“Not for Us - Yucky Room and Bathroom and Poor Customer Service!!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP
Ranked #27 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We were recently in the area for a spring training game. I chose this hotel because of the reviews. We typically try to stay with LaQuinta, mostly because of them being partners with Southwest. We paid over $100 for this room. The blankets and bedspreads were old and may have been clean, but when they are that shabby looking ... Ugh! More importanty, the bathroom was old and disgusting. Had it not been so late when we got here, and had our car not broken down, I would have stayed elsewhere. Couldn't wait to get up and get out. Speaking of our car breaking down, we had accidently gone to the LaQuinta about 7 miles away from this one. After company out of the lobby and finding that we were at the wrong one, we found our car would not start. We were able to get a ride from the wrong LaQuinta to the right one. The next morning when we got up, I asked the front desk about possibly having the shuttle give us a ride to the LaQuinta where our car was broken down. I explained that we were in a hurry as we had company coming in from out of state that afternoon and needed to somehow get the car fixed and drive across the state in time. I asked if the hotel shuttle might take us to the other LaQuinta and that we were willing to pay for it. The front desk person was very nice, but said she had to call her manager to ask. When she came back she said that he said no. So, here was an opportunity for a manager to make an impression and turn an otherwise bad experience around some. He chose not to. Says a lot to me. Will NEVER stay here again. On a plus note, Clearwater Toyota is AMAZING!!! They got us fixed and on the road within an hour of arriving there. Can't say enough good things about them and their staff!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP

Reviewed February 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed here after flying to the St. Pete/Clearwater airport. The hotel is easy to find, and offers a free shuttle (which we didn't need; we rented a car). Many others have complained that the hotel is "old." I didn't see that. The facilities are clean and well kept, and look like a typical "La Quinta." There is also plenty of parking, and we were able to park right by our room.

At check-in, the hotel was able to accommodate our need for a closer room. They gave me a poolside room, which was great. The pool and jacuzzi, although outdoor, were heated and made for a wonderful February swim. The rooms were very clean, with a microfridge and brand new furniture. The beds were very comfortable.

The service was top notch. Although I paid a discounted hotwire rate, I was treated as any other customer. I would recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We booked our stay through Hotels.com website. They screwed up our reservation and didn't book it.
When we arrived we didn't have a room or conformation # that was any good. The general manager at the hotel, Chris R. took time and called them and found out they had computer problems and lost some reservations. He gave us the same rate and made us feel very welcome.
The room was very clean and the breakfast was a good way to start the day. There are plenty of good places to eat close and it is centerally located between Tampa, St. Petes, and Clearwater.
We will stay here again and I recommend it to anybody.
Greg from Missouri

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel, I walked into a nice, airy lobby. It was basic, but inviting, and I was quickly checked in by the front desk. I was presented with a key to a ground floor room, that was non-smoking. The non-smoking room however, still smelled like smoke because another wing on the ground floor was a smoking wing. The smell was apparent, and I advised management of my displeasure, and was quickly moved to the third floor, which had no smell of smoke.

The room was clean and well-maintained. All fixtures were in good working order, and it was spacious. Linens, towels, etc. are all basic, no frills. The refrigerator and microwave in the hotel room were perfect for my family.

The breakfast in the morning was basic, no-frills, but provided an assortment of fruits, cereals, yogurt, waffles, coffees, teas, and juices. It was a decent way to recharge in the morning, but I would have preferred to have some sort of meat or protein added to the menu.

The pool was clean and well-maintained. It was very low-key in the pool area and a nice place for a quiet swim.

All in all, this La Quinta was a great value, and very well-maintained and clean. We just needed a place to sleep at night, and it was great for our needs. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 25, 2007

We normally just love LaQuinta because of their pet policy but this LQ is just "okay." No real complaints except that the keys stopped working numerous times during our 3 night stay.

I could do without the bedspreads - I prefer hotels that have washable (often washed) duvet covers. The carpet wasn't the cleanest and it smelled like someone had broken a bottle of perfume in our room.

My family will only stay at LQ if there is one located in the area we are traveling to but we will pick another one if we are back in Clearwater, the airport noise was quite loud and if you have pets it could disturb them.

I know this sounds negative but it really shouldn't be taken that way, the hotel wasn't great and it wasn't bad either.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2007

I label above average for the price....I am a local single mom of 3 and sometimes the kids and I just need a break. I am a lq rewards members so I get to check out late. Sometimes I do have to change rooms because they allow pets and no matter how much cleaning my sons allergies detects when a pets been in a room. The good thing is. The staff is always very accomodating. The spacious rooms is great for my kids. The late check out allows for us to eat breakfast, a morning swim a movie and a nap before we go back to our busy life. I love LQ.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed March 26, 2007

We recently stayed La Quinta for our vacation. The hotel was nice. It could have been cleaner. I noticed some dirt on the carpet on our floor and it was still there 5 days later when we left. Our rooms were clean. They didn't change our linen every day, but we don't expect that anyway. However, they did come in and make our beds and give us clean towels. We were happy with the rooms. The breakfast was also very good. My husband enjoyed the waffles that you can make. As mentioned by a previous comment, it is difficult to get to the front door. I'm glad I read the review first, so I would know and we managed to get in quite easily. The pool area needed cleaning. Someone spilled coffee on a table and it was there all week. The pool temperature was too warm for daytime swimming but nice in the evening and the hot tub was way too hot. My husband enjoyed it but I couldn't even get in. It really is a fair distance from anything. Lots of driving in an extremely busy section of town. Overall, we were quite happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)