“Many choices, good taste and reasonable prices”
Review of Cheddar's - CLOSED

Cheddar's
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Cheddars on Roosevelt near Hwy. 19 is near our house, so we go about once a month for dinner. Often crowded (especially during the Spring) - wait times aren't too bad and one can always choose another place, as there is a Chili's and an Applebees less than 1 miles away.

Their food is not fancy, but well seasoned and special requests are always honored. Would rank them higher than the two restaurants mentioned above for quality, cleanliness, and price.

There are newer reviews for Cheddar's

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were finally able to get away again for the weekend and decided to spend it in the Clearwater area. We returned to Cheddar's after having a great experience months before and were not disappointed. This place reminds me so much of a Chillis or Applebees except the food is much better and it is easier on the wallet. The honey croissants were amazing yet again as were the chicken tenders. Even the leftovers were good after re-heating! Also the appetizer trio was excellent. Great casual restaurant

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were looking forward to our dinner at Cheddar's. My grandparents had been there twice before and said it was great, if a little loud. But the building, inside and out, looks absolutely beautiful, and the prices were very reasonable, so it seemed perfect.

Looks can be deceiving.

First, the positive: the food was quite good (when we got it...), the bathrooms are gorgeous, very clean, and private (a plus) and as I said before, the décor is great. Very nice-looking place.

But everything else was horrible. I don't usually leave negative reviews, and it takes a lot to make me think of writing a bad review, but with this place, it was unavoidable. The noise level, everywhere in the restaurant, was way too loud. I don't know if this was because of bad accoustics or what, but it was like trying to hear while inside a cheering sports stadium. The air conditioning was so cold that I was glad I'd worn jeans, because even in long pants I was freezing by the end of it.

The waitstaff was mediocre at best. There was a table of loud obnoxious people around me (my own age, late 20s/early 30s, but still no excuse) and they were apparently friends with all of the waitstaff. Maybe they were employees there on a day off, who knows. I seldom let the performance of other guests impact my restaurant reviews because there is very little a restaurant can do about rude, obnoxious patrons...but this is an exception because the entire waitstaff basically hung out at their table the entire time they were there, laying all over the booth and flirting and generally being obnoxious -- all while neglecting the rest of us who were eating at the restaurant.

To drink, I asked for water with lemon. The "lemon" was a 1-inch piece of lemon rind with nothing else on it...I hope it wasn't "recycled" from a previous drink. When I got a refill (again asking for a lemon) I didn't even get one at all.

So then, after our drinks came...we waited. And waited. And waited. All of the tables around us came into the restaurant 10-15 minutes after us and they were served appetizers AND entrées and we were still sitting there with nothing. Finally, 50 minutes after we'd come in, we heard a horrendous crash in the kitchen. Jokingly I said that it was probably our dinner being smashed on the floor...and unfortunately, I was right. The assistant manager came out and said that they had just dropped all of our dinners (five of them) on the floor as they were about to bring them out, so they had to make them again. That doesn't explain the original 50-minute delay, but we could only laugh at this point, which we did.

After another 25 minutes, our dinners finally came out. None of the sides we ordered were given to us, my grandfather didn't get the salad he ordered, my husband's steak was extremely rare when he ordered it well done (also missing the sauce he ordered with the steak for extra), but the worst was my grandmother's grilled chicken salad, which came out RAW. The chicken was bright pink in the middle--and the craziest part of that was that the chicken was SLICED on top of the salad so anyone with half a brain who looked at the salad before serving it would know that it wasn't cooked correctly!

When my grandparents mentioned they'd been there twice before with no problems like this, employees actually said they were SURPRISED at that because they were having so many problems. (Talk about bad PR...but I prefer honesty, anyway) And the manager, who was walking around uselessly asking everyone else how their meals were, steered clear of our table and wouldn't even make eye contact with us because obviously he already knew we weren't happy! At least the assistant manager had the wherewithal to approach us and offer an apology! But the manager just floated around staring at the ceiling and ignoring us while stopping to "chat" with every table around us.

The food, while good (again, while we finally got it...and that food which we did get, since we never got half of what we ordered) was still not enough to mollify us. NEVER AGAIN!

We ended up getting out of there TWO AND A HALF hours after we arrived...and felt like we were finally getting released from prison.

1  Thank jlmr417
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife has gone to lunch here and raved about the place, good prices, large portions, so we decided to go for dinner. Well she was right. There is a great menu selection. Of course you must order the onion rings, they are special. Nicely breaded and seasoned, not buried in the breading. We ordered three different things and the portions were all huge. Biggest chicken tenders I have ever seen, my son couldn't even finish them. I had the chicken dijon and it was delicious. Two big pieces and the sauce was fantastic. We had a couple of glasses of wine each and dinner for three of us was under $50 !!! The service was very good too. Definitely plan on it being busy. We arrived at 5:30 and it was packed with a waiting line and when we left two hours later the wait was just as long. A great place with good value, definitely will return.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Food is always great and so fresh. Very reasonable prices. Tortilla soup is a great choice. One of my favorite restaurants.

1  Thank slfarner