“our 1st Hampton Inn stay was disappointing”

Hampton Inn Clearwater Central
Ranked #64 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is our 14th year travelling to Clearwater on vacation & our 1st stay at a HI on this vacation. We were in a 2 room 1 bedroom suite & there were a few issues with this room. Both rooms were quite large but in the bedroom, where there was a nice chair & ottoman, the lighting was so bad that it was no good for reading. The front room had plenty of floor space as well but we expected to have a table & chairs to be able to sit at to eat but not so. There was a nice large work table with a nice chair on wheels but no lamp & the only way to plug my laptop in was to pull the TV stand out from the wall to use that outlet.

The bathroom was quite large as well but once again the lighting was very poor. There were 2 ceiling lights but nothing near the mirror & with the configuration of the sink area you could neither get very close to the mirror nor have enough direct light to use as the closest ceiling light is behind you.

They have a good breakfast & the pool area is very nice as well but overall we were diasppointed with our 1st Hampton Inn experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Orginially, we had chosen to stay here for several days. Read on.
Location is iffy. Road construction right in front making it busy to go anyplace.
Staff was friendly but misinformed us on something (please read entire post).
Once we opened our door, we were greeted by a strong fragrant mixture of cleaning chemicals and building/musty smells. Luckily, we had a can of febreez.
For some reason the air duct/register in my room was extremely filthy. It was so dirty that we could see dirt/mold streaks streaking the ceiling/wall area where the air was blowing from.
Beds offered minimal comfort. Tv was difficult to operate with all the menus and screen constantly going to white.
This hotel is showing the age.
The next morning at breakfast time we ventured into the social area. Several things
on the counter to choose as the other hamptons. What stood out to my husband and I were the following- Ceramic bowl filled with fruit had a fly sitting on top, Spotted Bananas looked to have been almost mushy, Filthy Countertop (due to eggs and milk being spilled) and garbage on one of the tables.
Another note- the breakfast server who did NOT wear gloves or hair cover was also cleaning the womens bathroom which i find inappropriate to say the least. I have contacted the health department regarding that.
Brochure stand was plentiful but could use more discounts to places like Bush Garden, Disney,Sea World and Universal Films.
Needless to say, our best option was to leave.
The gal whom let us check out was friendly but did not ask questions. I had to tell her about our experience and in all honesty, we would not be returning. She offered the managers information but told me not to even bother contacting her since she never returns anyones calls. We talked for several minutes and was provided with a corporate contact whom I will also be speaking to.
Overall, i would have to say I cannot recommend this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Virginia P
Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you stay in Hampton Inns you expect a large building with all rooms on inside corridors so I was surprised to find that this was a 3 level building with all exterior doors type of hotel. Seemed like a renovated La Quinta or Sleep Inn. No where on their website does it mention this. That said the rooms had obviously recently been done and were modern and clean. But very small with tiny bathrooms, not the usual size of Hamptons. If you have kids the pool area was probably the best thing about this hotel as it was large with a waterfall and lots of character,

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank glasslover
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We ordered our roooms through hilton.com and were confirmed prepaid for a two bedroom king suite, on arrival we were given a joining king room with a two queen room. Needless to say we wondered about the difference in pay and were told that our rate was from a 3rd party, hello we booked on hilton.com? We were given a free movie in each room and my kids were told they could "raid" the snack area....My husband and I were not happy. After I two day stay we had to have the movie charges removed. The pool is wonderful but for a Hilton property the service was not acceptable.

Room Tip: be careful of ordering online even through the Hilton website for a fixed rate.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2011

As a frequent business traveler to the Clearwater area, I decided to try the Hampton since its location is very convenient for me. It's OK but I will not be going back. If you are visiting Clearwater for pleasure, I am sure that you will like it. They have beautiful landscaping and a large pool area.

But for business, it is a dud. First off, it is an old motel that has been renovated (not a bad job but you can tell that it is old - I'm not sure how old but I would guess 30+ years). So it has outdoor corridors. There is no highway noise even though it is located right off of busy US19 but you can hear every person that walks past your room. Also, there are no refrigerators. The bed was comfortable but the linens were only of average quality (if that).

For my (company's) money, I will drive nine miles south and stay at Country Inns & Suites in Pinellas Park.

Also, and this is just me...but I just cannot get past the "Hilton" name. Every time I stay at a Hampton or a Hilton Garden Inn, I cannot help but think that I am putting money in Paris's party pot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SharpestJim
Reviewed May 20, 2011

This hotel was not originally built as a Hampton Inn, but they have done a great renovation on the guest rooms and other areas. Spacious pool area with waterfall and spa. It has a wonderful "back porch" with a long line of comfortable rocking chairs. Beautiful Floridian landscaping and very conveniently located. The staff was very nice, especially the Gen Mgr. I would definitely stay here again, even over newer hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CameraGuy59
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Stayed in this hotel on the recommendation of a friend who is also interested in the Phillies Spring training games. This hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. For this purpose, it's a very convenient location. If you're interested in the beach, you should consider someplace further down route 60 which has heavy traffic most of the day and is under construction in lots of places. The hotel itself is about average for a value hotel. We had a room with 2 queen beds that were extremely comfortable. The bathroom is ridiculously small. It was clean but be prepared to be cramped. The sink is outside the bathroom with ample room for all your personal needs. Plenty of towels, tissue, etc. One more note of caution about the bathroom; the toilet flush is extremely slow and requires flushing more than once at times. Our check in was o.k. but finding the hotel room was not easy. The hotel has all outside entrances so leave your luggage in the car. The buildings have letters on them but do not indicate the range of room numbers. We stayed in room 270, second floor, and it was hard to read the room numbers from the car even on the first floor. We had an ice machine right outside our room but fortunately it wasn't working or depending what your feelings about ice machine noise is, you might find convenient. A quick trip down the steps and there was another one that was working, along with a vending machine for sodas, etc. There are only a couple of elevators and they are not spaced out very well; we had to walk a pretty good distance to find one. We had a short walk to the swimming pool which was very nice. Clean, but not heated with lots of friendly Phillies fans gathered round. There are only a few tables with umbrellas so pick one early. I found ample chairs around the pool. There is a wading pool with a waterfall and a jacuzzi that was nice and hot. Breakfast was included every morning as well as a newspaper delivered to your hotel room. Breakfast was o.k., plenty of scrambled eggs, turkey sausage links, waffle machine, bagels, danish, o.j., and plenty of coffee. The coffee is always on and this was handy when chilling at night in the lobby. We are used to staying at Marriott's but this place was close to where we wanted to be, and it is a good value for this time of year. (under $150 a night with AAA rate). Free internet is provided, and there is also a small business center off of the lobby with a couple of computers and printers that we used to print our boarding passes for the flight home. There are two places to eat within 5 minutes walking distance; the famous Lenny's for breakfast and lunch only(long, long lines during spring training), and the Tilted Kilt; something like a Hooters with a better variety of food and plenty of t.v. sets. We got in our car and went north on Rt.19 about 4 miles to a place called The Grillsmith in a shopping center. Great food, especially the crab and shrimp cakes, and I also had a fabulous Filet Mignon. By the way, there is a small refrigerator in the room that will hold cans, bottles, but not much else. There is also plenty of shopping in the area; Malls, food stores, chain food places, etc. All in all a good hotel for what we wanted to do in Clearwater.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple