keep my 3yr old away from).

The resort offered several different pool areas, of which we visited all but 1. The pool area at the clubhouse is likely the busiest, but the area by Big Kahuna's bar and grill was the best...with water spray features, a large zero entry area and areas that wind around a central island. The resort offers a splash pad for kids which is quite nice however it's not heated so my son didn't much care for it. The pool area next to the clubhouse also has a sandy beach area with bouncy water playground and jet ski/boat etc rentals. The bouncy play area and rentals of course are at an extra charge. There is also fishing on the lake, which is quite pretty. Each of the 2 largest pools have bar and food. My boy loved the fries while his mom preferred a frozen beverage!

As with all timeshare resorts this one has an optional sales presentation. We decided to skip it despite the offer of breakfast and $100 gift card.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank CCATTDoc1
Fayston
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Check in was easy; all the staff throughout our stay were easily identifiable, friendly and polite. Room was comfortable and clean, I did a thorough inspection upon our arrival and wad pleasantly suprised with the results. The unit was pretty well equipped, though a baking sheet would've been helpful. We cooked 6 days out of 7, so easy to do with the Publix right there. The unit was maintenance issue free and the grounds well-kept. Loved the choice of 4 pools, lots of activities for everyone, we never left the resort. Internet is pretty common and was a little disappointed with the lack of it outside the lobby. But it was probably a good thing we got out and about more than if we'd had it in our room. Overall, I would return. I really liked that it was gated and in a good location.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank gtgutt
Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. The decorating was very nice. The people were super friendly and helpful. It was nice to have a bar and grill within walking distance in the gated community as well as a pool just out the back of the building we stayed in (there are 5 pools on the property). Our only complaint was the hard mattress, but I guess that's great for some people. It was within 6 miles of Disney, so it was easy travelling and everything was nearby. We ended up buying a timeshare and can't wait to go back!

1 Thank Megan W
virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I just stayed at Summer Bay for the week of April 14th thru 21st of 2012. I read the reviews and was a bit worried so I called like many suggested and requested building 500 or 400. They told me as I was checking in Saturday I could have building 400 (500 and 100 are reserved for Friday checkins and 400/200 are for saturday). I also requested a higher floor but without a view of the sunset this wasn't really beneficial. The room was exceptional, exactly laid out as floor plan stated. I saved so much money with the ability to cook and wash clothes in my room. The washer and dryer were small, so I did a load everyday. The tvs were old but worked great. All kitchen stuff was new. The staff from greeting us at checking to checkout were incredibly friendly. Only sales discussion I had was right as I walked away from checkin counter (that was a turn off, but what do you expect at a timeshare). I assumed it was them that called everyday, but we were never in room past 8 in the morning so we never got the calls. 6 miles from disney front gate on same road. 17 miles from universal. both were easy to get to and enjoy. I would definately recommend this. I am willing to bet that the problems you read about in the reviews are the not so silent minority vice the majority of visits being great like mine.

Room Tip: as everyone else including staff... stay in 400 or 500. Building 500 is by best 24 hour pool and bar...
9 Thank chris p
Barrie, ON
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Check in was easy, staff was friendly. The time share guy stopped us on our way out but we said we weren't interested and he left us to go on our way. We stayed in building 402. Our initial look of our single bedroom unit was great, everything looked relatively clean. Upon closer inspection, they could spend a little more time scrubbing the baseboards; they were pretty dirty and the floor was sticky. We found a cockroach one evening but shrugged it off. A couple days later we found a couple more but luckily we were heading to stay in a different room, also in 402, with a couple we were travelling with. Their room was the same, dirty baseboards and another cockroach.

We didn't spend a whole lot of time in our rooms, mostly touring around, golfing and hanging out at the pool. The pool outside 402 was very clean but was pretty warm. I read somewhere that the pools at the resort are heated - not sure why they would heat a pool when it's 90 degrees. Heated or not, we enjoyed it, but it would have been nice to have a cooler swim.

Overall our experience was postive, minus the cockroaches. It's not like the units were crawling with them (only seen a couple) but not something I am used to. The location is great, close to amenities. We would probably try staying at a different property if we return to the Orlando area.

Michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The 2 bedroom condo was very clean, lots of space & a great tub in the master bathroom. The pool & hot tub were great & open all night that was the best for us we met so many nice people. Close drive
to Disney, shopping, & restaurants. The only bad part was listening to the sales pitch to buy a time share when I said no the lady got very rude.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank redqueenbee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
#6 of 17 in Clermont
Floridays Resort Orlando
Floridays Resort Orlando
#21 of 337 in Orlando

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!