“I was charged 3 times for my Room & had Bank overdraw fees ect. 2 others w/ us were overcharged 2!”

Candlewood Suites Clearwater
Ranked #58 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here along with several other friends & family members.We were here for a Wedding reception and I was the one to find Candlewood Suites since it was close to my nieces home that had gottent married.I payed ahead of time with my bank card & then couldn't believe it when I had overdraw fees & checks that bounced in my account! I checked my bank statement only to find out I was charged 3 times for my ROOM! I called to let them know what had happened and they said it would take 3-4 days to get my money back I was pissed because it didn't take that long for them to take it out of my account!.To make matters worse they only refunded me for 2 rooms & still charged me for my room.I wouldn't of stayed but we had over 23 people that already had made pland to meet us.They never did refund my $150- that it ended up costing me in Bank fees ect.!Other people in our group checked and 2 of them were OVERCHARGED but were able to get it taken care of because they never paid in advance.To make matters worse after everthing that had happened on the day we were leaving & putting our suitcases in our car 4 of us got locked out of our rooms.The room key no longer worked and check out wasn't for another hour.We had to go all the way to the front desk and let them know and the Manager behind the counter was very rude and acted like it was no big deal (we wonder if it was done on purpose) I HOPE SOMEONE FROM "CORPORATE" GETS A CHANCE TO SEE THIS & CALLS ME! ANNMARIE MCDONALD

Room Tip: A Room Someplace Else!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnnMarie M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear AnnMarie M,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Overall, this property is a very good property and would likely stay again; it is especially a great value for the price I paid. In fact, I actually stayed in two different rooms; I stayed two nights in one room and then thought I was going to check out to go to my apartment. However, electricity wasn't on in the apartment through the weekend so I needed a place for one more night until I could stay with a friend. That said, this review is from both rooms.

The room looks pretty newly renovated, clean, and comfortable. Beds were very comfortable with a nice balance of cushion yet enough firmness to offer some support. Decor is modern with pleasant lighting. Kitchen area in the rooms was nice with the stovetop, dishwasher, sink, full fridge, and a decent amount of dishware for all the basics and then some. Bathroom was well lit, had shelving for your toiletries, etc. and clean.

Staff was more or less pleasant, though perhaps a tiny bit impersonal. However, I was asked if I had stayed with Candlewood before (yes), so the Front Desk lady knew if she would need to talk about housekeeping policies, etc (which, being an extended stay property are a bit different from a traditional hotel). She asked if I was familiar with the "Cupboard" (snack area on the honor system for payment to your room bill). In other words, she was attentive enough to make sure I was getting checked in well. Morning check out staff was also generally attentive.

Workout/laundry area was clean and well lit. I did use the laundry facilities (which are included for free, or part of your room rate) and the machines worked well.

Location is not particularly tourist friendly and more likely business traveler friendly. However, it didn't seem at all unsafe - just not much for the tourist around.

The parts that don't quite allow a 4 rating/very good: internet is painfully slow and pathetic. It was frankly back to the dial-up days speed. This is a huge deal for me, and it seemed to me that is just the speed in general since I was there for three days. Other item is HVAC unit. In the two rooms, it was relatively loud and not particularly responsive to your settings. It seemed it was going to be either just on or off - not much in between. Because of these two things, again this property just misses the 4 mark. That said, if there is a need I could likely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wouldbeworldtraveler
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel alot and stay in a lot of Candlewood Suites. I was so excited to see that there was one in Clearwater, as I am in the area at least once a month. It was a complete disappointment. The staff was so unfriendly and their night staff looked like I had woke him up when I checked in around midnight. He didn't explain anything about the property to me, basically just handed me the keys. I had to ask how to get to my room! The room was dirty. I had to clean the bathroom and kitchen before I could use it. We went to the pool the next day and it was AWFUL! My daughter didnt want to move in the pool because it was so dirty. We checked out a pool towel and when we went to open it at the pool, it had some type of brown substance on it. It was hideous! When I took it to the front desk agent, all he said was, "Sorry". Seriously??? I will NEVER stay here again and dont recommend it for anyone, whether traveling with family or on business.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Jaime C
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Looks recently renovated. Clean rooms with nice finishes. Low pet fees. Not in the most scenic neighborhood but I guess it caters to business travelers rather than pleasure seekers. Staff helpful if a bit impersonal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Earthan
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on three different occasions as I was searching to purchase a house in the area. On my third stay, I booked online, through Expedia, Travelocity or Hotwire--can't recall which, but the transaction was NOT done through Candlewood's reservation system. I checked in the hotel, stayed six nights, and when I went to my room on the seventh day, my key wouldn't work. I went down to the front desk, and was told that my reservation was for six days, not seven. I booked the hotel after I'd booked my flight, so I know that I needed seven nights stay. It must have been a typo. At any rate, the front desk attendant told me that I would have to pay FULL price for the room for the seventh night, which was $40.00 MORE per night than I'd paid for the previous six nights. I felt given the fact I'd stayed there for a total of 21 nights during the past two months, it would have been common courtesy to offer me the last night at the same price. She refused and so I ended up paying the additional $40.00. I have NOT stayed at Candlewood again, I would not advise people to support a business that doesn't care about customer loyalty. I now stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites down the road, and have found their hotel much cleaner and more importantly the staff more courteous and professional.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank EllieMa
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Arrived late, stroppy blue finger nailed staff forced us to pay $25 just incase we got up in the night & took food from a self service shop (that relied on your honesty & filing in a form to say what you had taken & then paying in the morning).
We opened the door to our room & it was obviously unmade, we thought someone was actually in there!
Our second room was great, clean, well equipped, perhaps the best to date.
We did get our deposit back the next day & morning staff much better.
The deposit thing would put us off using this chain again, or at least the way its staff enforce it like drones.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked a trip thru travel agent for king size no smoking. When we get there they tell us all we have is a smoking double. After arguing and calling out travel ageant,we are told. Well you should have booked it thru our site. Your non smoking would have been guaranteed then. The corporate office told us that threu a travel agent they only guarantee a room not the choice of the people coming to stay. Guess I do not have to say. I will never stay at a Candlewood Suites or any Holiday Inn affiliated Hotel ever again.

Room Tip: If you want a good tip. Do not stay here
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family