“Tastiest, most authentic tacos in the Clearwater area”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cabana del Tio

La Cabana del Tio
Ranked #262 of 690 Restaurants in Clearwater
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Belleair Bluffs, Florida
“Tastiest, most authentic tacos in the Clearwater area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Somehow, for reasons I can't comprehend, every route I drive in the Clearwater area takes me down Drew Street.

Ok, who am I kidding....I'm flat out addicted to La Cabana del Tio. If I lived nearby, I'd be here 2-3 times a day. Flat out the best tacos I've found in the Clearwater area. Just the idea of grabbing a couple of tacos carnitas slathered in LCdT's fresh-made salsa is enough to make my knees weak. Seriously folks, I've got it bad. I've eaten here about 2 times a week over the last few months.

I found LCdT by researching every single taqueria around town, and tried them all over a two month period. I thought my search was complete until I somehow stumbled on some excellent reviews for LCdT. They were all right. From the fresh-made tortillas made in front of your eyes by the smiling women, then slapped on the grill to cook, to the huge pots of meat on the stoves, to the fresh chopped cilantro, the lime wedges to squeeze over it all, then covered in LCdT's killer salsa, it's all taco heaven.

The taqueria is in a very small storefront, practically hidden by the laundromat next door. If you blink you might miss it, and I had to turn around several times to find it, and I'm glad I didn't give up. There are about 3 simple booths for 4 diners, and one both for 2. Also a few counter stools if you want to sit close and watch the cooks work. The dining area has always been neat and clean. Also, most every time I've been there it's been quite warm inside. Perhaps they don't run A/C because the exhaust fans over the stove remove so much air out, so much so that the vacuum makes the front door hard to open. Service at the counter and food delivery is usually prompt, depending on the crowds, as everything is made fresh to order.

The tacos are $2, just a bit more than most taquerias around town, but the quality makes them an outstanding value. Side orders of beans and rice will set you back about $5, but they cover a huge platter, and could easily be split by 2-3 people. Caution: They're so good you won't want to share. The beans have tons of fresh flavor, and are seasoned well. I've had 4-5 of the different taco fillings, but the carnitas have become my favorite. But there are enough choices to keep life interesting....in fact the chicken is quite good. The menu has a number of other dishes on it, but I haven't gotten past the tacos yet....hopefully someday I'll get around to checking the rest of the flavors.

Atmosphere: 4
Food: 5
Service: 5
Value: 5

In my opinion, between Senor Taco in Pinellas Park and La Cabana del Tio, you can eat the best Mexican on this side of the bay. There's no better, authentic fare to be found in the area, in my opinion. And as good as Taco Bus (the taqueria that seems to get the most attention around Tampa) across the bay can be, I'd choose LCdT hands down, every day.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank lightbreeze

Gilbertsville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Tacos in the universe!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

First off, the actual name is La Cabana Del Tio, the address on here is correct. The Tortillas are hand made. The Tacos are great. My wife and I were the only people in the restaurant that spoke English. This made ordering a little awkward, but the food was worth the trouble. When you see the place you may think it looks to simple to be so great but trust us is a huge surprise!

• Visited August 2011