“A little false advertising, but overall OK”

TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater
Ranked #53 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A little false advertising, but overall OK”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

First let me start off by saying overall this Hotel was wonderful. Clean and spacious rooms, comfy bed, and friendly staff. The location was perfect, close to eateries, grocers, and nightlife, as well as easy access to major roadways. Not right near the interstate, but within a 5 minute drive which is fine. But with all the good stuff there has to be something bad right? Well unfortunately I do not think they have a true queen bed. I currently have a queen bed, and when both me and my girlfriend as well as my dog sleep on my bed at home, we have plenty of room. The beds here remind of when I had a full, just enough room with nothing extra. Didn't mind the "coziness" but in my opinion definitely not a queen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patterd7
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying at the TownePlace Suites and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Our hotel location, just as you described, is fantastic and always very popular.

I am sorry to hear that you did like our beds. All guest beds are Queen size and I apologize that it did seem right for you.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that you will come and stay with us again!

Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Antonio
Reviewed March 19, 2014

had wanted place on beach for spring break to Clearwater/st Petersburg, fl but all were taken so settled for another hotel not on the beach. did I say settled? this place was great! the towneplace suites Marriott Clearwater, fl was spacious, super clean, 2 br 1 bath with full kitchen and utensils and dishes thrown in. flat screen tv in each bedroom and in living room. traveling with 13 y/o granddaughter who wanted her own space and so pleased with her room could hardly get her to come out of it to go to beach. staff VERY friendly and nice.conveniently located to both Clearwater and st pete so only took a few minutes to get to either area. loved it and would stay there again. great for families.

Room Tip: ask for the 2 br suite. there is also a sleeper sofa in living room. besides my husband and my grand...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Thomas J
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It's always nice to hear such great comments about the hotel.

Our location is always very popular due to the easy access to all of the major road ways and beaches. When traveling; especially with children, a full kitchen just makes life on the road a little easier.

I have shared your comments with the staff and I thank you for staying with us!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Sometimes you wonder how a great organization like Marriott continues to affiliate with properties like the TownePlace Suites in Clearwater. The property is old and not well-maintained. And it is marginal without even any pillows on the couches or plastic cups in the bathrooms. There were food stains on the couch and chair which were disgusting. The cold breakfast was the least of any I have had in any hotel in the past five years. There was no toaster or microwave in sight. Even if you wanted to take breakfast items back to your room to prepare them, like toast or an egg sandwich, they did not have them. You actually had to go elsewhere to get any kind of breakfast. The weirdest thing was that the management rule is that the dishwasher would not be run by staff unless it was at least half full. Guess what? There were not even enough dishes and tableware (3 place settings) to fill it half way.

The HVAC unit was very noisy and kept rattling. The plumbing was old and more water in the shower went down the drain than on me.

However, the bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bridgette2073
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. We take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction and I am truly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expecations.

Our hotel is scheduled for a full renovation this fall and we are very excited for this take place.

We value you your relationship with Marriott and our committed to providing you with the highest level of service. If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again.

Siikajoki, Finland
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Location is not best possible due quite high traffic nearby. Rooms were big (we had 2 bedroom suite) so lot's of space to live there. AC in main bedroom was very noisy. Also kitchen area started to be bit outdated. Lot of parking place available. Breakfast room was rather small and not so much to offer. Lot of sweet stuff like in US hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. Our hotel is always a popular choice due to the size of the suites and the location.

The hotel will have a complete renovation this fall and we are so excited! If you back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will stay with us again!

Rochester, MN
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night using Marriott points while checking out the area. The location is not ideal but we felt safe. However, when we went out to find restaurants, they were not easily found and there were a lot of bail bond businesses in the area. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the stay was quiet. The complimentary breakfast was limited. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I am suprised to hear that you did find our area/location to be desirable. Our location is very popular due to the proximatly to the local attractions, area beaches and the major roads.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but certainly hope that if you are back in the Clearwater area that you give us another try.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We only stayed one night but the hotel staff was friendly and the location was close to the interstate, restaurants, and gas. My first impression when walking into the hallway of our building was that it look dated and I could smell what other people were cooking in their rooms (floor 1 meat, floor 2 fish) but once we made it inside our room the smell was thankfully, undetectable. The "family suites" are located at the end of the hallways and have 2 rooms, a living room that includes a sofa bed, small kitchen area, and bathroom. Each bedroom had a flat screen t.v. and so did the living room. The bathroom is set up that if someone is using the toilet or shower another person can still brush teeth/get ready, that was nice. The beds are super comfortable but the mattress on the sofa bed needed to be replaced. My poor son could feel the springs. I will say that the walls are pretty thin, you can hear conversations of people in the nearby rooms. They do offer a continental breakfast which was a premade muffin in a bag, not really what I consider breakfast. Other than those small things the stay was good. A clean room and comfortable bed is what is really important.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shawna G
Christine S, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Petersburg Clearwater, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. It is always nice to hear that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations. Our location is very popular due to the easy access to the 4 main bridges, the beaches and the interstate.

Our beds were replaced last year and they are so very comfy!!! Our hotel will be fully renovated in this fall and the sofa bed mattresses will be replaced at that time.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, we hope that you will come visit us again.

Ct
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed in many Marriott hotels of different sorts. This is now one of my personal favorites. Michelle checked us in, and was very patient with me in finding the best, quietest location for us. The back of the second building suited us perfectly--lovely view, and quiet. Our room was very clean, comfortable and cozy. I can imagine staying here for several weeks quite comfortably. The kitchen was very well stocked and convenient--certainly the equal of many New York city apartments!

Quibbles: the connecting door to an adjoining room allowed noise to filter through, and conversations to be overheard.

There is a trade-off here--the breakfast is as advertised--a continental breakfast only. There were two kinds of fresh fruit, juice, several cereals, and muffins. One can make instant oatmeal with several toppings. There are only two small tables in the lobby for breakfast, but this is more than there were at the other TownePlace Suites we stayed in. I was happy with the roomier suite, low rate, and less choice for breakfast.

The staff were friendly and helpful, without exception, especially Michelle. The desk has pre-printed directions to many stores and restaurants--very efficient and useful. Cheddars' Casual Cafe (recommended by staff) a few blocks away was a terrific restaurant, although noisy and crowded at a peak time.

This hotel was centrally located and accessible for everywhere we needed to go--stores, restaurants, Tampa, main highways.

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for the kind words and sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. Michelle has been with the hotel for several years and is just a delightful lady; I am very lucky to have her on the team.

Glad to hear that you like Cheddar's, that is one of my personal favorites. There are so many wonderful restaurants in our area, but Cheddar's is till my favorite.

If you get back to the Clearwater area, I hope that you will come back see us!